Recovery of more Titanic items

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
An item like the Morse key itself would be worthy of recovery. I have a problem with doing "beneficial demo" on the wreck to recovery almost anything. There is, in my opinion, a qualified argument to recovery of said items before they are smashed or ground into the ocean floor for eternity. "Titanic" is not just another wreck from WW2, or a liner lost in transit of the Atlantic. On the world, at the time of the event, this particular ship had all the impact of the Kennedy assassination, the "Challenger", 9/11. It was not possible, nor was it even considered probable. Taking the story and circumstances of a impossibly wealthy and impossibly impoverished all loaded into one stratified boat, and the stakes go higher. The story is bigger than the ship, the ship is bigger than the time in which it sailed.
Archaeology does have techniques for respectful recovery, but at a depth of almost three miles? This is questionable. Are the Morse transmitter and keys worse destruction of the ship? Probably not. If the argument was recovery of the fixtures in a first class bedroom, removal of Captain Smith's personal belongings, I doubt the argument would pass muster.
I want to see a plan that treats the ship wreckage respectfully. I'd prefer complete recovery of the whole radio room and all the contents and walls. That's a reconstruction with which I could endorse.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
While I think Titanic, individually, is of more historical significance than any random individual shipwreck, I wouldn't demote the people who died onboard other ships.

As far as recovery goes, there are two very important considerations:
1. The wreck is collapsing, planned demolition or no. In a few decades Titanic wont be there to be explored and the tons of collapsing decks will take many of the artifacts with her.
2. Harvesting is going on, whether or not it's officially allowed. So it's more a question of whether Captain Smith's bathtub will end up in a museum, or some millionaire's penthouse bathroom.

Jaden Maxwell

May 24, 2020
They mentioned the recovery of the wireless room equipment on TV yesterday on a British talk show called 'Loose women'. Some of the panel approved it, and the rest did not. They had one host who said it was like a black box from a plane and that it should be recovered because it could help historians discover new information about what happened. This was nonesense. She compared a plane's black box with an old rusted piece of metal and told the audience (possibly convincing many) that it holds significant information inside and should be recovered. It is just another trophy that will be paraded in museums like a travelling circus display. 'Step right up and see this rusted junk. Tickets please....Tickets please.'

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
My point is, taken as a whole - I am referring to the complete contents of what was the radio shack- it is a more worthwhile recovery. It then gives voice to the wireless operator's last two hours on the greatest doomed ship of all time. No matter if the items appear rusted today, professional conservators will bring fragments back to life. The Morse keys are the really critical items in the mess, and those items alone would make the recovery of everything in that area worthwhile. Picking it apart for "goodies" makes no sense to me.

davey

May 24, 2020
Not only that, but it's also immorally wrong. RMSTI proposed this very such thing five years ago. They wanted to rip open the bow and retrieve the Rubiayat, and also to see if they could locate William Carter's Renault in the forward cargo hold.​
To say that the members on here were upset once this was known about, is an understatement.​
i think all that will be left of the renault will be rust .the brass parts maybe there

Nov 14, 2005
I was surfing news stories today and ran across this. It had to do partially with cargo hold in the stern section. I found it interesting because if I had read about the book before I don't remember it ( Omar Khayyam’s Rubaiyyat). There are various threads on this site that cover it. I'm not into poetry but from what I gathered it is a well regarded work.