1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rats Oh yes

Discussion in 'Animals on the Titanic' started by Bree Sage, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Bree Sage

Bree Sage Guest

Hi all,

i would just like to know if there were any rats aboard titanic & if people actually followed them to try & escape.
    Any information would be helpful if any is avaliable,

thankyou
    Bree

2. I don't know if anyone followed the rats anywhere, but like any ship of the time, rats were always a problem. Back in the Bad Old Days befor somebody realzed that putting rat gaurds on mooring lines was a good idea, the little buggers would get aboard by way of the mooring lines and head for the nearest source of food they could find.

3. George Behe

George Behe Guest

Hi, Bree!

Kate Gilnagh mentioned a rat that scurried across the floor and disrupted a gathering of steerage passengers on the night of the sinking. Also, Jack Podesta told of a number of rats that came running aft through one of the boiler rooms; later on, after the sinking, Podesta couldn't resist wondering if the rats might have 'known' what was going to happen in the fore part of the ship was were running aft in an attempt to escape their fate.

All my best,

George

4. Bree Sage

Bree Sage Guest

Thank you george for that information it will surley come in handy when disscussing the titanic.

Bree

5. Bob Godfrey

Bob Godfrey Member

Charles Pellegrino estimated the rat population on a ship the size of the Titanic to be 6,000, but I guess the vessel was too new for the beasties to have procreated to their full potential. Pellegrino also gives figures of up to 350,000 cockroaches and 2 billion dust mites. None of these stowaways were officially recorded as survivors, but millions of the mites at least must have made it to the boats in clothing and blankets.

6. Alex McLean

Alex McLean Guest

I do remember reading somewhere that a woman survived by following rats running along her corridor, but this was when I was 6 years old and no doubt my memory has changes since then. Ahh well. Pellegrino is a rather interesting author, eh, Bob? (6,000 rats!!! Wouldn't that be fun watching them all.... -_- )

7. Bob Godfrey

Bob Godfrey Member

Even more fun counting the mites, Alex! At least one is known to have survived - you must have read all those 1912 Press stories about the famous 'Titanic mite' :) Pellegrino does have some useful speculations about matters biological. As for the rest, well, as you say - interesting! Very useful also for light relief, especially his invented dialogues. My favourite is a line given to young Kathy Gilnagh, who, when told that the ship is likely to break in half, responds with "Don't you just hate when that happens?" One marvels at Mr Pellegrino's insight into authentic Edwardian speech patterns.

8. Haowei Shi

Haowei Shi Member

They are rats in 3RD class,as I know.

9. >>They are rats in 3RD class,as I know.<<

As you know what and how?

10. I'm reading the book "A Night to Remember" and Katy Gilnagh said "at one point a rat scurried across the room". I agree with what George said [​IMG]