Real Time Sinking With Interiors

Kas01

May 24, 2018
So if you press "K", does your character just keel over or does he run towards the stern and threaten to jump off?

Reactions: 1 users
Dec 23, 2017
So if you press "K", does your character just keel over or does he run towards the stern and threaten to jump off?
Haha good one, what happened was i got a new water shader and in the package they have a level that has it programmed for this guy to react to water physics ect and that was already there, i cant seem to figure out how to remove it

Dec 23, 2017
Well outside of early tests in the H&G team, i think im one of the first people since 1997 to be on a fairly accurate sinking of the last 20 miniutes of the Titanic, and man does this ship take forever to sinko_O If this early test is anything, that Lusitania game might actually happen;)
Screenshot (51).png
Screenshot (52).png
Screenshot (53).png
Screenshot (54).png

Reactions: 1 user

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
As a question with everyone, would anyone be interested with trying it out if i released it?
Well outside of early tests in the H&G team, i think im one of the first people since 1997 to be on a fairly accurate sinking of the last 20 miniutes of the Titanic, and man does this ship take forever to sinko_O If this early test is anything, that Lusitania game might actually happen;)
It would be interesting if you did release a Interactive Lusitania video game as the closest anyone's got to being on her is in Virtual Sailor and in that you fly though decks and you have to modify the games / ship's file to make her sink. Although I don't know how difficult it would be to optimise it for multiple computers.

The Titanic one also looks very fun as well (meaning to run around it and the water graphics above look great), However it might be difficult to stop non-Titanic people assuming you're copying Honor and Glory and you need to make sure the interior has no major glitches as this could lead to some backlash.

I say backlash because a while back, there was a game released called "Fall of the Titanic" which allowed the player to roam around it in free roam and while it was sinking. Unfortunately it was poorly optimised and inaccurate which led to it being heavy criticised (See example below).
It's definitely an interesting idea, but given how intensive it might be to implement it (unless you just need to copy or modify your existing simulations, I not a video games expert) the decision should't be taken lightly.

Nevertheless good work!

Dec 23, 2017
It would be interesting if you did release a Interactive Lusitania video game as the closest anyone's got to being on her is in Virtual Sailor and in that you fly though decks and you have to modify the games / ship's file to make her sink. Although I don't know how difficult it would be to optimise it for multiple computers.

The Titanic one also looks very fun as well (meaning to run around it and the water graphics above look great), However it might be difficult to stop non-Titanic people assuming you're copying Honor and Glory and you need to make sure the interior has no major glitches as this could lead to some backlash.

I say backlash because a while back, there was a game released called "Fall of the Titanic" which allowed the player to roam around it in free roam and while it was sinking. Unfortunately it was poorly optimised and inaccurate which led to it being heavy criticised (See example below).
It's definitely an interesting idea, but given how intensive it might be to implement it (unless you just need to copy or modify your existing simulations, I not a video games expert) the decision should't be taken lightly.

Nevertheless good work!
That's exactly what i thought as well, I think if im to do anything it will be a very exclusive release. It would be a hidden link with a password on the zip file you have to get from me and only released on the forums, These titles would also never be optimized but judging from early tests i did on my mid range PC, i think if you have a I5 or better then no issues should be have with the Lusitania, Titanic and lights might be another story though. I would never want to hurt H&G chances as im just as passionate as them on the Titanic

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
The hidden password could work provided it didn't get passed down to those who weren't intended to get it (I remember someone got the key to Demo 3 despite T:H&G attempts to stop them :().

Maybe to improve your chances of releasing your simulations and /or gaining publicity, you could give a key or demo to Daniel Smith (AKA Spammals*, the Youtube Gamer / Titanic Historian who's actually worked with Titanic: Honor & Glory on making Southampton Docks) to review and bring to the community's attention. Someone else already did for their demo.

*If you already know about him, I stop referencing him. Sorry.

Dec 23, 2017
No problem, we all know Spammals one way or another

In my mind that would be the opposite of what i would want, 1. It would make it more known to the H&G team and could cause them to be bitter 2. Would cause more attention and more likely people would want it, i would like to keep it in this community if i can help it 3.I dont think it would be worthy of that kind of attention

Dec 23, 2017
Sp here is a update and a plan of attack
1. I will release the Render i did earlier and release it as a stand alone release, with a warning that a better one is in the works
2. Been redoing the interiors and making it look a million times better with better editing and lots of furniture everywhere
3. Re structure how i will do the next render, im going to do it like the 97 film with the main exterior model, but unlike before only have enough interiors for porthole to be filled ect. This will dramatically reduce the processing power needed and allow better flexibility flood times instead of a big model that floods where the water hits, so each deck will be its own scene and say if im showing F Deck D,C,B,A ect will not be there
Screenshot (61).png
Screenshot (62).png
Screenshot (63).png
Screenshot (64).png
Screenshot (65).png

Dec 23, 2017
Screenshot (69).png

Im also going to make a model just for the break-up where i break each deck based of Roy's diagram

Dec 23, 2017
TBH i lazily threw together the audio due to im completely redoing this due to the amount of model and historical issues/errors. I might release it to the public but not sure if its good enough

A. Gabriel

Jun 13, 2018
Philippines
I propose once more, that you ought to get in touch with the H&G dev team and bring this contribution to their table -- they would benefit from your (undoubtedly fresh) perspective on the manner in which Titanic sank.

Dec 23, 2017
I propose once more, that you ought to get in touch with the H&G dev team and bring this contribution to their table -- they would benefit from your (undoubtedly fresh) perspective on the manner in which Titanic sank.
Thanks but the H&G team have respectively said that they require no help at the moment and do not wish to take on anyone else. Not to mention my work and skills area garbage compared to their work

Mar 9, 2018
Georgia, USA
Your work isn't so bad, you're better than you think you are. I went to university for video game art & design and some of your animation skills are better than I am (and I dropped out of school almost 10yrs ago)

Dec 23, 2017
Will be super interesting to see in the coming months how much i have improved since this first use of UE4, int terms of model quality and me knowing how to program textures and lights far better. Not to mention knowing how to program other mis things to improve performance and having a far greater understanding of the sinking since then

spencerk062

Sep 27, 2017
It seems its been a while since this thread was updated. Im extremely impressed by what you have here, and I was wondering if there was any news on this being released as a hidden file. If nothing else I really think this could be an interesting way to wander the ship and gain perspective on various events, something that I have really wanted to do for a VERY long time. I have been waiting for Honor and Glory to come out since before I graduated high school, and now I'm married and living 1700 miles from where I grew up. If there is ANY chance of this being "released" I would be EXTREMELY interested in checking it out.

Dec 23, 2017
Thank you for the support, this demo/animation is at the moment, no longer being worked on. But the good news is that something better is being worked on! Keep a eye out for something by H&G coming in the near future