Real Titanic footage?

Laura Jay

Dec 3, 2012
New England, USA
British Pathe has uploaded some video that might possibly be of the Titanic in the lough in Belfast. There is some footage of Rostron as well, and of whom I believe of Lightoller and Pitman as well. I'm not linking it on here because I don't know of restrictions or anything and I want to be good!
:cool:

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Lights wears his wedding ring(wouldn't those get in the way of being a seaman? IDK), and puffing on a pipe... I think that's him and Pitman because of some pictures I've seen.

I have no idea were these two are in that footage!
If you mean the 2 at time frame 1:02, the person with the wedding ring which is smoking a cigar is a reporter who is interviewing an AB (not Pitman).

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Nice find. It never ceases to amaze me how a ship like the Titanic could have so little original footage, to the point where films and documentaries regularly have to resort to using footage of the Olympic - especially in the Edwardian era when people loved their new technologies!

Cheers,
Adam.

Laura Jay

Dec 3, 2012
New England, USA
I know, right? Under the information of one of these screengrabs of footage it says that the film reel was in a shed for a long time after the person recorded it and died.
I am convinced the chap next to Pitman is Lightoller-there's several images on Google of him and Pitman talking and that is him just before he took his greatcoat off. You can see it on his arm in the picture Kinda makes me want to leap through time!

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I am convinced the chap next to Pitman is Lightoller-there's several images on Google of him and Pitman talking and that is him just before he took his greatcoat off. You can see it on his arm in the picture Kinda makes me want to leap through time!

Can you please explain what you mean?
There is no scene of Lightoller or Pitman or both together in that film! As I already pointed out if you mean the picture which start at time frame 1minute 4 seconds, it is a reporter with a crew member.
By the way, the photo you are meaning was taken in GB. This film images were taken in New York (USA)!

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Can anyone else weigh in on this? Reporter vs Lightoller in that film reel?

Left: Pitman & Lightoller photographed on 11.May 1912 in Liverpool, UK
Right: Reporter&crew member filmed 19.April 1912 in New York, USA (According to you Pitman & Lightoller)

Reporter & crewmember.JPEG

Pitman&Lightoller Liverpool May 1912.jpg

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
The bloke on the right in the second photo looks a fair bit like Pitman, I think. Or maybe it's just the 'tache....

Cheers,
Adam.

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
Nice find. It never ceases to amaze me how a ship like the Titanic could have so little original footage, to the point where films and documentaries regularly have to resort to using footage of the Olympic - especially in the Edwardian era when people loved their new technologies!

Video and photography were essentially in their infancy back then, at least compared to us over a century later. They were certainly more of a novelty as well; not everyone had the equipment, money or time for such a hobby. You also have to remember that these people had no clue how rare photos and video would be of a ship whose service career lasted less than a week, and that Olympic was getting all the attention as lead ship of the class; had it not been for that iceberg, Titanic would have been, at best, an opulent footnote in history.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Brad:

I'd hardly say that video and photograph techhnology were in their infancy, both had been around for decades, especially photography. Yes, the equipment was still very basic and difficult but the Victorian era was the great era of progress and people were swept away with it, keen to embrace any and all advancements in technology. Look how keen the passengers were to test out the new Marconi system on the Titanic, for instance - they were snowed under with pointless messages for Cape Race.

I'm convinced that there's more private footage and photographs of the Titanic out there somewhere, it just hasn't been discovered yet.

Cheers,
Adam.

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Brad:

I'd hardly say that video and photograph techhnology were in their infancy, both had been around for decades, especially photography. Yes, the equipment was still very basic and difficult but the Victorian era was the great era of progress and people were swept away with it, keen to embrace any and all advancements in technology. Look how keen the passengers were to test out the new Marconi system on the Titanic, for instance - they were snowed under with pointless messages for Cape Race.

I'm convinced that there's more private footage and photographs of the Titanic out there somewhere, it just hasn't been discovered yet.

Cheers,
Adam.

In Beasley's book he mentions making acquaintances with an American couple, the husband being a filmmaker, during the voyage. According to Beasley the gentleman filmed (motion picture) a number of things during the voyage, including the near miss with the New York at the beginning of the voyage.

This couple was not rescued, and Beasley speculates about the fate of the film at the bottom of the Atlantic. I always fantasized about this films magical recovery and it being in pristine condition and the images on it finally revealed to the world. :D

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Scott:

Well, if the film was stored in one of those light and air proof containers..... ;-)

No doubt it's true, I fully believe there is more footage out there somewhere, just it's been lost or forgotten about in the course of the last century and the generations that it's been handed down to since.

Cheers,
Adam.