Reassurances too far?

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
Although this post is the result of a specific comment in a well known Titanic book, I felt that the query involved is more appropriately posted here as it would then be more likely to be noticed. I hope that the Mods do not mind.

On page 158 of On A Sea Of Glass, one of my all time favourite Titanic books, there is a speculative comment that got me thinking and I want to ask what others feel and if there is any circumstantial evidence to suggest that it might actually have happened.

As we have all read in various sources, up to 30 to 40 minutes after the Titanic collided with the iceberg stewards were assuring passengers in all classes that the issue was not serious and that they should go back to bed and sleep. Many passengers took-up that advice and went back to bed but most soon realized that the ship was sinking at least in time to get to the boat deck, even if they failed to find places in lifeboats. But on that page in the book there is a speculation that some of the Third Class passengers who followed that advice and returned to their cabins in the deeper parts of the bow section might have later become trapped there due to rising water levels and were then unable to get out and to safety even if they wanted to do so.

Is there any circumstantial or actual evidence that something like that happened anywhere on the ship?