Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2004
In all my years of studying the Titanic and all my knowledge, it didn't hit me until recently, a few years ago.
I always just assumed that the ship sank and that was it. Any bodies were left to the sea. Then I read more about the human side of the story, and about the gruesome task of body recovery. It just had never occured to me that there would be bodies still floating around, plainly visable to other ships passing by, family that would want those bodies returned to them. So I was intrigued by this, and I found out all I could. The part that got me the most was how do you do that? How can you make yourself do that. Those men on the Mackay Bennet, who did they prepare themselves to do something so sad and so disturbing? They must have had nerves of steel. But even then......

C

Christina Rindt

Hi Colin
I guess doctors, firemen, morticians and anyone in the 'clearing up' brigade share those sentiments exactly. There is some kind of 'divorcing' of emotions when it comes to dealing with humankind in terrible situations like disasters and war otherwise the job couldn't get done. Most people I think evolve a detached compassion. That's my belief anyway.
Christina

Status
Not open for further replies.