Re Empress of Ireland

G

Gavin Murphy

Good show J. But too little too late. Mar. 1 has come and gone and the committee raised only 10K......a far cry from the 750K needed. Beaudry is free to sell the artifacts offshore.

Well, should Canadians be surprised? Hardly. We are, after all, often perceived as mere hewers of wood and drawers of water. We have no history.

The only one who appears surprised is the American purchaser, Leon Lyons from Florida. His quote in Sun.'s paper on the potential sale is simply "it's crazy" that Canada is letting the Empress artifacts go. Quite.

G

A

Andre Escaravage

Interested in finding out from the manifest if any unusual metal (in bars or other form) might have been on board, other than gold or silver. Has anyone heard that something like molibium might have been in cargo.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Andre, welcome to Titanica. There was, I believe, a plan a few years back to break into the hull and recover a valuable cargo of nickel ingots. The Canadian government stepped in to prevent this.

A

Andre Escaravage

> The actual dives had started before there was any Government intervention. They failed to get to ingots but they did recover a huge quantity of artifacts prior to and following the designation of the vessel as ''protected.'' Those artifacts are still around and probably form a larger load than Beaudry is planning to sell to the US (i.e. 600 items).

A

Andre Escaravage

The irony is that we can't seem to come up with enough money to buy the Beaudry artifacts and keep them from going to Florida while at the same time, one individual and his paid divers are holding just as many, if not more, artifacts as Beaudry, taken illegally off the Empress. Is he to be given millions as well? This guy has even gone to Federal Court to deduct the costs of these many dives. He claimed he had no revenue (only expenses) because they were stopped from getting the nickel, or simply couldn't get at it. In fact, he won the tax case. A huge quantity of artifacts has been held in storage in the Gaspe Peninsula ever since. He can't obviously give it to a museum in exchange for a tax receipt. Its going to have to be a cash deal, likely in the US, and these artifacts will be gone for ever. Sad.

A

Andre Escaravage

> I don't want to give out his name yet as the matter is under investigation. What I can say is that he, and his crew, were the reason Mr. Beaudry called on the Government to protect the ship. They had used a boat and several commercial divers for several weeks diving on the Empress searching for the ingots up to and after the ship received her protected designation. The artifacts removed from the Empress were taken from Rimouski to the Baie des Chaleurs and held here in two 45' trucks on a farm property belonging to his girlfriend. I've spoken to him several times about these dives on the Empress and it is clear he is seeking an offshore buyer. The Committee to save the Beaudry artifacts have the name and details. They instigated the investigation.

A

Andre Escaravage

Readers who wish to contact the Canadian Committee to save the Beaudry artifacts may write Marion at czardust@telusplanet.net
She represents the group trying to keep Empress artifacts in Canada and is trying to raise money to prevent the loss of the Beaudry collection to Florida.

Nov 22, 2000
I would just say that last year, we chartered a launch to take us out to the wreck site in order to lay a wreath over the Empress's resting place. As we approached, a small vessel was at the sight but took off like a "bat out of Hell" once it had seen us - our Skipper told us that this was a regular sight and he believes that the plundering still goes on.

Nov 22, 2000
Today, 29th May, marks the eighty ninth anniversary of the Empresses loss.How sad that there has been little or no media coverage of a disaster which cost more passenger lives than that of the Titanic.
I was heartened to receive an email however from the Artifacts Preservation Committee who are doing a quite amazing job in attempting to keep the recovered items in Canada.

A

Andre Escaravage

> Your message was received early enough in the Baie des Chaleurs to contact all media immediately with a copy of your note. The media from Carleton, Quebec (cieu-fm) to CBC French Rimouski and Matane jumped on the story and started extensive coverage from the site of the Empress (Rimouski) all through the Gaspe Peninsula and down to Montreal (CBC English radio). Radio Canada is working on the story now in Matane. The time difference between you and us permitted the media not to forget this important anniversary. Pass this item on from Geoff to media all across Canada. An excellent opportunity to talk with the media about the artifacts. Thanks for the early morning message.

G

Gavin Murphy

........my question is this:

If Beaudry is now in a position to sell his Empress artifacts to foreign buyers, why hasn't he done so?

Any idea Geoff?

G

A

Andre Escaravage

> My understanding is that Committee to save the artifacts had only raised $15,000, far from the amount needed to get matching federal funding. Beaudry is now legally able to sell and send the artifacts to Florida. I don't know why the Committee doesn't keep everyone posted on this initiative through this web site. There's a communication problem with the Committee. The artifacts were to be purchased and displayed in Ottawa. There's been no news on any progress for many weeks. I suppose we can all help by bringing this problem to the attention of the media on this special day.