Related threads/posts

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

Did the right hand column showing related threads go away or is it just my machine? I played around using preferences but couldn't get it. Using Firefox on this machine. Thanks.

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

If you mean the 'Latest Threads' column, it is still there on my PC.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Did the right hand column showing related threads go away or is it just my machine?
The sidebar is still there, Steven. If the three dots show up, just click on them and it should appear.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

If you mean the 'Latest Threads' column, it is still there on my PC.
I have the latest threads sidebar. The one I'm talking about is when you open a thread there was a sidebare that showed related or similar threads. It was very useful as it helped you search other threads on the topic. But it was also useful because you could see something had already been answered and you weren't just repeating something that had had been covered. Plus the answers were often better than what I could provide if somebody asked about something. My main machine and laptop don't show it anymore. I will check my shop computer as I haven't fired that one up in awhile. Cheers.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

The sidebar is still there, Steven. If the three dots show up, just click on them and it should appear.
I have the 3 dots. But it dosen't work for related/similar threads sidebar. Just toggles "latest threads" sidebar. But if it works for you then it must be my machines. I will poke around and see whats up. Thanks. Cheers.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
I have the 3 dots. But it dosen't work for related/similar threads sidebar. Just toggles "latest threads" sidebar. But if it works for you then it must be my machines. I will poke around and see whats up. Thanks. Cheers.
The sidebar will only display the latest threads.

Unless I'm missing something, the related threads or 'is this being discussed?' feature only shows up when one is creating a new post and there is nothing under "Settings". Although it is not a sidebar, it is below the post window.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

It used to be there. When you open a thread or the right hand side there was a column that show threads with simular content. I guess it's gone now as it doesn't show up on any of my machines. I'm sure someone must remember it. Let me go look as this was discussed in the past. Cheers.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

See posts 2,3 and 4.
P.S...if it is gone thats too bad as it was a really useful function. Cheers.

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

The sidebar will only display the latest threads.

Unless I'm missing something, the related threads or 'is this being discussed?' feature only shows up when one is creating a new post and there is nothing under "Settings". Although it is not a sidebar, it is below the post window.
Same here on both counts. In all these years that I have been an ET member, I don't recall ever seeing any sidebar other than the 'Latest Threads' in the forum main page. Als I know what you mean by those 'underbars' when creating a new post; they've always been there.

It used to be there. When you open a thread or the right hand side there was a column that show threads with simular content. I guess it's gone now as it doesn't show up on any of my machines. I'm sure someone must remember it. Let me go look as this was discussed in the past.
As I said, I don't recall any such thing being there but at almost 67 my memory is not what it used to be.

Posts #2,#3 and #4 looked no different to any others in tht Lightoller thread link.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

Same here on both counts. In all these years that I have been an ET member, I don't recall ever seeing any sidebar other than the 'Latest Threads' in the forum main page. Als I know what you mean by those 'underbars' when creating a new post; they've always been there.

As I said, I don't recall any such thing being there but at almost 67 my memory is not what it used to be.

Posts #2,#3 and #4 looked no different to any others in tht Lightoller thread link.
They don't look different. I posted that because it was discussed with Mark B. before. I think he knew what I meant. Cheers.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

Heres a screenshot. Right hand column shows similar threads. It was very handy. I used it all the time. Don't know when it went away as I just noticed it gone the other day. Cheers
Screenshot 2022 09 18 at 18 18 02 Baxter Family Question
RL unfurl="true"]Baxter Family Question[/URL]

Last edited:
Steven Christian

Steven Christian

Another capture that shows what I mean. See right hand column. Cheers.
Screenshot 2022 09 18 at 22 18 44 John George Johnson

Last edited:
Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

I see what you mean now, Steven. But as far as I can recall, that sort of setting never appeared on my PC or laptop in all these years. It was perhaps a facility that you set accidentally but now not available anymore? It is not much different or any more informative that the list of 'related' topics that now appears under the title when one starts a new thread and so perhaps that's the change.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

I see what you mean now, Steven. But as far as I can recall, that sort of setting never appeared on my PC or laptop in all these years. It was perhaps a facility that you set accidentally but now not available anymore? It is not much different or any more informative that the list of 'related' topics that now appears under the title when one starts a new thread and so perhaps that's the change.
Yes. When I discussed it before I was told that it wasn't available on all platforms. Especially smartphones. I just got used to it as it was so handy. And in some ways it was even better than the search function...IMO of course. Cheers.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Interesting, as I have never once seen that setting on my PC or laptop. Perhaps Phil Hind can shed more light on it and if in fact, it is gone? But as Arun said, it is no more useful than the list of 'related topics'. Have you been using Firefox the entire time, Steven?