Refused boarding list

May 2, 2006
Hello everyone...I am trying to find a list of people who where refused boarding.I was told when my great grandmother was 3 she was refused boarding due to having chicken pox.Im sure there is a list of people who had tickets but wondering if there is one for those who where refused.Any help would be appreciated.Thank you

Reactions: TracyDee
Dec 6, 2000
Hello Prudence,

The only two passengers known to have been refused boarding were:
Emma Duynejouck [spelling may not be correct] and Henri van den Steen.

June Sullivan

Jan 7, 2007
Hi Prudence...I'm in the same situation as you...my grandmother & my great grand parents were also suppose to sail on Titantic. They had sailed many, many times to & from England for which we do have documentation. Due to some medical reason they were not allowed to sail on the ill-fated voyage. An irresponsible member of the family inherited the paperwork for the voyage from my great aunt who had the papers for over 70 years. This family member had moved many years after receiving the documents and, for whatever reason, she had left some things in the trunk of her vehicle including the paperwork. Her addict daughter used the car & claimed the car was stolen from her (yeah right) so the paperwork is lost. Is there any way for us to obtain a list for tickets that were issued...used or not?

Dec 6, 2000
Hello June,

I can only repeat: "The only two passengers known to have been refused boarding were: Emma Duynejouck [spelling may not be correct] and Henri van den Steen."
Their names appear on the Southampton Boarding List with a line ruled through their names with an R ... [something] written out to the side.

A full copy of the White Star Line Contract Ticket List can be obtain from the National Archives Northeast Region in New York, but [except for one person] it does not contain names or ticket numbers of any passengers who "Failed to Sail". The ticket numbers [with amounts] of Duynejouck and van den Steen [but not their names] appear as Refunds on the last page of the List of 3rd Class Continentals.

This web-site: http://belgium.rootsweb.com/migr/ships/t/ship_titanic_19120400.html. contains the information that they were "Rejected". - No reason is given but we know from the biography [on this web-site] of Leo Peter van den Steen, that Henri "appeared to suffering from trachoma."

All we can say is that your relatives never got as far as being named on the Southampton Boarding List. So when and where were they rejected?

By the way Prudence will not see your Message as if you look at her Profile by clicking onto her name is says: Last Logged In: May 3, 2006

Lester

June Sullivan

Jan 7, 2007
Henry & Lester...thank you both so much for your quick response & the information. I am new to this site and just set up my account. I think Titanic is alluring to many people for various reasons. My reason is already known. I was thrilled to find this site & the hundreds of other people that who are willing to share what they know to help others with their search for the past like you two, Henry & Lester. I'm going back home to Western New York in June and hope to find that maybe some of the other relatives made copies of the documentation. Here's hoping! Thanks again.

Dec 6, 2000
Hello June,

You are welcome. - Who please were your family? - Do they show up on the Ellis Island Records?

Lester

June Sullivan

Jan 7, 2007
Hello again Lester...My great grandfather's name was Phillip Green, wife - Emma, children - Florence & Winnifred. I have found him 3 times so far in the Ellis Island records. It's not as cut and dry as you would think in trying to find the info you need. I found the records very spread out. I found him in 1904, 1905 & 1913 so far. I'm quite sure I still have relatives in England.

Dec 6, 2000
Henry,

If you look closely at Debbie's book, they are only a very few "Refunds".
1] The Odell refund was for Odell himself. He did not sail.
2] There is a note further to the right on the CTL that Robert Daniel's fare is "to be coll by Purser".
3] William Gillespie. - Debbie believes he did not sail. - His mother received a payment from the Relief Fund.
4] It is agree by all researches that Frederick Miles did not sail. Unlike Gillespie and Petersen his name is not on the C&D or other Lists of deceased passengers.
5] Marius Peterson. - Debbie believes he did not sail.
6] Rood and Madame Aubert [and her maid] - Restaurant rebates.
7] Sage family. - Probably an overcharge for a child being charged as an adult.
8] The unnamed entries. - Ticket No 242154 is a mystery. - It is on the Cross Channel page of 2nd Class passengers. - Most of the amounts are wrong and the columns are mis-aligned.
9] The Chionapoulous, Larkis and Leo Zumcreman entries are simply mis-aligned columns: 14.9.1, 7.4.7 and 7.17.6. - There were no refunds.

I hope that helps,
Lester

Dec 6, 2000
Hello June,

Good to hear that you know about the Ellis Island Records. - They can be very helpful. Mis-spelt names can cause problems.

I hope that some of the other relatives will have made copies of the documentation.

With my best wishes,
Lester

Donald Wilson

Jan 30, 2007
Hi all,

I'm trying to find out if a couple called Mr&Mrs Neville and a person called Major Rogers were on board the Titanic......any ideas.....I've already checked the passenger and crew lists...but then again my eyes might have missed something...