Real-Time Lusitania Sinking

Dec 23, 2017
To be honest, I’m not too familiar with the actual sinking of the Lusitania, as I haven’t read through testimony like I have with a Titanic, but based on the fact that she hit the bottom, had a starboard list, and survivors saw the propellers, I’d say it’s fairly accurate.
Nor was i. Iv spent the last few days going over countless books and survivor testimony and photos of the wreck to get the full understanding. Il make a dedicated post about the timeline and angles ect to hear peoples input to make it as accurate as i can. I can name about 9 people off hand of saying she reached about a 45 degree angle and "pausing" for about 30 seconds. Considering that the first 100 feet or so of the bottom bow is just missing and he back is broken this leads me to believe that she hit bottom going at a good speed destroying the lower forward hull and (much like if Titanic hit the berg head on) kept going until the keel broke its back. You can see it good here.

15_lusitania.JPG

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I had always thought that the bow hit the bottom while the stern was still hovering above the water, much like the Britannic. Is there any testimony that ever suggested it?

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
927. ...and then she went down by the head
herself, and. I take it as far as I can
judge, she upended herself until her
nose touched the bottom and then she sank
down herself.

928. So, according to you, she got into a
position almost vertical? - I should say
she had an angle of about 30 degrees from perpendicular.”

"The Lusitania did not go down anything like head first: she had, rather, settled along her whole waterline. This comvinces me that practically all the ports must have been open, even those as far down as Deck E.
The stern did not rise anything like perpenicular, nor did it rise so high that I could I see a single one of the propellers or even the end of her rudder. Not one of her funnels fell."

These seem like very extreme opposites, but I suppose as we review Titanic testimony, we can see the same effect.

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
I think it's a great project. Be extremely careful with depths and heights. Her bow probably broke as she ground into the ocean floor. Remember she sank very, very, quickly, with her bottom blown out in the forward section; estimated something like 19 minutes. The stern height seemed huge, compared to boats and victims floating alongside. Her props continued to turn for a long time, until seawater hit the boilers.
If you illustrate her bow hitting the seabed, be sure to include the lowing up on mud and silt.
Looks like a really interesting project. Don't use "My Heart Will Go On" anywhere in the piece!

A

Aaron_2016

The Lusitania Inquiry might also be tainted with the same kind of whitewash that affected the Titanic's Inquiry, perhaps more so, as allied propaganda played a key role in the war. Able seaman Leslie Morton testified that two torpedoes struck the ship. e.g.

"I saw a big burst of foam about 500 yards away four points on the starboard bow. Immediately after I saw a thin streak of foam making for the ship at a rapid speed, and then I saw another streak of foam going parallel with the first one and a little behind it."

Q - Are you quite clear in your recollection that you saw two of these streaks of foam?
A - Absolutely.

Q - Could you tell us, as to these two streaks of foam, how each of them was heading, explaining it in relation to the funnels?
A - They were fired, it seemed to me, at right angles to the ship's course. The first one seemed to hit her between number 2 and 3 funnels, and the second one just under number 3 funnel, as far as I could judge from forward.

Several survivors testified that the funnels appears to loom right over the lifeboats as she listed heavily to starboard. Mrs. Royd was asked:

Q - What happened to you. You got into the boat?
A - Yes; but the list was so strong that we could not walk down. We had to sort of rush down, clinging to the railing, which at that time was nearly under water, I should say, and sort of tumble into the boat, assisted by passengers and seamen. We no sooner got into the boat than it was lowered with another boat on top of us, and a funnel fell on to us.

Q - Do you mean it really actually fell on to you?
A - Well, directly we got into the boat, we were aware of another ship's boat being lowered on to us, and a broken funnel may have fallen on to that boat or was falling at the same time.

Q - You did get away, at any rate?
A - No, we did not get clear; we had just got into the boat as this happened.

Q - The boat that was being lowered on the top of you was not lowered so far as to actually fall upon your boat?
A - Yes, it was the cause of our boat going down.

Q - It actually struck your boat?
A - Yes, it actually struck our boat, and turned our boat over and we went down under the water.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
It is known that it was only one torpedo. The log and testimony from the U20 Captain & crew show the same.
There are enough testimony which show what happened to the funnels. The ship itself sunk more on a low angle (even there are reports of the stern going 45° high).

Dec 23, 2017
I think it's a great project. Be extremely careful with depths and heights. Her bow probably broke as she ground into the ocean floor. Remember she sank very, very, quickly, with her bottom blown out in the forward section; estimated something like 19 minutes. The stern height seemed huge, compared to boats and victims floating alongside. Her props continued to turn for a long time, until seawater hit the boilers.
If you illustrate her bow hitting the seabed, be sure to include the lowing up on mud and silt.
Looks like a really interesting project. Don't use "My Heart Will Go On" anywhere in the piece!
I plan to be very respectable with this and want it to be as accurate as i can make it. Il admit im not the best at 3d modeling/animation but i think with the help of the community we can do something special. We have people with all sorts of talents and knowledge here and i think collectively we can do it. For those wondering how i will do it it will be very much like these.

In terms of animation it will be very much like this with animated water and sunlight ect

In terms of audio it will be very much like how i did it here with survivor accounts ect, no My Heart Will Go On or Sleeping Sun (Though i do like those songs on a side note, there i said it)

And in terms of camera shots it will be very much like the H&G videos

Any updates or trim angles im doing i will post here and key points of animation will be posted here for you guys to review and give me constructive criticism

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
In terms of audio it will be very much like how i did it here with survivor accounts ect, no My Heart Will Go On or Sleeping Sun (Though i do like those songs on a side note, there i said it)
Glad to know, also there's nothing wrong with liking it, it just overuse can drive people mad. I wonder how (and who) started that phase of using it of every ship video?

On an side note, when I was about 7-9, I was stupid enough to sing Sleeping Sun at a School Talent Show. Biggest mistake of my life!:eek:

Back to Topic!

Dec 23, 2017
I find one finds to lost all credibility when you say you enjoy my hear will go on :p

On a side note these are survivor accounts on the final moments
Seaman Morton

"The Lusitania Heeled to Starboard and lipped from view in a "Slow, almost stately dive by the head, at an angle of some forty-five or fifty degrees""

Turner

"The ship was still moving at about 4 knots by turner's estimate. But he watched, as its bow struck bottom-he was sure of it. "I noticed it because the sinking of the hull stopped for a few seconds with the stern in the air, quivering her whole 800 feet, then down she went"

I think she had to have hit bottom as with so much of the ship filled with water there would have been no reason for her to stop so suddenly

George Henderson actually animates it with his hand (He was on the irish cost and had the unusual position of not being in the chaos and had all his senses with him and not struggling for his life)
Already time stamped to the scene im referencing

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Here are some sketches from 1915

This one was drawn by 1st Class Passenger Bernard
2018-02-24 at 21-04-55.png

This one is from 1st Class Passenger Byington
Mr. A. J. Byington survivor IG.jpg

1st Class Passenger Harris(Cliff Barry posted it on FB)
Cliff Barry  1st Class Harris.jpg

And this one was done by the artist of The Sketch based on survivors description
Image111a.jpg

There is at last another one from another survivor but need to search for it.

Dec 23, 2017
did some more math calculations and compared it to the ships plans and the height of the water vs sea bed is corrected. Too shallow of a angle or to steep?
Screenshot (61).png

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 23, 2017
Sorry in advanced for the Camera work, a bug happened that every time i tried to rotate it it rotated 360. I tried to correct it but since this animation was nothing but a very rough draft i found it unnecessary. This is not in real time and only vague reference angles where used, like we know she roughly righted herself to a 5 degree port list at she went under.

Also the model is a older version which is why there are random textures missing