Rare Photos of Survivors Description

Nov 11, 2005
Okay, so I know this is a pretty crappy thing to post, seeing as I can't show the pic( I don’t have a way to get it on the computer), but I thought a description might help to find out if anyone else has this pic, or maybe just to find possibilities as to who is in the pic. I bought a book at a second hand store, and this page was used as a bookmark(the page had pics from Titanic, but was ripped out of another book). It has written underneath the photo:
'This is one of the few photographs taken of survivors third-class passengers.'

The page is double sided on white paper, and all the pics are black and white. The pages are
191-which has the pic we are discussing, and the famous pic of the young newspaper boy delivering the tragic evening news,
the back of the page (this one is 192)
Shows a diagram in the top showing the original plans to include 32 lifeboats,
and the bottom is a pic of the ice barrier drawn out on a graph type paper.
So if it sounds familiar, please tell me!

And now, on to the pic!!
So I broke it down yesterday, after spending over an hour trying to figure it out. I tried to identify the children(9)and women (4) through a process( my favourite) of elimination.
I started to eliminate, obviously, the children that did not survive, as I thought the children would be an easier place to start(boy, was I wrong!), and the children I had photos of. That brought the list down considerably to 20 3rd-class children,(including both Nicola-Yarred's)
The children I am looking at are:

Edvin Asplund, 3 of Sweden ( I have his sister’s (Lilian) pic taken in 1912)
Marie, 5, Eugenie, 3, and Helene Baclini, 9m of Lebanon
Virginia Emanuel, 5, of America
Hildur Hirvonen, 2, of America(Finn-America)
Meier Moor, 6 of Russia
Gerios, 7, Halim Moubarek, 4, of Lebanon
Luise Kink-Heilmann, 4 of Switzerland
Maria Nackid, m 22m, of Lebanon
Elias, 12 and Jamila Nicola-Yarred, 14, of Syria
Artur Olsen, 9 of Norway
Michael Jr, 4, and Mary Peter/Joseph, 2 of Syria
Beatrice 20m, and Marguerite 4 Sandstrom of Sweden
Assad Thomas/Tannous 5m of Lebanon
Georges, 7 and Maria Tuoma, 9 of Lebanon

I have exempted Lillian Asplund, Philip Aks, William and Neville Coutts, Bertram and Millvina Dean, Eleanor and Harold Johnson, Manca Karun, and Frank Goldsmith, because I have pics of all of them taken in or around the time Titanic sank, and I know none of the kids in the in are any of the above. I have also eliminated 1st and 2nd class children, due to the pic’s writing saying they are all 3rd class. The next post will carry a detailed description of the children and women.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Sounds like the photo which is reproduced on page 175 of Judith Geller's book 'Titanic - Women and Children First'. Identities (according to Ms Geller) are: Elias Nicola Yarred and George Borak (sitting in front); and in back row (left to right): Helga Hirvonen with daughter Hildur and Marguerite Sandstrom; unidentified mother and child; Mary Nackid and baby Maria; Antoinette Mallet and baby Andre; William Borak; Louise Kink.

Nov 11, 2005
Interesting. But why is Marguerite Sandstrom alone?
And are William and George Borak the same as Gerios and Halim Moubarek?
Also, this could be the pic, as it sounds quite familiar. Do you, yourself have any suggestions as to whom the unknown woman and baby could be?

Could the child possibly be Edvin Asplund? I know he is three, but he could be small for his age. It does fit the description somewhat? And maybe Mrs. Asplund? It would interesting to know why the children's relatives are not all in the pic.

Thanks very much for the information

Nov 11, 2005
As for Andre Mallet and his mother, were they not 2nd class? This page i have says they are all third class. Could just have been mistake, and maybe it really is them.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Yes, the Moubareks anglicised their names at some time after arrival in the US. And the Mallets were indeed 2nd Class, but the photo is from a 1912 newspaper and the caption writer at that time assumed that the whole group was from 3rd Class. I'd guess that the photo was taken at St Vincent's hospital or a temporary hostel in new York. Whatever, these people were in the same place at the same time and probably quickly shepherded together for a Press shoot. There are any number of reasons why some family members might have been unavailable - bedridden, under treatment, etc.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Regarding the 'unidentified' pair, the obvious candidates would be Mrs Sandstrom and her younger daughter. The only photo I've seen of Agnes Sandstrom is none too clear, and neither is this one. There is a resemblance, but I can't be sure.

H

Holly Peterson

Yes, the 'unidentified' woman and toddler are definitely Agnes and Beatrice Sandstrom. I've seen a very clear photo of them and they are identical to the woman and toddler in this photo.

Glad to have been of any assitance,
Alzbeta

Nov 11, 2005
Okay, so i recently took to trying to identify the people in the photo and i have come to the conclusion that Antoinette and Andre Mallet could not possibly be the mother and infant it the photo. Andre was 22m, and the infant appears less than 7. I also don't think Luise Kink-Heilmann is in the photo either, i think it's Virginia Ethel Emanuel, based on the child dressed in "American" style clothing, as apposed to European.
This is who i believe to be in the photo:
Hildur and Helga Hirvonen,
Marguerite, Agnes and Beatrice Sandstrom,
Mariyah and Waika Nackid,
Thelma and Essed Thomas,
Gerios Mubarik
Virginia Emanuel
Elias Nicola-Yarred
Gerios Youssef Tuoma,
and in that order (left to right, with the last two being in front)