Rate the Cast as a Whole

A

Adam Tarzwell

I remember at the time this film was released and the oscar buzz it generated which eventually led to 14 nominations and 11 wins that the acting while suitable wasn't the greatest asset of the film. In a sense I guess that could be true but in my opinion as a whole the casting department did a wonderful job if not only for finding people who actually looked like the historical figures they portrayed. In my mind Kate Winslet was the best out of the big 3 (Leo, Kate and Billy) simply because she was the focus of the story and she played the trapped high society girl beautifully. Bill Zane was a close 2nd because even though Cal was the villain in this and we were supposed to hate Cal Billy made the character of Cal a love to hate kind of character for me... Kathy Bates as Molly Brown was the best casting of a secondary character followed closely by Victor Garber who portrayed Thomas Andrews. I am interested in others thoughts on this subject. I may be in the minority here but getting back to Kate I think she so deserved the Oscar ahead of Helen Hunt.....

Apr 22, 2012
As far as the casting of the primary characters, I personally enjoyed Billy Zane's portrayal of Cal Hockley the best. Yes, I know he's the film's villian. Yes, I know we're supposed to detest him. However, try as I might, I cannot hate him. Never have been able to. I've always found him to be a cool character, and one of my favorites.

My vote for best secondary casting choice is a no-brainer: Victor Garber as Thomas Andrews. His performance sparked my interest in his character's real-life counterpart, an interest that continues eight years on.

Also, I felt that Jonathan Hyde as Bruce Ismay and Bernard Hill as Captain Smith were spot-on choices. They certainly looked like the real men, and did (in my opinion at least) a marvelous job of bringing these two personalities to life. Mr. Hyde's Ismay in particular has stuck with me, in much the same way Mr. Garber's Andrews has, if not more so. I've found that if I'm reading something concerning Ismay, Hyde's version of the man never fails to come to mind.

May 3, 2005
Bernard Hill gets my vote for the best physical appearance portrayal of Captain Smith.

Jonathan Hyde as the best portrayal of Ismay's arrogance (even if - questionable).

Billy Zane likewise for his arrogance (even if - a fictional character.)

Victor Garber and Michael Goodliffe in a tie for Andrews.

Likewise Kathy Bates and Tucker Maguire for "Molly" Brown (even if - actually the name "Molly" wasn't applied in 1912)

Most of the rest are all very good but "also rans".

I'm basing my opinions on 3 "Titanic" movies:
"Titanic" (1953); "A Night To Remember" (1958);
"Titanic" (1997)

Feb 24, 2004
>>I remember at the time this film was released . . . that the acting while suitable wasn't the greatest asset of the film.

Well, Adam, JC really likes his gadgets. If you listen closely to the dialogue in The Abyss, you'll hear many of the same quirks that turned up in Titanic, i.e., blatant exposition, surface emotions, actors who don't seem to have read the entire script to find out what other characters are saying about them, etc. But the technology is always terrific. To be fair, I really like Aliens and the first 2 Terminator films. IMO, they strike a better balance between gadgetry and humanity.

Roy

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
The acting wasn't awful, it just wasn't perfect. I thought that everyone with the exception of Leonardo DiCaprio did a wonderful job with their part. I thought that the actors chose to portray the real people did an excellent job bringing these people back to life. While not perfect in every aspect, I truely believed that this was the passengers and crew of the RMS Titanic (I only wish that they would have explored the historical characters a bit more). It was wise for production to retain a "core extra group" because throughout the movie you keep seeing the same faces in the backgrounds... IMO even "A Night to Remember" had some weak acting... and I never got that sense of realism that I got from "Titanic".

What can I say, I liked the acting. I thought compared to the other Titanic movies this one takes the cake.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I'm no movie fan, and when I went to see the film I didn't know DiCaprio, Zane and the rest from the Three Stooges. For me, it was Gloria Stuart first in the acting stakes, with the rest lost in her dust.

For all I know, the rest of the stars can act well, but the script gave them no chance. If you want a giggle, get a DVD of the movie, adjust your TV to black and white and turn off the sound. Watch the last hour or so, especially the scene in which Cal shoots at Jack and Rose. Pure silent flicks corn, with acting to match!

Feb 24, 2004
>>For me, it was Gloria Stuart first in the acting stakes, with the rest lost in her dust.

Hi, Dave!

Interesting you say that, because she's my choice too. Acting isn't just about chewing the scenery, fight scenes and interacting with CGI. So many of the Titanic survivors have been videotaped that I was curious to see how Stuart would compare. When I watch her, I think of Ruth Becker, mostly. For my money, Stuart had it all, even if her "story" didn't ring true (...not her fault). What a great way for a B-list actress to cap her career!
:)

Roy

A

Adam Tarzwell

Yeah Gloria did a wonderful job and yes I think of Ruth Becker too when I watch her portray old Rose.... Gloria Stuart was favoured to win her supporting actress oscar that year but lost to Kim Basigner.

Apr 18, 2014
Czech Republic
My favourite Titanic actors were: Kathy Bates, Victor Garber ( 2 Broadway stars btw:)), and also Kate Winslet. Does someone agree Victor would have deserved an Oscar or at least couple of award nominations for his performance in the Titanic film?

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
Kate Winslet is one of my favorite actresses in general, and I really liked my first exposure to her in “Titanic.”

May 3, 2005
I watched an interview with Kate Winslet....After watching "Titanic", I was very impressed by the way she did a very good impersonation of a very good very British accent ! LOL

Seriously, although many will disagree, I thought she did a very good job as "The Very American Girl" manner of speech in "Titanic".

I thought Kathy Bates was a more true-to-life portrayal of Mrs. J.J. Brown than that of Tucker McGuire in ANTR.

Kyle -
Was there something of a double entendre in your mention of Kate Winslet in her "first exposure" ? ...... LOL

Last edited:

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
thought Kathy Bates was a more true-to-life portrayal of Mrs. J.J. Brown than that of Tucker McGuire in ANTR.
Also, I think I’ve heard that historians are starting to change their perspective on the image of Molly Brown. Her personality has always been portrayed as loud and bold, but they’re starting to think she was more in the mannerisms of a traditional first class lady. Certainly she was very kind and never stuck up, (as she came from nothing) but I don’t think the portrayal in either movies are accurate.