Related threads/posts

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

Pretty much yes. Mostly Firefox. I found the script that was embedded in the older pages that allowed to use that function but its gone now. I'll post it later when I get on my desktop for your tech guys. Element inspector doesn't work too good on this laptop. Looks like a javascript function. Cheers.
P.S...I have been using that function for at least 10 years or so...maybe longer.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

Well I said I would post what I found but not too sure it will help that much. I'm starting to think the problem is on my end. Because now I have even less tabs to toggle. Anyway this element was embedded in the old pages but nowhere to be found on the new ones. This from what I can tell was for the toggle function. What it triggered to bring up similar threads I don't know as I didn't go that deep. I wouldn't go to too much trouble as the board works fine. Just in a different way for me. Cheers.

<a aria-label="Toggle sidebar" href="javascript:;" class="uix_sidebarTrigger__component uix_sidebarTrigger button rippleButton" data-xf-init="tooltip" rel="nofollow" data-original-title="Sidebar" id="js-XFUniqueId8">
<i class="fa--xf far fa-ellipsis-v mdi mdi-dots-vertical" aria-hidden="true"></i>
<div class="ripple-container"></div><span class="uix_sidebarTrigger--phrase">Toggle sidebar</span>
</a>

<i class="fa--xf far fa-ellipsis-v mdi mdi-dots-vertical" aria-hidden="true"></i>

<a aria-label="Toggle sidebar" href="javascript:;" class="uix_sidebarCanvasTrigger uix_sidebarTrigger__component p-navgroup-link" data-xf-init="tooltip" data-original-title="Sidebar" id="js-XFUniqueId9">
<span class="uix_sidebarTrigger--phrase">Toggle sidebar</span>
</a>

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

I'm not that tech savvy to understand what the JavaScript says.

I think you're probably correct. Try clearing your cache, browsing history and cookies - sometimes that fixes the issue.
My browsers do that automatically when ever I close them. I'm a computer tweeker. Sometimes I get things so screwed up the best option is to wipe the hard drive and reload everthing. It's no big deal for me because my computers are pretty spartan. Some issues now are because I refuse to go to WIN10. I run WIN7 because it's one of the few good systems microsludge put out. But they don't support it anymore. If I figure out a fix I'll be sure to pass it along. Cheers

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

Well then, the only other suggestion I can give you is to uninstall and reinstall Firefox. Just make sure you have everything backed up first.
You must remember the old days too. When the mantra was "save early and save often". You don't hear that much anymore. Yes everything I need to save is backed up on jump drives and CD's. Cheers.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
You must remember the old days too. When the mantra was "save early and save often"
Yes I do and I remember hearing that quite often, in my travels starting in high school. Not so much anymore as you say but it still applies today, even more so actually with the various devices one has (in my case desktop PC, laptop, mobile phone, and a tablet) and the fact that most of us, (myself included) now have our lives on our mobiles. So, backups are still very relevant.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Another thing I thought of that you could try, is to reset your settings to their default values.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

Another thing I thought of that you could try, is to reset your settings to their default values.
Ues thats a good tip. Often fixes a lot of problems. Another thing I tell people to do is to download CCleaner and run that. The free version works fine. The best part of it is the registry cleaner function. I've probably fixed a hundread computers just using that. Even if the computer isn't broken running CCleaner will often make your computer run much faster. Cheers.

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

I tell people to do is to download CCleaner and run that
What exactly does it do? I am not very IT savvy and am scared to try something new in case it crashes or something. I use AVG Internet Security which warns me against some downloads and so I am never sure what is OK. But I have not activated the Firewall because doing so seems to block even 'friendly' pop-ups and is a problem with on-line bookings etc.

Fortunately, I no longer get the spam mail that I used to in the past.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

What exactly does it do? I am not very IT savvy and am scared to try something new in case it crashes or something. I use AVG Internet Security which warns me against some downloads and so I am never sure what is OK. But I have not activated the Firewall because doing so seems to block even 'friendly' pop-ups and is a problem with on-line bookings etc.

Fortunately, I no longer get the spam mail that I used to in the past.
Well if your system is working ok to where your happy with it then no need to mess with it. I'm a firm believer in if ain't broke don't fix it. CCleaner is just a cleaner program. It cleans (deletes) the browsers of files and cookies and history and such that often gums up the system and causes it to run slow. You can customize how it runs. Like not to delete cookies or saved passwords and such. The registry cleaner removes unneeded items that are often left over when you delete or changes files. They can affect the performance of your computer. It helps to restore a computer to like it was when you first got it. New computers as I'm sure you noticed run really good and fast. Then they get all gummed up with unneeded data/programs/scripts and start running slower and slower. But if your not comfortable messing with it have one of your geek friends look it over. It's easy to mess things up. I know. I've fried many computers playing around. But it doesn't bother me as that's how I learned. It kind of goes along with what I always tell people about electrical problems which is way more serious. If your not sure don't mess with it. Call me or somebody qualified. It's no fun doing the 60 cycle dance. Cheers.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Another thing I tell people to do is to download CCleaner and run that. The free version works fine. The best part of it is the registry cleaner function.
Yes I've used it in the past and it did wonders for my laptop, at the time.

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

Like not to delete cookies or saved passwords and such.
Thanks. Regarding cookies, I hope I am doing the right thing. If I use certain links that I find while researching using Google Search, it asks me if I accept their cookies. If I am interested in that subject and need to use the page again, I click 'Yes' unless the site is labeled as "Not secure". I hope that I am doing the right thing.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

Thanks. Regarding cookies, I hope I am doing the right thing. If I use certain links that I find while researching using Google Search, it asks me if I accept their cookies. If I am interested in that subject and need to use the page again, I click 'Yes' unless the site is labeled as "Not secure". I hope that I am doing the right thing.
Yes thats a good practice. Most cookies aren't a bad thing. They often help pages load faster that are saved in your history and such. They'll store info for a site that will make them easier to use or take you to where you left off. But sometimes they suck and do things that are the opposite. Like trackers and such. Redirect you to pages you don't want or manipulate your search results. My browsers are set up when I close them they clear all cookies, temp internet files, history ect. It just makes them run better because after awhile you'll have so many cookies and temp files running it will bog down your machine. I let them load for the session because some sites won't let you in if you don't accept cookies. Cheers