Relative of Alma Palsson

Jun 10, 1999
Just the other day I encountered my neighbor, Ted Paulsson, in the lobby of our public library. I informed him of my forthcoming (May '10) Titanic exhibit in the libraries showcases. He said "Oh there is a Paulsson buried in Halifax" I replied I am aware of such. So, my curiosity got to me, and I want to learn if perhaps Ted is a relative? Knowing that Alma perished with her four siblings, perhaps Ted is related to a seperate family member. Ted is 80 yrs. old and was born in Chicago. Nils Palsson migrated to Chicago on 10 June 1910 and changed his name to Nels Paulsson.
Some names my neighbor Ted gave me to work with are: Eunice Abbot, Carl Herman and Lymann Abbot.

Any and all help will be apprciated.

Mchael Cundiff
NV, USA

Nov 11, 2005
Alma Cornelia Berglund Pålsson, aged 29, perished NOT with her four siblings, but with her four CHILDREN: Torborg Danira, aged 8,
Paul Folke, aged 6
Stina Viola, aged 3
Gösta Leonard, aged 2.

Her husband Nils was waiting in America for the family. I have heard he later remarried and had additional children.

Alma had several surviving siblings, Axel Valdemar and Gustav Gabriel and several others.
I can get you more information for tomorrow, when i review my papers.

Best regards,
Hildur Panula-Heinonen

Nov 11, 2005
Alright, i will post some information on Monday, but here is a rare photo of Torborg and Paul Palsson. For a photo of Stina and Gosta, look on their biographies. Also it includes a younger Gosta and Alma.

205655.jpg

Nov 11, 2005
Alright, now to give you some information.

Nils Palsson (Neils Paulsson), later remarried, but the marriage produced no children, which means he, personally, did not leave any future generations.
Now, not much is known about is siblings, but we do know of two sisters who were living in Louisiana, where Nils and his wife passed away and are buried.

As for Alma:

Her parents were Anders Berglund and Maria Nilsson. Alma had four brothers (no sisters):

Oskar (Olof?) Albert born 18 jan 1881, in Velinge, Sweden, died in America.

Hilding Waldemar born 2 mar 1884, in Velinge, Sweden.

Axel Ferdinand born 15 mar 1886 in Velinge, Sweden and died in America.

Gustav Gabriel born 8 feb 1898 in Bjuv, Sweden.

on 10 June 1910, Nils immigrated to Chicago to where Axel and Oskar were living. Axel lived at 1725 Kimball Avenue and Oskar at 2304 North Spring Street. Nils lived at 938 Townsend St, Chicago and worked as a tram conducter.
In March 1912, Nils sent money back to his wife and four young children to come to America with. They travelled on Titanic as 3rd class passengers and recorded their destination as 94 Tonsend Street, Chicago. By now, Nils had left the one room flat he had been renting and moved in to a family home.
The family perished in the disaster and only Alma's body was recovered. It was long speculated that Alma's youngest child Gösta Leonard had been recovered as well and for many years the "Unknown Child" (body #4, a flaxen haired two year old boy) was believed to be him. It was later proven to not be him and he rests with his siblings in the sea.

August Wennerström had met Alma on the Titanic and on the night of the 14th, had met Alma and her four children on deck. Alma gave Gösta Leonard to August, so she could deal with her other threes children. August was washed off deck with the boy in his arms, and Gösta Leonard was washed out of his arms. August survived the disaster, but had nightmares about hearing the boy's screams and the feeling of having him torn from him.

Nils was not informed of his wife's recovered body due to him discovering his family had been lost on the 21st april, and his wife's body not recovered until some time later. Alma is buried in Fairview Cemetery, Halifax, Nova Scotia as body #206.

Two small boys, aged around 2 and 4 were saved without any adult company. They were dubbed the Titanic Orpans and Nils along with Juha Panula, both spent much money and time devoted to finding anything on these two boys in hopes that one or both boys could have been theirs. They were neither Nils nor Juha. The two boys were Michel and Marcel Navratil, who's father had kidnapped them under false names and had died in the sinking. Their mother collected them a week later and brought them back to France.

Nils died in 1962 and is buried with his wife in West Monroe, Louisiana, America.

Hope this helps some,
Hildur Panula-Heinonen

Ola Linfeldt

Sep 6, 1998
Alright, now to give you some information.

Nils Palsson (Neils Paulsson), later remarried, but the marriage produced no children, which means he, personally, did not leave any future generations.
Now, not much is known about is siblings, but we do know of two sisters who were living in Louisiana, where Nils and his wife passed away and are buried.

As for Alma:

Her parents were Anders Berglund and Maria Nilsson. Alma had four brothers (no sisters):

Oskar (Olof?) Albert born 18 jan 1881, in Velinge, Sweden, died in America.

Hilding Waldemar born 2 mar 1884, in Velinge, Sweden.

Axel Ferdinand born 15 mar 1886 in Velinge, Sweden and died in America.

Gustav Gabriel born 8 feb 1898 in Bjuv, Sweden.

on 10 June 1910, Nils immigrated to Chicago to where Axel and Oskar were living. Axel lived at 1725 Kimball Avenue and Oskar at 2304 North Spring Street. Nils lived at 938 Townsend St, Chicago and worked as a tram conducter.
In March 1912, Nils sent money back to his wife and four young children to come to America with. They travelled on Titanic as 3rd class passengers and recorded their destination as 94 Tonsend Street, Chicago. By now, Nils had left the one room flat he had been renting and moved in to a family home.
The family perished in the disaster and only Alma's body was recovered. It was long speculated that Alma's youngest child Gösta Leonard had been recovered as well and for many years the "Unknown Child" (body #4, a flaxen haired two year old boy) was believed to be him. It was later proven to not be him and he rests with his siblings in the sea.

August Wennerström had met Alma on the Titanic and on the night of the 14th, had met Alma and her four children on deck. Alma gave Gösta Leonard to August, so she could deal with her other threes children. August was washed off deck with the boy in his arms, and Gösta Leonard was washed out of his arms. August survived the disaster, but had nightmares about hearing the boy's screams and the feeling of having him torn from him.

Nils was not informed of his wife's recovered body due to him discovering his family had been lost on the 21st april, and his wife's body not recovered until some time later. Alma is buried in Fairview Cemetery, Halifax, Nova Scotia as body #206.

Two small boys, aged around 2 and 4 were saved without any adult company. They were dubbed the Titanic Orpans and Nils along with Juha Panula, both spent much money and time devoted to finding anything on these two boys in hopes that one or both boys could have been theirs. They were neither Nils nor Juha. The two boys were Michel and Marcel Navratil, who's father had kidnapped them under false names and had died in the sinking. Their mother collected them a week later and brought them back to France.

Nils died in 1962 and is buried with his wife in West Monroe, Louisiana, America.

Hope this helps some,
Hildur Panula-Heinonen