Reception Room Picture

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Dear Jared,

Yeah that photograph is in "Illustrated History" and is of the Olympic's Reception Room. That postcard is owned by George Behe who is a memeber of this board. It's a nice shot isnt it.

All the best,

Nigel

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Daniel,

I recently came across a Titanic Reception Room photo in one of my many tomes of Titanica, its grainy and only shows a bit of the Reception Room and the entry doors to the Dining Saloon , though I do not recall where I saw it.

Thanks,

Brian

J

João Ricardo Alves de Oliveira

Well Guys, I have a big question:
How will I Know if the titanic was identical the Olympic?
Perhaps we are thinking that the olympic's photos was a possible image of the titanic...But there are a lot of photos about from 1920-25 and the olympic had changes.
How will i know from what epoch those photos are?

B

Brian R Peterson

Well Joao,

There are very few known pictures of the Titanic's interiors and there are hundreds of the Olympic for starters, and most of the public rooms photographed claimed to be of Titanic's are actually from Olympic. For clarity on the Reception Room question, in the mid 1920's the Olympic's GSC was stained green, the main walls painted white and the relief in the woodwork was either applied with gold leaf or gold paint, now it is very difficult to differentiate between the painted wood and finished wood, but the gilded relief and white walls, which are easy to spot, are a hint. Other than that, earlier photos before these changes were made offer little help to distinguish the two.

Best Regards,

Brian

J

Thank you Brian for the information...As far as I Know i guess there was only a few photos from the titanic's interior that father borwn took... Are there other titanic's interior photos? I Belive there was some modifications on the titanic... you can see that the titanic AFT Staircase cherub is not like the one from the Olympic's Aft Staircase. Violet Jessop also said about some modifications in her cabin.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Mark,

My source for the Olympic's interiors is my great grandfather who was actually a passenger as a young man and recalls great detail about the ship. There is a great detail about the green staircase in the thread "Green Grand Staircase?"

Thanks

Brian

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Joao!

Aside from the Father Brown photos and some photos from the press before the ship sailed, I know of no other authenticated Titanic photos.

Best Regards,

Brian

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Brian!

Thanks for your reply. If you'd read my post carefully you would have seen I was asking specifically about the 'mid-1920s'. Yes, I've seen the other thread. You say your relative was onboard in 1933, so how could he vouch for anything in the mid-1920s?

Best regards,

Mark.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Mark!

I did miss the specific I guess, well that source is in agreement with a conversation I had with Daniel Klistorner on the subject, who is our interior expert, he agrees that the changes to the Olympic's public rooms, especially the GSC were made in the mid to late 1920's

Thanks,

Brian

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Brian!

Thanks for your reply. I am surprised that Daniel agreed that the grand staircase received its new look in the mid to late 1920s. Certainly many public room changes were made during this period, particularly in the 1928 refitting, while other decorative changes were made in 1929 and 1930. It is not something I have made a great study of, yet in my research all seems to point to 1933 with regard to the grand staircase itself.

Daniel, have you found something new?

Best regards,

Mark.

Dec 7, 2000
Brian,

You may have misunderstood me. In my e-mails I was referring to a variety of changes that occured to Olympic in 1928, but personally I have always believed that the staircase was painted green in 1933. Now apparently (according to Brian Hawley) this was incorrect. I have found very little to say exactly when it was painted green. It would have certainly happened after 1928, which points at the late 20's (if at all) rather than mid 20's.

Regards,

Daniel.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Daniel!

Thanks for your reply. I did not think that you thought the staircase had been painted prior to 1933 so was surprised when Brian P. said you had. I have always thought 1933 and that is the date that all my sources seem to agree on. What makes you believe 1928, Brian H.?

Best regards,

Mark.

Dec 7, 2000
Mark,

This is from a convo I had with Brian. He didn't specifically say 1928, but believed it was pre-1933. Apparently the woman credited to initiating painting it green was out of the company by 1933 and her husband being in jail. Other than that, I had always believed it was painted green during the 1933 refit.

Regards,

Daniel.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Daniel!

Thanks for your reply. From what you've said I am not convinced it was pre-1933. I'll wait for Brian H. to reply, but it is possible that the suggestion of painting the staircase was made in 1931 or 1932 -- but only applied in the 1932/33 refit. When I was corresponding with one man for my book, he specified the 'early 1930s' and also detailed the grand staircase handrails. His information seemed quite accurate. I've also seen an April 1933 article just after the ship's return to service which talks of the staircase being painted -- implying it had just been done. There is also another source I can think of that said the same thing.

Best regards,

Mark.

J

Hey Brian... how can I see those authentics photos?

B

Brian Hawley

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been out of town. Mark C is correct, right now the weight of evidence seems to support a 1933 change to the woodwork. My original idea regarding the green staircase was based on a passage from Capt. Parker’s Leaves from an Unwritten Log-book. He recounts a November 1928 crossing with Lord and Lady Kylsant in which Lady Kylsant made many notes for changes to Olympic during her winter 1928 refit. Since that time I have found out about a 1933 newspaper article (perhaps the same one you saw Mark) that details the new green stairs. I tried asking Frank Braynard about this issue back in 1998. He as many of you might know went onboard Olympic in 1933 or 1934. His response was "Olympic had a great staircase”￾ so a bit of a dead-end there. At any rate it seems that 1933 was the year.

Brian

J

Jared Berger

Wow, look at the conversation i started... Al i can say about Olympics GSC being green is i saw a picture of old GSC wood, and there was a slight green to it. not much help though.

-Jared