Real footage of the Titanic sinking

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
> [Hi Mike, Refresh my memory but wasn't the fish ex RatTail now Founder brought up by the Imax expedition under the leadership of Ralph White and Charles Ira Sachs. I thought that their onboard scientist had it recovered]

Jan 29, 2001
Precisely correct Jon. It fell apart like a dish of TOFU or something...I recall the eyeballs
growing imensely and protruding from their sockets...the opposite of an implosion...end result of the relieving of the 6500 p.s.i. they contantly endure.

I have not seen or heard anything from Mr. Sachs of late. His segmented interview in "Treasures of the Titanic" was very open and to the point in regards to salvage. He is also in possesion of some beautiful and unique WHITE STAR LINE serving ware. I recall that a similar one was recovered from the TITANIC scatter field however it had lost all of it's distinctive first-class pattern.

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Michael C. Re my previous post RatTail Founder last word should have been Flounder.
Re Real Movies of Titanic. If you look at the photos of the Titanic going out on trials you see a person with a movie camera on the river bank taking movies of her as she goes by. ANYBODY ever do any research about this person OR the one supposedly on the quay as the ship left Southampton? Now theres a challenge.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Hi Jon,
You may just have lit my touch paper on this! I'll do some digging.... by the way, could you, or someone please post a picture showing the person(s) on the quayside at Soton with the film camera? All the pictures I have seen of Titanic's departure are of too low a resolution to see anything in any wonderful detail.

Best wishes

Paul
--
http://www.paullee.com

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Alicia,
actually, it's just a black and white PhotoShop rendering with a lot of blur filter added - a rather shoddy job with all my cut/paste and rendering lines, but just a quick thing to show how difficult it might have been to take a picture of a sinking ship at night with a primitive camera...
Below is a drawn sample of windows and ports prior to heavy "tweaking" ...

85213.jpg

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
> [Hi Paul Of all the multitudes of photos/slides I have do you think I can find that one. I am pretty sure it was published in the local paper back in 1912 and I have seen it many times. In fact James Camerons film show the person doing the filming as the bow goes by. There was another one as she left on her trials where a motion picture photographer had his camera set up on the bank of the river filming her as she went by. But when I had the original negative and printed it I did the stupid thing of cropping it thus no photographer. But wait this picture (Next Post) might give you an idea as to more photos in this area I hope. photo from Joe Carvalho/Jon Hollis collection ]

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Paul here is the photo where there was a cinematographer filming ob this bank.
photo joe carvalho/jon hollis collection
85222.jpg

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Hi Joe,
Thanks a lot - I remember the photo seeing all the people on the river bank with their box cameras. I may just have to do some digging on this issue!

I've had a look at some pictures of the Titanic leaving Soton, and I can't see any cameras in use. I looked at the best candidate - the Father Browne shot of the quayside at Titanic pulled away, but I couldn't see anything, even after staring at the picture for hours - oh, my poor eyes
happy.gif

Best wishes

Paul
--

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Paul, I did give a friend of mine the photo before I cropped it and it shows the movie camera. But getting hold of him and trying to get him to bring it here so I can scan it off to you might take longer who knows when, BUT I shall give it a go. By the way did you know that Mr. and Mrs. Straus were on the Olympic when she had the collision with the Hawke. I have a letter she wrote and posted from the Titanic at Queenstown telling about that incident and about the Titanic. It was a letter to another store owner (Burbridges) thanking Mrs. Burbridge for the flowers she had sent to the Straus' stateroom. I do not know how it would scan and transmit but if your interested let me know and I will give that a go as well. Cheers Jon

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Nothing to do with this thread so I have just posted some very interesting news frm NCL about the United States on the United States thread
Cheers Jon

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Hi Jon,
I got your email thanks! I will do what I can wrt: QM2

Btw, I think a full uncropped copy of the Belfast picture can be found in Eaton and Haas. The problem is scanning it in: all those dots cause havoc with the rendering!

Cheers
Paul
--

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I recieved an e-mail earlier Dan Cherry expressing the concern that the photo posted by him could be mistaken for Titanic and a concern expressed by same that things may already be going that way. For the record, let's be absolutely clear that the photo posted on 2 March, 2004 - 3:46 am: is NOT an actual photo of the Titanic going down, but a work that Dan created to demonstrate how the ship might and probably would look if she was photographed while sinking.

I hope that this helps avoid any potential misunderstanding.

Feb 24, 2004
Hi, all!

I've been following this thread with interest, particularly the short discussion of William Harbeck.

Interestingly, Will Harbeck was regarded as being such a picture of strength and good health, a number of motion picture trade journalists just assumed--prematurely--that, not only would he have survived the wreck *as a matter of course*, but that he *would* have secured films of the sinking AND somehow been able to rescue both himself and the films in the process. Even his own family was surprised by the news of his death, since they knew him to be such a strong swimmer.

I'm sad to say that four of his cameras and most of the 110,000 feet of film he had taken with him in anticipation of his just-cancelled cross-Siberia trek (and which he was now schlepping back with him to the US) were down in the Titanic's cargo hold. He retained one camera for his own personal use in fulfilling his $10,000 White Star contract, but the area of the ship where he would have had his room was the hardest hit during the break-up.

Anyway, here are pieces from a couple of articles that should give you some idea just what the film trade folks were thinking:

THE KINEMATOGRAPH AND LANTERN WEEKLY, April 18, 1912, p. 1385:

"...Mr. [Will] Day informed me that he had supplied Mr. Harbeck with no less than five different cameras and other apparatus to take back with him and the last camera he loaded for use on the voyage, so that should anything happen worth recording he might be equipped ready. Certainly if he has secured a picture it will be of the greatest wreck in history."

THE KINEMATOGRAPH AND LANTERN WEEKLY, April 18, 1912, p. 1387:

"...He [Harbeck] elected to return by the "Titanic" with the idea that as it was the first voyage, some interesting pictures might be secured, little expecting that he would find himself in the centre of such a serious calamity. Mr. Harbeck took back with him a good deal of trade requirements, amongst them being five new kinematograph cameras, one being loaded ready for eventualities, so that there is every probability that such a keen business man as Mr. Harbeck will have procured some vastly interesting pictures."

Best wishes!

Roy

David marbeck

Aug 22, 2004
I got pictures of titanic that have never been seen be 4 except from my family. My great grandfather was a amatuer photographer and took photos from the departure until early morning of april 14th. im not interested in titanic and am willing to give them away. they are just dust collectors and if no one wants them i'll just throw them. are they rare?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>are they rare?<<

Unless we could see them for ourselves, we really couldn't answer your question. You might want to have them appraised, or simply offer them up n Ebay rather then pitch them into the dustbin.

A

Aaron_2016

Reminds me of the time they showed Titanic inside a London swimming pool. People with very odd tastes in entertainment.

106367_239.jpg

91ec839a313857a3.jpg

titanicwatch4.jpg