1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Real-Time Lusitania Sinking

Discussion in 'Final Voyage Sinking and the Wreck' started by Itsstillthinking, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Jakob Sweeney

Jakob Sweeney Member

I may end up not being that active on here cause i have school. :/
    I'm also in Australia.

2. Update on the model
    Lusitania.jpg

LukeW17, PRR5406 and Harland Duzen like this.
  3. Another little update, im going to try and not use blender as i have forgot how long it takes to render in the program. Going to look into other programs so i can make sure quality is up there

4. Jakob Sweeney

Jakob Sweeney Member

I don;t know if I will be able to do this then, I only use blender.

5. Anything in a 3ds format works

6. So was getting my master timeline in motion and i came across something interesting

So we know as a fact that the ship approached 25 degrees as the forecastle went under, so my first idea was to try Ken's angle (as seen below) however to do this shot this meant that the forward list had to have been 8 degrees, but as you can see i dont think this is possible as to how high the stern must have been.

It looks like to me then that the ship only reached a 5 degree list forward at the time of the forecastle going under, at the very least to me this is interesting

14_lusitania.JPG
    9degrees.jpg
    Screenshot (90).png
    5degrees.jpg
    Screenshot (89).png

7. Some views Turner would have had

This will be a interesting thing to animate, these first first group of lifeboats here due to human error will all crash under the bridge killing in my opinion about 100 people
    This is the view Turner saw
    turner1.jpg

Bow going under
    turner2.jpg

8. Here is a second draft of the final plunge in real-time for the last 3 minutes, its really amazing on how fast the ship sinks

This was me trying some effects with the water and also seeing how the audio would work as what sounds fine in my head might actually not work
    Realized after rendering it there is a issue of the ship staying on a pivot point almost but that will be fixed in later drafts

Harland Duzen likes this.
  9. Was also wondering if anyone knows of some decent cliff model? i want if possible to have the old head of kinsale in the background as a reference point without animated water. I dont see myself getting the free time to model a whole cliff so if anyone knows of a good place let me know!

10. Just realized i wrote port list instead of starboard for the first time stamp :D

11. Also so it seems that i can have effects in five minute intervals, so if i break the sinking into 5 minute intervals i think i can do it. Since its easy to copy property settings it should be seamless

12. So as the last update of the week here is where it stands

So the only moving waves il include are the wake behind the ship in the beginning (until the engines stop) and the final plunge as for large scenes the waves are just not living up to my standards

over the next week il focus exclusively to the model and get that thing done and out of the way and spend the rest of the month animating it and perfecting it so with the possibility of it being done for the 103 anniversary.

Il also make sure a quick sneak peak of the Empress is up for the 104 anniversary as well!

Sorry again for spamming this topic with screenshot's but some of these angles have been to exiting for me no to show :D

13. After playing with the model this is the time line of angles iv made from guessing to actual recorded angles (In my documents these are side by side

Starboard List

Forward List

2:10

2:10:7

2:10:15

2:11

2:12

2:13

2:14

2:15

2:16

2:17

2:18

2:19

2:20

2:21

2:22

2:23

2:24

2:25

2:26

2:27

2:27:30

2:28

2:29

14. After 4 more hours and a cramped hand the model is nearly done, mostly just need to finish the windows on the port side, fix the interiors and make modifications to make this a 1915 Lusitania and where good to go!
    Nearly Done.jpg

PRR5406 and Harland Duzen like this.
  15. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

Itsstillthinking likes this.
  16. PRR5406

PRR5406 Member

Lifeboat numbers are correct? Otherwise, it's a beautiful rendering.

17. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

I don't think so as the model was originally had red funnels (meaning pre-war) and she only has 16 lifeboats so the original one was based on her appearance prior April 1912. Fortunately the Lusitania was in dry dock during the Titanic's voyage.

Your still right however, it's certainly a beautiful rendering!

18. Does anyone know what direction the bow is pointing today? Im trying to chart the path the ship took as we know from testimony that "Turner Orders 35 degree towards shore, ship replies. My guess to port as she was traveling south with the shore along her port side" and
    Quatermaster Johnston "Steady's" the ship with a counter 35 degree as to orders, ship fails". Again my guess the order was turn to port. How ever the only pictures i could find dont make ant sense as we know George H saw on of the propellers turning from shore, but according to this picture she was heading directly at land which in my opinion would have been hard to see them

lusitania_map.gif