Staff member
Geoff,

You're right, it is.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
I just saw on the news that Mr. Beaudry has been given permission by the Canadian government to sell his artifacts.

Another sad day for this forgotten tragedy.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Gavin Murphy

Former Member
Jason,

Thanx for this and I will add the following. I think he was always free to sell the artifacts to someone in Canada. What the gov't did was issue an export permit allowing him to SELL TO FOREIGN COLLECTORS.

I hope this clarifies things.

G

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Gavin,

You're welcome. I figured that's what you had previously posted, but I wasn't totally sure.

Thanks for clarifying it.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Gavin Murphy

Former Member
The crazy Canucks never give up. For more on the latest re: sale of EofI artifacts (and where to donate to the cause to keep them in Canada) see the link below:

www canada.com/ottawa/story.asp?id=A4DFCF9D-FA2E-407F-8020-9698163A49E6

G

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the link. I certainly hope that the collection can be kept here where it belongs.

I'll be donating to the cause.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Gavin Murphy

Former Member
Good show J. But too little too late. Mar. 1 has come and gone and the committee raised only 10K......a far cry from the 750K needed. Beaudry is free to sell the artifacts offshore.

Well, should Canadians be surprised? Hardly. We are, after all, often perceived as mere hewers of wood and drawers of water. We have no history.

The only one who appears surprised is the American purchaser, Leon Lyons from Florida. His quote in Sun.'s paper on the potential sale is simply "it's crazy" that Canada is letting the Empress artifacts go. Quite.

G

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Gavin,

I was afraid this would happen, but I'm not surprised. The buyer is spot on with his quote...it's definitely crazy.

What a terrible shame.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Andre Escaravage

Former Member
Interested in finding out from the manifest if any unusual metal (in bars or other form) might have been on board, other than gold or silver. Has anyone heard that something like molibium might have been in cargo.

Andre, welcome to Titanica. There was, I believe, a plan a few years back to break into the hull and recover a valuable cargo of nickel ingots. The Canadian government stepped in to prevent this.

Andre Escaravage

Former Member
> The actual dives had started before there was any Government intervention. They failed to get to ingots but they did recover a huge quantity of artifacts prior to and following the designation of the vessel as ''protected.'' Those artifacts are still around and probably form a larger load than Beaudry is planning to sell to the US (i.e. 600 items).

Andre Escaravage

Former Member
The irony is that we can't seem to come up with enough money to buy the Beaudry artifacts and keep them from going to Florida while at the same time, one individual and his paid divers are holding just as many, if not more, artifacts as Beaudry, taken illegally off the Empress. Is he to be given millions as well? This guy has even gone to Federal Court to deduct the costs of these many dives. He claimed he had no revenue (only expenses) because they were stopped from getting the nickel, or simply couldn't get at it. In fact, he won the tax case. A huge quantity of artifacts has been held in storage in the Gaspe Peninsula ever since. He can't obviously give it to a museum in exchange for a tax receipt. Its going to have to be a cash deal, likely in the US, and these artifacts will be gone for ever. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.