1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Real-Time Lusitania Sinking

Discussion in 'Final Voyage Sinking and the Wreck' started by Itsstillthinking, Feb 17, 2018.

1. So im deciding what interiors to put in, the problem is i want to keep ploy count as low as i can possibly get to make sure people can have a good frame rate with decent graphic settings, not to mention VR compatibility.

Im planning to 100% include the main stares to as low as D deck then having some invisible walls, but im wondering out of the areas i show below, which ones should i keep? Corridors or the lounge?

Attached Files:

2. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

Since the ship sank so fast and the player would mostly be running around watching everything, I would personally keep the corridor* as it and the stairwell would serve as a indicator to the player / viewer of the interior water level and how much time is left.

*I've admit I don't know the Lusitania deck-plan so well but it would depend where the lounge and corridor are.

Hope this helps.

3. Okay that sounds better, as i dont have to match anything on A deck and only have to put models in the ares of the new model that have nothing inside

Harland Duzen likes this.
  4. Attention everyone, currently looking for someone who has a VR set to test a early build of a VR demo just to get a idea if it is possible for me to make a demo capable of it

5. So here is a quick test i did with VR
    WindowsNoEditor.7z
    if someone can test i have two things i want to know
    1. Does this actually work with VR period?
    2. Whats the scale feel or the framerate?

if in the end no one here has any way of testing VR i will abandon the idea until someone will be willing to test

6. PRR5406

PRR5406 Member

Absolutely stunning representations of the ship in the process of going under. The earlier shot, looking up the stacks, and the one of the prop under water, had me amazed. These angles of the ship, including the newer details, are astonishing. This is nothing like the usual graphic representations.

7. Just wait until the new model is done!

Attached Files:

8. sorry for the frame rate issues as im recording the screen but here is a quick test on a menu design and collision test. Complete with floor clipping!

9. PRR5406

PRR5406 Member

The immediate heeling over to starboard is quite good. Just a guess on my part, but one the bottom of the bow blew out, wouldn't she have pitched forward more rapidly? Not finding fault, just considering the effect of that secondary explosion.
    Such a well rendered model!

10. Thanks, the ship did two distinct motions within 10-20 seconds after the torpedo. A forward motion and the more dominant starboard motion. The ship a mix trim never reached more than 8-9 degrees

11. Been trying implementing water now
    HighresScreenshot00000.png HighresScreenshot00001.png HighresScreenshot00002.png HighresScreenshot00003.png HighresScreenshot00004.png

12. PRR5406

PRR5406 Member

That water looks plenty menacing.

13. "the stairwell would serve as a indicator to the player / viewer of the interior water level and how much time is left." Charles Lightoller did this on the Titanic. It would not be possible because the stairs were designed differently. The open well space on the 1st class stairs was where the elevators were placed.

Personally I would stay outside if I were on the Lusitania, head aft and put my energy into release the collapsible boats under the docking bridge [and try to stay out of the water- 10C will kill you within the hour w/out lifejacket] Many in the water were unconscious or dead after 2 hours when the first rescue ships arrived.

14. red line shows attack solution. [where ship was when the torpedo was fired..]

15. How long did it take from the firing of the torpedo until it hit the Lusitania?

16. Still working on the models and interiors slowly, hoping to have a environmental preview in the next bit, after that its working on the shore line, then effects like steam, smoke, explosions ect then starting to do the final animation. After that is sound design for the demo, im looking for any ship sinking sound effects out there like ship creaking ect as its sinking. Or any other effects you think are cool

Peter Fordyce likes this.
  17. So i finished the interior models and put them in the engine, and i have some sad news. The "Game" runs fine as the ship and its sinking, however with the interior sections in the model now, the performance took a huge hit from a solid 30 FPS to like 12. I am now debating if i should phase it out completely or just include the A deck section and part of B deck, but just have a invisible wall making you not able to go down pas A

Old screenshots (ignore the model errors)

Attached Files:

18. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

The interior model looks too good with the amount of detail you put in to remove completely. As you suggest, keep A and B Deck*.

*Is it possible to include the other sections of the interior in pre-recorded or animated Cutscenes?

Lastly if you want to include crowd screaming sound effects, this Titanic-sound-effect video would probably work with the Lusitania.

19. Il try my best on compromising and see how much i can have, and thanks for the sound effects

20. So after lots more testing i have come to the sad conclusion that in order to make this demo more accessible (and easier to make for myself) im going to have to cut the interiors from the demo. Even cutting it to A Deck only and only having what can be seen from A deck to B and C deck it still adds to many polygons for it to have a stable 30 FPS. And while yes it is possible for me assume most people can have a better setup than me in terms of power, this also makes it much more of a pain to make as the editor is a far more recourse intensive program, meaning that it runs worse than in game for me. And when one is managing the ship, and animating 20 boats, smoke, land and water it all adds up to a 10-15 fps working environment. And while it is doable, after dozens of hours of working it can become beyond annoying. Sorry everyone, luckily i still plan to show it in the animation with interiors flooding