Really Tasteless Collectible

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter J Heppell

I have just had a look and come to the conclusion
WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT!!!!

WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT!!!!
Thinking of which, did anyone here ever see one of those Titanic toilet floats? Now that's Titanica that I never got the point of.

(A very dear Titanic friend who delighted in the tackiest Titanica wanted one to complete his collection. Alas, for I saw the float but once and his kitsch remained incomplete.)

Inger Sheil

I have a very good mate with a doctorate in Medieval history, who has a passion for the past that extends beyond the period of her studies and encompasses Titanic history. She has the rare combination of precise academic methodology and an appreciation of humanity - a passion for facts, and a deeply compassionate understanding of past ages.

She also has a highly developed sense of humour and/or the absurd.

This may explain her collection of odds and ends such as the Titanic piggybank, Titanic beer stein, and a box of Titanic mints. I don't know if she'd go for the toilet float, Fi, but I wouldn't be surprised. And yet you'd be hard pressed to find anyone more devoted to a complete and humane understanding of the disaster than her.

Most of my bits of tack-a-rama were gifts from well meaning friends, but I do admit to buying a Japanese Titanic hand held game at the time of the first wave of movie hype - simply because it was so awful. You dodged the ship in and out of icebergs, and when you reached a certain score the 'lovers' (read: Jack and Rose clones) danced across the top.

Whatever floats your boat indeed - to each their own.

(PS - Fi, if I ever come across Titanic toilet floats in Victoria's Basement, I'll make sure the bulletin gets to you first!).

Status
Not open for further replies.