Re Henry WOOD Engine Crew Trimmer

R

Richard Brindle

Family rumour has always had a member of the WOOD family having been lost on the TITANIC, although I have yet to identify which member until now.
According to the 1891 UK Census, one of my Grandmother's elder brothers was Henry WOOD, aged 9, born and resident in Birmingham.
This would give him a year of birth of 1882, the only Henry WOOD born that year in Birmingham that I have found in the 1891 UK Census.
I cannot find any reference to him on the 1901 UK Census, he would then have been aged 19 and possibly out of the country.
In 1912, he would have been aged 30, both his mother and father were then deceased and he had living brothers and sisters.
His elder brother Alexander aged 13 in the 1891 UK Census in Birmingham, has his occupation as Coal Yard employee. I wonder if Henry followed his elder brother into the 'Coal' business, and ended up becoming a steam ship engineering crew 'Trimmer'.

Regarding PRO Ref: BT100/259, Henry WOOD in 1912, is mentioned as reference number 97 on PARTICULARS OF ENGAGEMENT of Engine Department - Book 1, for the ship RMS Titanic.
He stated he was aged 30 years, born in B'ingham (Birmingham?, England), believed to be single and gave his current home address as St. Michael's House, Southampton, England.
In 1912, he stated the last ship on which he served was the Corinthian (Allen Line RMS Corinthian?).
On the 6th April 1912, he signed and dated an agreement in Southampton, to serve as a Trimmer in the Engine Crew of the White Star Line ship RMS Titanic, for the monthly wage of 5 pounds and 10 shillings.
It is stated that Henry WOOD was on board the ship RMS Titanic at 6.00am on 10th April 1912.
He died in the sinking and his body was not among those recovered and identified.

So, was my Great Uncle Henry WOOD, the same Henry WOOD lost at sea on the RMS Titanic, on April 15th, 1912?

Does anyone have any information at all regarding Henry WOOD lost on the RMS Titanic?

Is there any information/evidence available connecting him with an address or relatives in Birmingham or anywhere else?

Regards

Richard

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
According to relief fund records Titanic's H. Wood had a sister called "May," who was the only person from his family to receive funding. If you find a May among your Henry Wood's siblings then there is possibly a connection. I see that in the 1891 census Henry had a sister named Mary; perhaps she is a candidate, or perhaps there was another daughter born after 1891.

R

Richard Brindle

Many thanks for the information Chris.
Things are indeed getting warmer!

Henry Wood (born 1882) had a younger sister May (born 1890) according to the 1891 UK Census (Check out > http://freecen.rootsweb.com/ ).
May Wood aged 11 is also on the 1901 UK Census (Check out > http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/ ).

My mother knew aunt May and her family.

I would be very grateful indeed if you, or any other message-board member, could let me know details of:-

1.) The relief records you used and where copies may be held
2.) Is the information online and where
3.) All details from the relief fund regarding May Wood, address, benefits etc.

Regards

Richard

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Richard, it's looking promising (thanks to Aunt May!) but you also seem to be quite certain that the man who gave his name as H Wood in the 'Particulars' was called Henry. Are you sure of that? Other researchers do not seem to have got further than the initial H for his first name.

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
As Bob noted, the man signed Titanic's articles as "H. Wood" and under that abbreviated name he remains known, at least publicly. I had previously not found a given name for H. Wood, but others may have. Your Henry Wood does seem to be a likely match, however.

My relief fund list is just a summary; I'm not quite sure where the actual records are held. There are some users of this forum who do have access to them so perhaps they will chime in shortly.

R

Richard Brindle

Many thanks Bob and Chris for your posts.

Yes, I was being presumptive, my question should have been " So, was my Great Uncle Henry WOOD, the same H. WOOD lost at sea on the RMS Titanic, on April 15th, 1912? "

I have telephoned Aunt May's son this evening regarding various WOOD family members (genealogical enquiries), and he remembers his mother mentioning a family member being a 'stoker' on board the Titanic, but he couldn't identify which one.
No information available about receiving any relief fund benefits except something regarding the family member lost on the Titanic having a 'winning lottery ticket'.
Was this a garbled description of some benefit received?

I hope someone can supply the full details regarding relief funding to H. Wood's sister May, whom I believe to be our Aunt May.

Regards

Richard

A

Andrew Williams

Richard,

I hope this helps your cause.

Class "G" Ref No:- C263, May Wood. The relationship with Henry is listed as "Sister".

Andrew W.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Could somebody please advise me what content is available in the repro 'Titanic Relief Fund' booklet sold by the Titanic Historical Society? Does this contain all the available facts and figures, or just the summary that Chris mentioned?

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
The THS book is the one I was referring to as a summary. It contains names and relation of each dependant given funding along with their case number and fund class. There are also various figures relating to how much a case gets paid by class and number of dependants.

Unfortunately, the associated decedent for each case is not named. This often makes it difficult to mach up who goes with whom in cases where the dependant has a common name, or different last name such as a remarried mother, illegitimate child, or co-inhabitants. It does not contain minutes or descriptive notes about each case.

R

Richard Brindle

Many thanks Andrew for the latest information.

I'm sure there must be some more information/evidence somewhere.

Any further information would be greatly appreciated everybody.

Thank you all very much for your help so far.

Regards

Richard

R

Richard Brindle

Regarding the repro 'Titanic Relief Fund' booklet sold by the Titanic Historical Society, and the entry 'Class "G" Ref No:- C263, May Wood. The relationship with Henry is listed as "Sister".'
Could someone please confirm whether the entry is made regarding H. Wood or Henry Wood.

regards

Richard

R

Richard Brindle

Regarding PRO Ref: BT100/259, H. WOOD in 1912, is mentioned as reference number 97 on PARTICULARS OF ENGAGEMENT of Engine Department - Book 1, for the ship RMS Titanic.
He stated he was aged 30 years, born in B'ingham (Birmingham?, England), believed to be single and gave his current home address as St. Michael's House, Southampton, England.

Is there any information available on St. Michael's house in Southampton?

Was it a hostel?

regards

Richard

Apr 27, 2003
Richard,
Yes, indeed, St Michaels House was a hostel or 'Flop-house' it was a giant stark Victorian building near the Docks (now demolished), it was noted for the fact that it never had a single fireplace in it - it was just not heated in any way at all. The Occupants paid for a nights sleep in a small stark (very cold) cubicle which they had to wash out first thing in the morning. Such was life then.

Here is my printout for Mr. Wood:
Wood, Henry. Lived at St. Michael's House, St Michael's Street, Southampton. Occupation - Trimmer. 30 years old. (Born in Birmingham).
(From: Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund Booklet, March 1913).
No, 263. Wood, May - Sister. Class G dependent.

Have you any more?
Chers

Brian

R

Richard Brindle

Brian,

Many thanks for the information on St. Michaels House.

For your interest:

I still want to find out H. Wood's sister May Wood's (my maternal great aunt May) address in 1912 - 1913 in Birmingham, to conclusively prove that 'our' Henry Wood is the H. Wood listed on the Titanic Engineering Crew list.

With reference to the earlier post on this thread, how do we know H. Wood on the crew list is Henry Wood?

As H. Wood lists his previous ship as the Corithinian, I would like to find his signing on details with that ship to see if that provides any further information.

The Birmingham Central library has micro-fiche copies of the Birmingham Daily Post, the Birmingham Mail and the Birmingham Gazette.

However, reviewing the April 1912 to April 1913 daily newspapers is an excruciating task when on micro-fiche, I tried three hours of it without success and a lot of excruciation! Something for the future when I can afford to stay in Birmingham and devote the time it needs.

Also part of my family genealogy research is Henry's younger brother William (b. 1894). May's son has William's WW1 Next Of Kin Memorial plaque but no other information. We think 'our' William is 4759 Private William Wood of the 1st/6th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment, KIA near Serre on the Somme 1st July 1916 and remembered on the Thiepval Memorial (http://www.cwgc.org./cwgcinternet/search.aspx). This I also need to further research and prove. The Soldiers Who Died In The Great War (Book and CD) lists 4759 William Wood, enlisting: Birmingham, residence: Saltley, Birmingham. A visit to the PRO is required to find William's Army Service Record that should indicate his age/DOB, next of kin and address.

Henry's elder brother Alexander emigrated to Australia before WW1 and he was with 1st Squadron, 1st Remounts, Australian Imperial Force, in Egypt 1915 - 1916. He eventually returned to settle in Yardley, Birmingham with his family, after WW1.
I thought this would be the hardest one to research out of the three, however it has proven to be the easiest as the Australian War Memorial is an online website (http://www.awm.gov.au/index.asp) and has all the information I need, including age, next of kin and address. Alexander went to Egypt on the Orient Line S.S. Orsova / HMAT Orsova (http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s=fa2ac72e7913680cf76b968be41131bc&showtopic=8826&st=0&#entry67307)

Henry Wood senior, father of all three, was a Glass Blower/Glass Maker with his own Company in Birmingham, further research on him is required and the coloured glass industry.

That is not all, so much else to research!

Best Regards

Richard

85497.jpg

Mar 28, 2002
Richard,

A while back I made notes on all passengers and crew with connections to the West Midlands. I drew up a list of around 30 or so names. I recently found the notes again and so I will post whatever I find when I get home tonight.

Cheers,

Boz

Sheila

Jan 3, 2011
Hello Richard My name is sheila grand daughter of Grandma Wood (sorry I do not know her 1st Name) She had 16 girls and 1 boy(deceased). Of the 16 girls I only know a few details of 7 (includes the boy Leonard) My mother was the last child.
Reading your research findings made me wander about possible family connections. You could be a nephew or cousin of mine as the first “girl” was married with a child before my mother was born! I have worked out that the first child was probably born between 1891 therefore the Wood family would possibly appear on the 1891 census. The fist of my relatives would have been 21 when the Titanic went down in 1912 and could be your grandmother?!. would be good to make contact to explore any links in family history best wishes Sheila smc194002

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, sheila---

Please be aware that Richard Brindle hasn't visited us here in more than four years and last posted to this thread in 2004. It's therefore unlikely that he will see or respond to your message.