Rarest Titanic Item

Craig Sopin

Dec 3, 2000
Geoff: Show off. No need for me to bring up my signed photo of Leonardo and Kate then. Or my supplement to the Sphere for that matter.

May 8, 2001
I would have to say that my rarest item is only a cherished memory in the fact that I touched the D-deck door of the Titanc. Something that I NEVER believed that I would be able to do, and brought tear to my eyes, as if a dream had come true. To just be face to face with a part of her was awesome, but to touch it was a memory worth more than all the books and videos I own. To this day it sends chills down my spine! Colleen

B

Bob Cruise

My most cherished item(s)?

I bought a woolen hat which is a semi-replica of the hat worn by the crew: a pancake affair with the words "R.M.S. TITANIC" on the front of the brim (the real hats had "WHITE STAR LINE" on them because no one had any reason to suspect that the TITANIC would be any different than other White Star Liners).

Couple that with the full-length naval officer's pea-coat that was given to me by my stepmother (a navy guy who rented one of her apartments left it behind) and heads turn when I walk down the street.

Jul 10, 2005
I believe that my best Titanic Memorabilia isn't the physical that I can see and touch, but the memories that have been shared of survivor accounts and from those on this board.

I cherish and have great respect for all of you who share a love for Titanic and her people.

To one and all, I thank you.

Beverly

Sep 1, 2004
My rarest Titanic item are both (english and american) editions of Lady Duff-Gordon's autobiography Discretions and Indiscretions. The english one is in wonderful condition with some foxing; the american copy is in horrible condition but I am glad that I have them. And also letter and autographed photo from Millvina Dean.

Mary Hamric

Apr 10, 2001
I'm not able to procure much (hey, I'm poor right now! LOL!). My most treasured items are my autographed (Don Lynch) copy of Titanic-An Illustrated History, my Titanic Coal and my autographed photo of Cameron shooting the film.

Sep 2, 2009
Hello All:

I have been busy over the last few months with health issues and other new projects.

As for my most rare Titanic items that would be hard.

The top of my list would be my original White Star Line Olympic - Titanic Agency poster, who many of the old timers on the board will remember the day I located this back in 1995.

Next would have to be my original 1911 White Star line Olympic-Titanic Brochure. But you can't also count out the original Olympic-Titanic Deck Plan I aquirred years ago from Ken Shultz.

As for books on the Titanic and ocean liners in general over 1500 of them.

I also have a few choice items from various Titanic exhibitions given to me by my dearly departed friend George.

There are a lot of good memories of good people that have passed on that I also have in my collection.

Close Up image of 1911 Omlypic-Tianic White Star office Lithograph.
S. Anderson Collection, C.1995

113219.jpg

Mar 15, 2001
I don't have a deck chair off the Titanic or a 1st class dining room plate. I do have the 1912 books that came out after the disaster which are relatively rare these days. However, I think that the rarest thing in my collection is a photograph signed by Titanic survivor Barbara Dainton. Its not something you will ever find on Ebay.

K

Kevin Saucier

I have an extensive collection of authentic items (TitanicItems.com) but my favorite piece is the large oak picture frame made from wreckwood by William Parker of the Minia. Nothing like holding a piece of the Titanic in your hand. I also have pieces of the deck, some of which are for sale.

Recently I picked up a rare pre-sinking Cadbury Titanic/Olympic trade card. It is in the best condition by far, than I have ever seen for this card. I had always thought the card had rounded corners to match the tin. It wasn't until recently I discovered the corners are actually square, just rarely seen that way.

M

Matt Pereira

Dont have anything rare but i am currently seeking orignal photos on ebay. all im finding are prints of the photos which i dont want. I did think about getting this model of titanic sailing through water made 100% out of coal but thought that would be kinda dirty if it were to fall or get broken

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
Those coal Titanic's are hardly rare, Matt. You can get them in gift shops all across the world for about a tenner.
I have nothing rare, that I know of. Apart from the Daily Mirror from April 17th, 1912 - I don't know how rare that is, and I'm now questioning it's authenticity since a collector told me that, since it has only four pages it is a replica.
Looks authentic, though, and I found it in a biscuit tin in the attic of a house that hadn't been lived in for 18 years whilst working there.

M

Matt Pereira

Oh i didnt mean that the coal modelof Titanic was rare i was just saying i thought about getting one of them. I know ill never be able to afford orignal relics unless i spot them at a yard sale or something. Dont have the ability to spend alot of money

M

Matt Pereira

lol, well i can spend alot of money its just that since im going through college i dont want to end up where im going to have to get a loan or something to make the payments for college

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
About the coal -- A great deal of coal was discovered a couple years ago when James Cameron went along with a diving crew down to find the buckled plates that fell off the ship's underside right after hitting the iceberg. It was determined this made the ship sink faster than it would have otherwise. A great deal of coal was found in the area, scattered around. The is probably coal at the actual wreck site itself, too -- LOTS of it.

Thanks,
Ryan

Feb 14, 2011
My most treasured Titanic item?
Memories- of working with the Big Piece every day at the Titanic exhibit in Boston in 1998, when it still had black paint and smelled of the deep ocean....I sprayed it with a hose every day, and went home nightly stained from head to toe with Titanic rust..Opening the portholes was a thrill...
As for somthing in my collection, my rarest item is a piece of ornate wood from the aft grand staircase....

After the sinking, ships such as the Minia and Mackay Bennett that were dispatched to recover bodies also recovered quite a bit of wreckwood- one Minia crewmember named Mr Parker fashioned a section of ornate trim from one of the bannisters into a picture frame- i have one of the 'corner triangles' I bought from a private collector a few years ago- It is stunning to know it was there, dead center when titanic sank...
(some other sections of wood from that frame were sold at the Guernseys Titanic auction in NYC a few years ago)
I also have a very small piece of one of the lifejackets, which I glued to the inside of my Thayer book...
I'm very proud of my Titanic book collection- I have first edition Gracie, Young, Walker, Bullock, Beesley, Lightoller and Thayer books, as well as the original 1912 US Seanate Titanic Hearings book and the 1911 Olympic/Titanic Shipbuilders book...

Someone mentioned a vial of titanic rust- I was the staff coordinator and historian on site at the Titanic exhibit in St Paul in 1999, and we put Big Piece and mooring bitts rust into about 1000 glass vials and gave them to our 800 plus volunteers at the volunteer appreciation party. Most volunteers kept thier rust vials, but others gave them away to visitors...
I used to have dozens of extra rust vials, but gave all but one vial away- so my one remaining vial of Titanic rust from st Paul is a treasured possesion..
As for Olympic, Ray Cowell made me a chessboard fasioned from bits of wood from Olympic's grand staircase, and its a stunning piece...

regards

Tarn Stephanos
Boston MA

Aug 2, 2006
Although not rare one of my most prized Titanic related possession are the letters and emails from the families of passengers. My most prized possession out of all of them are the original photographs i was graciously gifted by a family.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
My copy of a first edition of Titanic: Psychic Forewarnings of a Tragedy would be my most valuable item, as it contains the signatures of Millvina Dean and John Parkinson, among others. Another rare item which ranks a close second, is a copy of the first printing of The Deathless Story of the Titanic published shortly after the disaster.

Steve Santini

Nov 29, 2000
That is the great thing about any collection.

It is not the value of the item that should matter most but rather the joy it brings you!

Steve Santini