Real-Time Empress Of Ireland Sinking

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
Looks about right for a night of freezing terror in a the currents of the St. Lawrence.
My recollection is, she immediately rolled onto her side and steadily went down by the head. It was fast and dark, and the sterndidn't rise, so much as make a final gush of air. Like the others, her bow hit bottom first, but it wasn't a long struggle.

Dec 23, 2017
Here is a quick Preview (Note: Nothing is done and im still learning) There is a full 14 min version but i dont think its good enough to show. I my self am not a fan of the port holes and wish i could find out out how H&G achieved the effect in their videos
Code:
_EDIQQvyp1Y

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
Great precursor! may I suggest, although I will be first to admit I may be historically inaccurate: Shouldn't the "Empress" heal over much faster, and more dramatically? My recollection is, she took a violent list of, like, 15 degrees, immediately. I suggest the footsteps should be a bit more "panicky". I happen to like the flickering port hole lights. I'd expect to see the "Storstad" in the distance, at least fading into the foggy darkness. The dramatic loss of lighting is very chilling. Of course, we'll have to get out our 1914 night vision goggles to watch the rest of the disaster take place.
This is a challenge, but I believe you are doing extremely well with it. Thanks!

Henry Sincic

Sep 11, 2017
The Storstad should be visible for most of the sinking. It eventually drifted astern of the Empress. I'd also have to agree and have the Empress take a bigger list at the start. Good start, though.

Reactions: Itsstillthinking
Dec 23, 2017
Nice! Was reading the book Fourteen Minutes: The Last voyage Of The Empress Of Ireland and it seems to indicate that the ship rolled over around 2:06, not 2:09, which one should i go with?

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
Very unscientific opinion, but I'd go with 2:09. There was a lot of air escaping from the ship, and I'd like to believe the vessel gave them three minutes more time. I know it sounds dumb, but three minute is nothing in such a situation. Who could believe an ocean liner disappearing in 14 minutes? It seems impossible.

Dec 23, 2017
Okay, maybe i should take make the ship rolling over at around 2:08 to make it more of a balance between the two?
Il see if i can upload a draft of the animation soon for you guys to see

Kas01

May 24, 2018
Well, it certainly sounds dumb, but even Estonia, a far smaller cruiseferry by enclosed volume, took five times as long as Empress of Ireland for it to capsize.

Jakob Sweeney

Mar 5, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I am making a 3D model of the Empress of Ireland and i can't seem to find any blueprints. I am making still images and an animation. I'm also in a debate with myself about the livery she had the night of the sinking.

Last edited:

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
Whatever the timing is, it's all too short in the darkness, with sloping passageways, sliding furniture, and cold water bubbling up in feet-per-minute increments.
Regarding "Estonia", the difference is the modern construction and leaking around bulkheads, rather than free-flowing. A much longer sinking, but somewhat similar in disasterous proportions would be the "Sewol" ferry in S. Korea.

Dec 23, 2017
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! How far over should the ship heal over you think in 1 minute intervals?

As of right now i have
Lights fixed to be more realistic in how they die
Smoke from funnels that stops once the funnels go under
Storstad in place and currently putting lights and animating

Reactions: Harland Duzen

Kas01

May 24, 2018
Well, given the choice of going down in Estonia (or for that matter Sewol) or Titanic, I'll take going down right-way-up every day and twice on Sundays.

Dec 23, 2017
Well the Empress did have (not including dozens of port holes) 60,000 gallons of water a minutes entering her in the start, that most likely doubled and then tripled as time went on

Dec 23, 2017
Just cracked how H&G did the port holes, will redo the model with this 100 percent as it will look a million times better