1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Real-Time Lusitania Sinking

Discussion in 'Final Voyage Sinking and the Wreck' started by Itsstillthinking, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Hey all i started thinking again (sadly when i start thinking i dont stop :p) and i think its possible for me to animate a real time Lusitania (and possibly Empress) sinking due to how well the final 20 min of the Titanic went. However if im going to do this im going to need some help from people. I think the first two are 1) If anyone knows where to get one or possibly wouldn't mind sharing a semi decent model of the Lusitania that be great (il look around for on too) 2) if people could help share any info/resources on the best guess on the angles of the ship ect or when she hit the bottom that be swell too. I think this is quite possible due to the Lusitania is less complex of a sinking than the Titanic. Any help is much appreciated!

2. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

I assume she sank almost exactly like the Britannic, except none of the funnels failed, there was a (probably boiler) explosion after the initial hit, and she sank much faster.

3. Whats interesting with the Lusitania is that George H. who was six watched the ship get hit and sank from the Irish cost and remembered it quite well, he said "and gradually the bows went down, and as the bow went down the stern came up. And as the stern came up her propellers came clear and she was quite clear of the water. Then she seemed to pause and as if just on a slide she slowly slid beneath the waves quite dramatically, the sea was boiling and the liner disappeared." Im going to guess that the "pause" was the ship striking the bottom much like the Britannic, except the starboard list was much more extreme from the start. Il most likely reference "Dead Wake" (excellent book) and maybe a little of murder of the Atlantic. Certainly not the final plunge as the ship was only 300 feet of water and i dont think it could have gone vertical

4. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

Yeah, the Lusitania could not have gone vertical.

Martin Owen Cahill likes this.
  5. Was thinking i will base the sinking off these photos below. Im assuming Kens final plunge painting is after the bow hit the bottom and it was "flattening" to a even keel as the stern filled with water. Any opinions are great! I will try and also use the wreck paintings to try and guess what happened but as you can see it will be difficult to do. On a side note does anyone know why the stern of the wreck is well just a mess? i know the Irish government used it for depth charge practice during the war but she was in such poor shape by 93
    13_lusitania.JPG 15_lusitania.JPG 367-wreck-bow1.jpeg 442 LW1994f_KM_lo.jpg KM-titanic6.jpg lusitania_7_may_1915.jpg lusitania05.jpg LW1993b_KM_lo.jpg the_final_plunge_ken_marschall_by_lusitania25-d88j89p.jpg Lusitania Stern.jpg

6. I must say this is a very accurate model of the Lusitania ;)
    RMS Lusitania

7. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

Oh my god :D

8. I dont think iv seen anything so beautiful, the models iv been using are garbage :D

9. Once i fix the funnel and texture errors i think shes ready to go!
    Screenshot (43).png

codad1946 and Harland Duzen like this.
  10. Finally cracked the texture error, over the next few weeks il work on the model and the Titanic real-time sinking

11. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

Looking good!

12. I will see if i can animate the sea somewhat. iv never dine that before (animation water sucks) but it might be possible. At the very least i will get a better water texture

13. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

I assume the animation of the sinking itself will be much easier than Titanic as the whole of the ship was mostly unaffected on the surface (no splitting or falling funnels).

14. Should in theory. Im going to try and do some more dynamic animations in the sinking as i think i can do it. This will most likely take a few weeks but this im almost certain should be done for the anniversary (Maybe Empress too? as that is even quicker but i want to master lighting for that one)

On a side note does anyone know where a decent Lusitania sinking timeline/time stamp is? These things take time to get right and Dead Wake has a fairly decent one but i know from the amount of watches people where timing events though out the sinking so there has to be a more complete list out there

Also i fairly certain the number 1 & 2 funnels fell once they where mostly submerged, as several people where sucked into them and spat out

15. Its going to be a long tedious job of fixing all the textures but here are some interesting views
    Inside.jpg Inside2.jpg

16. Did a little water test, tell me what you think!

Harland Duzen likes this.
  17. Been toying with the final angle of the ship and since we know she hit bottom before setiling back the angle she would have had to be at. Height with the ocean fairly accurate

What do you guys think?

Screenshot (47).png

codad1946 and Harland Duzen like this.
  18. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

To be honest, I’m not too familiar with the actual sinking of the Lusitania, as I haven’t read through testimony like I have with a Titanic, but based on the fact that she hit the bottom, had a starboard list, and survivors saw the propellors, I’d say it’s fairly accurate.