Reference notation in The Maiden Voyage

A

Allison Lane

I've got a question that's been bugging me, and at the risk of appearing dumb I'll ask it--in Geoffrey Marcus' The Maiden Voyage, in the References and Notes section, there are constant notations of 'Ib.'. Sometimes they have page numbers after them. But I can't figure out what 'Ib.' means! Does anyone know?

-Allison L.

Nov 12, 2000
Hi Allison,

don't feel bad about not knowing this one. it is a technical term, pretty much used only by bibliographers and librarians.

'ib' is a shorthand form of the more commonly used term 'ibid', which , as a matter of fact is short for the more technically accurate, but much less commonly used 'ibidem'.

any and all of these mean 'in the same place'. and what it means by that is 'in the same place as the previous notation'.

for example, you will see something like:

Beesley, p. 24.
ib. pp 38-40.

so the ibid is saying see pages 38-40 of the same book as the previous notation, in this case Beesley's book.

you probably now know more than you ever wanted to know about the wierd and wacky world of the bibliographer.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Wow - THANKS, Michael! Now I can stop trying to find this 'Ibid" guy!

Best regards,
Cook

Nov 12, 2000
the only other source more prolific than good ol' ibid is the irrepressible and ever popular anon. :).

best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

A

Allison Lane

Thanks, Michael--that helps a lot. Now if I see any of those abbreviations I'll finally know what it means.
happy.gif

-Allison L.