Re Empress of Ireland

G

Gavin Murphy

This still puzzles me.

Committee needs to raise $750K before the feds will match it to keep the artifacts in Canada. Only raised $15K so far.

Time has run out and Beaudry can apply for an export licence and there is a willing and able US buyer for the artifacts.

You would think Beaudry would pull the trigger on the deal. But it doesn't appear that he has.

There must be more to the saga that we don't know about.

Comments?

G

A

Andre Escaravage

> [It may be appraised in Canada for $1.5-million but what is the US buyer willing to spend? That may be the problem. Beaudry also claims $250,000 in expenses. The Federal Court has already ruled that is deductible from income. Surely Mr. Beaudry had income of sort during the years he spent diving on the Empress? His time diving is not worth $1.25-million (Can). That's what he appears to be saying and perhaps the US buyer can't go that high. In a normal situation, Beaudry would have been given an income tax deduction of $1.5-million, the appraised value of what he took from the Empress and Canada would have kept the artifacts.]

G

Gavin Murphy

Andre,

I seem to think the US buyer was willing to pay $1.5 US. Beyond that, ??????????????

A

Andre Escaravage

Here's the story: ''March 11, 2003 Country Canada program: We received many wonderful e-mails and phone calls concerning the airing of Country Canada's coverage of our campaign to save the artifacts. Several people said they enjoyed being able to connect a name with a face. I received inquiries from many new people who are extremely interested in our campaign. I have responded to all and extended an invitation to join us especially when we are past the March 20 critical point. Some American friends are waiting to join us too as soon as we know for certain we are "in business".

Extension of Permit. This morning a fax was sent to Mr. Beaudry on behalf of the Empress of Ireland Committee strongly requesting that he apply for an extension of at least 90 days to his export permit.

March 8, 2003 The Empress of Ireland Artifact Committee will be sending a letter to Mr. Beaudry requesting that he applies for an extension to his export permit which expires March 20/03. There is good reason to believe he will do so.

If this happens, we will have until June 20.

June 23, 2002

Canadian Export Review Board has informed Philippe Beaudry that there is another 6 month ( if not two year) moratorium on the artifacts.

Philippe Beaudry has indicated this from a scheduled telephone call with Canadian Export Review Board he had last week. They have indicated the reason being is that the artifacts are considered to be of National interest.

I believe it is very important to use this time extension to negotiate a satisfactory resolution to this issue. We do not want this to drag on and on. A collection of National interest should be purchased and placed in a reputable museum for the people of Canada to enjoy. At present the artifacts are stored in an unsecured warehouse. The Department of Heritage, the Cultural Property Export Review Board, a targeted museum, and Mr. Beaudry need to be brought together so as to come to an agreement. There is no reason for delay. The Department of Heritage will provide funds for half the cost if the collection goes to a recognized museum. There is a national museum which has indicated interest in this collection. Mr. Beaudry has indicated he will take half the sum over a five year period. There is wide support amongst the general public to assist in purchasing this collection for the museum if it does not have adequate funding.'' _________________________________________________________

G

Gavin Murphy

Andre,

Thanx. June 20/03 is the date to keep in mind, assuming they wrote and he agreed to the extension.

Let's see what happens then.

G

A

Andre Escaravage

> Here's more from the Committee that may be of interest: ''June 10, 2002 Empress of Ireland Artifacts: Keep them in Canada!!! There is great interest in and protest of the impending sale of 401 artifacts and 600 archival items to a collector in the United States. All of these items were legally salvaged from the "Empress of Ireland" or purchased from other collectors by diver Philippe Beaudry.

The Canadian Cultural Property Export Review Board has recently denied Mr. Beaudry¹s second application to export these items....for now.

I have queried many museums across Canada to see if they would be interested in purchasing this collection for the Canadian appraised value of $1.5 million dollars. The only museum which believed the collection of artifacts would fall within its mandate was the Canadian National Museum of Science and Technology located in Ottawa. The question is whether this museum can afford to pay $750,000. The Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage has indicated that it will provide a grant for the other half of the fair purchase price. Mr. Beaudry has indicated he would be willing to take $750,000 over a five year period if the other half was paid immediately.

At present, I believe negotiations are being carried on between this museum and the Canadian Cultural Property Export Review Board.

On June 8, I had the opportunity to meet with MP Anne McLellan at a function totally unrelated to this issue. Ms. McLellan is well aware of the situation and asked me "What more do you want us to do?". A very good question.

If negotiations go well and the purchase can be made, Canadians will be getting out the champagne.

But what if the Canadian National Museum of Science and Technology cannot afford to pay all of $750,000?

My answer is: "Let Canadians be given the opportunity to help this museum purchase the collection!" ( For example: 7,500 Canadians donating $100 each would complete the purchase.)

Canadians will be outraged if discussions break down and it is suddenly announced that the Export Review Board will allow the collection to be exported before we are given the chance to help out. These Canadians represent a cross-section of our society... professors, divers, historians, writers, artists, ranchers,teachers, collectors and authors to name just a few.

A huge network of people continues to keep Canadians informed of the latest developments. We are grateful for the responses shown by the Rt. Hon. Joe Clark, MP Anne McLellan, MP Bill Blaikie, MP Loyola Hearn, and MP Kevin Sorenson.

We remain determined to keep the artifacts in Canada!

Marion Kelch Box 72, Czar, Alberta TOB OZO Phone (780) 857-2340

Back

M

Marion Kelch

Hello!
I'm the chairperson of the Empress of Ireland Artifact Committee. I'm glad to see the work of our Committee is well-discussed on this site. Because of Us, the artifacts are still in Canada and we continue our campaign to purchase the collection for the Canada Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa. Donations come in from Canada, United States, the UK, and Europe. Most people are astonished that our government would allow the sale to another country. Our Committee contacted the media to remember the 89th anniversary of the sinking. If you want to know more about the artifact situation, ask me!

A

Andre Escaravage

> Its a pleasure to have you here. Everyone will now have answers to the situation relating to the purchase of the Beaudry artifacts. How much money has been raised to date? How long does the Committee have to raise the balance? Is Mr Beaudry cooperating with you? Congratulations on your work to date.

A

Andre Escaravage

> The Quebec media (French and English), where the ship is located, were only contacted early this morning following a note from one of the members in England. The English CBC in Montreal, may have already been on the story when they received the note from me. Leon Lyons, of St. Augustine Florida, the proposed buyer, does not seem to have reached a price agreement with Mr Beaudry. It does not appear he is willing to pay $1.5-million. The artifacts would go on display at his museum in St. Augustine and not be ''sold around the world.'' The Committee deserves support and hopefully will raise the $750,000 needed. Ironically, I have donated to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax and was given a receipt for income tax, not cash. The appraisals are generally higher than the market value.

M

Marion Kelch

The point is that a major collection of artifacts from Canada's worst peacetime maritime disaster does NOT belong in a private museum in St. Augustine, Florida or in any other foreign land. This collection, considered to be of great national and historical significance, belongs in a national museum in Canada. Descendants of those who perished, and of those who sailed the liner, are supporting the Committee. Every day we receive more messages from people wishing to support us.
Only in Canada would it be that a group of volunteers from across the land would have to raise money to save a major piece of the country's heritage. Of course, part of this is because the story of the Empress of Ireland is somewhat invisible in our history and culture.
mk

A

Andre Escaravage

> How can we help you? Does your Committee has volunteers who could work with us to approach the corporate sector? Can you issue receipts for income (Canada)? What else can we do to be of assistance?

May 8, 2001
89th Aniversary....Thank you Geoff for reminding us. Not a word of it out here, and I almost let this day slip past without a second thought.
cry.gif
May God have Blessed the people of this tragic event, and their souls at peace with their Maker.
PLEASE let us know what can be done, and how to go about it. If nothing else, we can spread the word, and keep the memory alive.

M

Marion Kelch

> Since we became a registered charity in late February/03 we have just begun fund raising. The latest amount received is $15,000+ but this is just donations received by word of mouth, no formal advertising. We have a number of fund raising strategies and events planned. Requesting donations from descendants of those who perished is just one of them. We are attempting to work out some arrangement with Mr. Beaudry as soon as we get more operational. We are persuading Mr. Beaudry to keep the artifacts in Canada for some time yet. As long as the artifacts are in Canada, we have a chance.

M

Marion Kelch

> The Empress of Ireland Artifact Committee sent out a press release on May 27. Perhaps our release was acknowledged more in Western Canada.

M

Marion Kelch

> [Thanks, this is very kind. We are applying to numerous Foundations but it takes a little while, possibly up to 6 months, to hear from them. We have members pretty well across Canada and yes, we are willing to approach the corporate sector. We are able to issue tax deductible receipts.]