Recommendations for info, please

KayJCO

May 12, 2017
Hello, all. I've been browsing your forum, but I am not sure where to place this, so I'm putting it in the General section.

I am hoping to get recommendations for books or dvds about Titanic.

I've been interested in Titanic since I was child and learned the song, but have little actual knowledge beyond "A Night To Remember", which I thought was well done, and the Cameron movie, which I found disappointing in most aspects.

I am middle aged now and will be laid up for a while, so I'd like to read some more in-depth material. I'd love a book with actual newspaper articles from 1912, but any decent book(s), really. I've ordered "A Night To Remember" the book (I cannot figure out how to underline and my son says that "nobody does that anymore," anyway.)

There just is no aspect of this that I don't want to read more about.

I'd like to learn more about the time, what we've learned, different theories (but not too wild into conspiracy stuff), the people involved, how things worked, etc.

You all seem to know SO MUCH! There are so many different things for sale and I just don't know where to begin.

Please recommend some books or DVDs.

Thank you so much,
Kay

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
A Night to Remember is a good read, but it's rather out of date. There are better modern books.

For the story of the voyage: On A Sea of Glass. By Tad Fitch, J. Kent Layton, Bill Wormstedt, George Behe.

For the ship and its features: Titanic: The Ship Magnificent. By Bruce Beveridge and others.

For pictures of the ship and its people: Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy. By Charles Haas.

There are a few books with newspaper articles. One is The Titanic Disaster. Collected by Dave Bryceson.

For the aftermath of the disaster, I shamelessly recommend my own digital book, Titanic: Monument and Warning. Sadly, it only runs properly on old versions of Internet Explorer. You can read the text, without references, on any browser. It's the only comprehensive account of the two inquiries and the civil claims.

Reactions: 1 user

KayJCO

May 12, 2017
Thank you. I will get the books.

I despise electronic books but your shamelessly plugged one sounds like exactly the kind of thing I want to read! Decisions, decisions.

I tried googling for the info, but yikes.

Someone should start a business selling ebooks on paper.

I'm going to try to get my hands on those. And maybe books by the survivors. I don't know how much of the survivor's books are their own words and how much the publishers stuck in to sell books. I'll try one.

Thank you so much for the recommendations.

KayJCO

May 12, 2017
I cannot find your book (disc or download). Where is it sold? I've ordered the others.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
To get Titanic: Monument and Warning, go to Ordering e-book and follow the links.
As the e-book was published in 2005, it doesn't work properly on later browsers. To get the full benefit of its special features you need an old version of Internet Explorer. The text alone can be read on pretty well any browser. You are welcome to copy the whole thing to a hard drive and tweak the JavaScript if you know what you are doing. One expert made it run on Safari!

I can't say I've added much to the story of the voyage. What is special is the account of the aftermath of the disaster. You also get access to a secret page of updates and corrections.

Jun 10, 2016
Here's a fun book - a cookbook. No actual recipes were kept for meals served on the Titanic, but this book makes an attempt to recreate them. It's out of print, but your local library can track down a copy via interlibrary loan.

Last Dinner On the Titanic: Menus and Recipes from the Great Liner
Dana McCauley and Rick Archbol
Introduction by Walter Lord
ISBN-13: 978-0786863037, ISBN-10: 078686303X

Jun 10, 2016
Another out-of-print book that your library is likely to have.
Bob Ballard's book on the search for the wreckage.

Robert D. Ballard
The Discovery of the Titanic

ISBN-13: 978-0446671743, ISBN-10: 0446671746

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Actually, Amazon has a slew of Titanic books and others related to the era. In addition to above , I also recommend Last Days Of The Titanic (the collection of photos taken by Francis Browne who disembarked at Queenstown) The Titanic Disaster As Reported In The Daily Sketch, Titanic Women And Children First,(this has some very interesting bios on 1st- 3rd class passengers) and course the beautifully done Titanic An Illustrated History by Ken Marshall and Don Lynch.I have the above mentioned cookbook and have been making meals from it for 20 years which is some very good eating.This cookbook also provides an in depth background into the foodie world of Edwardian life and manners and contains some beautiful illustrations. A Night To Remember is still a recommended read.I don't care if is out of date,this is one book that should be in your library.The Night Lives On also by Walter Lord is a worthy follow up to ANTR.Of course if you can land one of those 1912 dollar books that's great too.While not accurate or rare , they're worth having for a piece of 1912 and the history and nostalgia connected with them.