Dec 23, 2017
NOTICE: DEMO HAS BEEN REMOVED

Due to some exciting behind the scenes developments, the demo is no longer available. Hopefully, some better experiences will be coming down the road that everyone will enjoy.

Here is the Final Animation.

This is around 80%+ accurate, with many of the errors either known or were done intentional (check document for greater details).

This was created over the course of around 2 years and as stands, the most accurate showing of the sinking and ship.

None of this would have been possible without Martin Cahill and Lucas Gustaffson for their contributions.

The provided companion document goes over the following items.

How did the ship sink?

What caused the second explosion?

The ships Trim & Heel.

A detailed Lifeboat timeline/explanation for each boat.

The condition of the wreck.

The fracture in the hull.

While many details of the sinking remain unknown, the animation and document will show accurately the major points of the sinking as the evidence allows, and not a outdated version of her history.

Other free assets used was the Community Ocean and UI Navigation.

It should be a noted a error has been found in the animation. The chairs of the veranda cafe upon close inspection in photos contain steel rods connecting them to the deck, which allows them not to topple in rough seas. The ones shown here do not, however some photos taken later in her life show there were some chairs put that had no rods.

The following plans were created for the 93 Expedition, they were once hosted on a website that no longer exists and were found during the research of this project. """

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Nov 14, 2005
Here is the Final Animation.
This is around 80%+ accurate, with many of the errors either known or were done intentional (check document for greater details).
This was created over the course of around 2 years and as stands, the most accurate showing of the sinking and ship.

None of this would have been possible without Martin Cahill and Lucas Gustaffson for their contributions.

The provided companion document goes over the following items.

How did the ship sink?
The ships Trim & Heel.
A detailed Lifeboat timeline/explanation for each boat.
The condition of the wreck
The fracture in the hull

While many details of the sinking remain unknown, the animation and document will show accurately the major points of the sinking as the evidence allows, and not a outdated version of her history.

Playable demo of this animation will be coming soon.
I scrolled thru to look at the graphics and downloaded the file to read when I get time. Most excellent work as always.

Dec 23, 2017
I am including a a "explore" mode were i open up parts of the ship that are closed during the sinking due to the ship moving so fast and it turning it in to a glitchy mess.
The eplore mode has a day and night cycle and those screens are from them

Reactions: 1 user
Dec 23, 2017
I think the demo is done.
Here it is, i only ask people not to share it yet until i know its done.

If people can verify there are are no game breaking errors or spelling mistakes in the included text files or in screen in the demo

Final Build
Password: Pier54

Reactions: 1 users

NikkiChan92

Apr 14, 2019
Maine, USA
I think the demo is done.
Here it is, i only ask people not to share it yet until i know its done.

If people can verify there are are no game breaking errors or spelling mistakes in the included text files or in screen in the demo

Final Build
Password: Pier54
Skipping the intro cut-scene made it so the torpedo never spawned, the ship has been sailing for about 30 minutes with no impact, restarted the demo now and will see what happens when i don't skip the cut-scene.

Explorer mode seems to have some framerate issues, and the game is locked to 36fps?
Im running
i7 8750H @ 3.94GHz
Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 Vram
16GB DDR4 @2400MHz

NikkiChan92

Apr 14, 2019
Maine, USA
I let the cutscene play out then I got a black screen that didn't fade to the ship, pressed S to skip cutscene again and the same loop happen as before.

NikkiChan92

Apr 14, 2019
Maine, USA
I let the cutscene play out then I got a black screen that didn't fade to the ship, pressed S to skip cutscene again and the same loop happen as before.
Reporting back again, the third time I tried the demo it worked as it should've not sure what made it not work the first two times though. There are some bugs with walking around the ship at speed and during the sinking like slipping through walls (without touching the jump button) or getting stuck between lifeboats and stairs. I'm also curious if the demo gets updated if we can have a free moving camera mode to circle the ship with?

Dec 23, 2017
Thank your for reporting.

The flying through wall bug has already been noted in the READ ME file included.

I will check out the first cutscene never ending properly.

I am unsure about the ship never sinking. Two other people have tried it and it has worked properly. There is about a 10-15 minute window from the level starting until the ship starts to sink.
I would do one more test on waiting to see if just waiting out fixes the problem.

As for the explore mode, there are about 150 lights on the ship with all their own shadows ect, there was no way for me to script them coming on and off upon the day or night changing so i left them all the time. As such the only remedy i found would be to crank down graphic settings.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
Went through it and checked the programming and it looks fine

It might be that it takes like 30-40 seconds to load so in that time it might be looking like it fails to load and you hit the s key in that time just as its loading in

NikkiChan92

Apr 14, 2019
Maine, USA
Just played through this build and there still are some issues with it. The rig I run on for example can run T:H&G demo 3 at full settings 1080p and hold 60fps with little to no issues. Even when I turned shadows down and almost everything down to medium I still encountered dips to 20fps or lower during the night explorer and during the sinking, especially if I hop off the ship and try to get a full view of the ship, the frame-rate just drops. I am curious what graphical settings you had when you recorded the real-time documentary since it seems a lot smoother there then in play. A couple other bugs include, clipping through the bridge wing during the sinking, clipping through the aft super-structure at will the doors do not have collision there as well as the ability to re spawn on the ship after it has submerged and be able to watch her settle.

I hope I'm not coming off as overly critical I just wanna keep you updated on the things I'm noticing, you have done a incredible job with this animation/demo and me being enthusiastic about both T:H&G projects as well as this I believe it can be smoothed out even further. I wonder if you can message Kyle from T:H&G about optimizing the fps in UE4 to get a locked 30 at least as well as getting shadow and texture culling to work properly. Those are really my only real complaints in terms of personal enjoyment *and the lack of a camera/fly mode*.

Thank you again for all the hard work and effort going into this project. :)

Dec 23, 2017
Thanks for the kind words!

I pretty sure i know why the night time runs like garbage.

Its to do the way you program and cook the lights. I spent around a week working on the night time level trying to make the proper volumes and cook it so it does not eat performance. This resulted in them looking awful and am unsure on how to proceed without taking a month or so to completely re do it. I think i will just put a disclaimer for the night time level.

And as for the documentary, that was done in UE4 recorder feature. It hard sets the fps (in this case 30) regardless of the scene. This made it go about a few frames per second, meaning it was a overnight render to get the animation. As to why the performance dips compared to H&G, my guess is the fact of the level is contently "moving". See the way H&G made their demos is that they "bake" or "cook" shadows ect into the scene, as the sky, sun and ship never move relative to the player. This lets UE4 know what the shadows are all the time and save on performance on calculating it. Since in my game the ship is moving in all sorts of different ways, having 45+ unique objects also moving and having a real time lighting (that is the sun is moving in real time) it hurts the performance more.

H&G also use what is called "level streaming" in UE4, which lets you program levels to only load in areas that the player is currently, saving on performance. Since my level is dynamic, that adds a whole new level of complexity. I for months tried to figure out how to get it working, and no on on the UE4 forums knows yet as no one really has done something like this.

Anyways il look into the doors and see what i can do, thanks again and hope this explains the process a bit.

Peter Fordyce

Nov 5, 2016
I downloaded the initial version of the demo over night( I have slow internet) and I have to say even in its unrefined state( I haven't downloaded the final version yet) it's absolutely amazing. The ship and the environment look great, and I really got an impression of the terror the victims must have felt. I also think including the cut scenes at the beginning and end helps accentuate how terrible the disaster was.

Thank you for your hard work.

Reactions: 1 users
Dec 23, 2017
Thank you very much!

Always good to know that some people enjoy these, and that makes it all worthwhile.