Real-Time Lusitania Sinking

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Little off topic here but in looking for some info on the lifeboats i cam across the masterpiece.

They where so lazy they used the Titanic as reference for the sinking

View attachment 40172
Words cannot describe the rage and bemusement I feel at seeing this... :mad: :eek:

We really need to start a union or something to stop people mixing up their 4 funnel liners...

Back to Topic!

Dec 23, 2017
So just a little update

So in terms of the project the fixing of the model is going slow but good as all the shell plating and lots of the superstructure in done.

In terms of animation, iv been spending lots of time experiment with water and possible ocean spray/wake effects to use. The only snag iv hit with this is that when i animate my water/wakes to be in the 20 minute range it causes the animation program to crash. Im currently in talks with the creator of the program to see what can be fixed but its possible that these effects might not be able to be done :( i will try my bet to make sure it happens.

Im hoping by the end of the week a rough draft of a real-time animation will be done and shown here to receive input on what to improve

It will certainly make me sad if i cant have these effects in the animation as it would greatly increase the production value

Reactions: Harland Duzen

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
I think your shallower angle is very good, but consider this thought. Her bow probably skidded forward on the seafloor, causing the stern to slip under in a shallowing side-ways manner. I don't think "Lusitania's" stern rose for any reason, in any manner. The seawater probably caused immense destruction while rushing in to fill the void. There was an enormous weight of steel being drawn down and forward.
I'll be the first to point out, I wasn't there, but if one compares "Andrea Doria's" slide under, you get that effect. Similar depth, similar length. "Doria" appeared to rotate under, which we don't know for the "Lucy".

Reactions: Itsstillthinking
Dec 23, 2017
Thanks for the Tips! Criticism always welcome :D those are some good points, im currently animating another draft so il try to do that too

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
And it is meant as purely constructive criticism. I don't have the skills you wield to present this as it really might have been seen, but I want to help make it as real as can be. These machines were household names at the period, and to have all that machinery, steel, volume, and life, lost in such a manner is something that should be kept before the eye and mind.

Reactions: Itsstillthinking
Dec 23, 2017
Tried a whole bunch of things and it crashed and burned. The lighting completely failed as did animating the ship (much more than this but thought it was so bad it was worth showing) as did reflections on the water.

Dec 23, 2017
Im also have a question for everyone, if i do move over to the better animation program (or really even the one i usually use) i dont think it will be ready for the 103 anniversary. While i know something will be posted that day i.e a preview im wondering if everybody would be okay with this? I still have to finish the model and make the cliffs ect for the scene and if i move to blender relearn some of the animation tips

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
Keep at it. You've got the real idea, and merely need to figure out how to bring it forward. I think your sound effects are amazing.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Its too brief to see but the water is animated
It looks really good and more realistic in terms of lighting and colour, but the previous software is still great.

Im also have a question for everyone, if i do move over to the better animation program (or really even the one i usually use) i dont think it will be ready for the 103 anniversary. While i know something will be posted that day i.e a preview im wondering if everybody would be okay with this? I still have to finish the model and make the cliffs ect for the scene and if i move to blender relearn some of the animation tips
I don't know if your referring to the Lusitania or the Empress of Ireland but either way don't worry if you go past the date of the anniversary. So long as the product is eventually finished to the quality and accuracy you intended is what's important.

The fact your taking the time and energy to produce these at such high detail means we should't complain if it doesn't arrive the exact second we expect it to. The fact we getting at all is good enough.

The wait will be worth it*.

*I say this from experience as I'm having to wait for my favourite artist's album to come out much later than expected. :( Again, the wait will be worth it. ;)

Back To Topic!

Dec 23, 2017
Thanks! My only fear is that quality might be lost down the road so while i would love to get it out during may, i usually have a policy of if its not done its not done. Thanks for the support everyone and stay tuned for future updates!

Reactions: Harland Duzen