Relatives Katherine and Ann McGowan

M

Margaret Hansen

I had two relatives who were on the Titanic. Katherine McGowan who was my great aunt and Ann McGowan (Katherine's niece) and I think my second or third cousin. I have some information on them but would appreciate more. I have both their photographs. Has anyone info?

Mar 10, 1998
Margaret,
There is a good chapter on these ladies in Senan Molony's book "The Irish Aboard Titanic." I'm not sure if any of the books are still available but one of the online booksellers may yet have copies to offer.

Ann McGowan married and settled in Chicago and had several children. One of her daughters now lives in Wisconsin and there are numerous grandchildren. She lived until January 30, 1990 and there is some dispute about her age. She may have been as old as 94 or as young as 91 at the time of her death. She claimed to have been born in Scranton, Pennsylvania but there is also some dispute about that birthplace. Her husband, Raymond Straube, died on July 4, 1965. Both are buried in Des Plaines, Illinois. There are photos of both women in Senan Molony's book. I've seen only one of Katherine but have quite a few of Ann Straube (pronounced STRAW-bee).

Hope some of this is new to you.

Regards,
Phil

M

Margaret Hansen

Phil

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will check on that book. I knew Ann and Ray Strawbe very well as my mother was her cousin and they lived walking distance from us in Chicago. She had two daughters, Jackie and Franny and me and my brother would play together as we were close to the same age. I completely lost track of them and would surely like to be able to contact them. It was strange that I never knew that Ann was on the Titanic as it was never talked about as far as I remembered and now no one is around to ask. Katherine sister Margaret McDermott was my grandmother and she lived til she was 98 and all those years of contact with her, I never remember her mentioning it and I was in my 30's when she died. It is a stange story but I hope to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks and regards
Margaret (Peggy)

M

Margaret Hansen

Phil

I just thought of something else that you or someone could help me with. I found an article about Katherine McGowan referring to her as "a pied piper" as she came back with 14 others. But I don't know where I found that.

Also some additional info. I went to see the musical Titanic and imagine my surprise when Kate McGowan was in the cast and as explained on the internet it was one and the same as my Great Aunt Katherine McGowan.

Mar 10, 1998
Hi Margaret--
Contact me privately and I'll put you in contact with Jackie--she is a very nice lady.

Ann never talked much about Titanic but did agree to give a full length interview with her granddaughter who was a newspaper reporter back about 1984. A transcription of that interview is in "The Irish Aboard Titanic." This was prior to the discovery of the wreck in 1985 and Ann was another passenger that corroborated the "breaking in two" scenario.

My e-mail address is: [email protected]

My best,
Phil

Oct 21, 2005
Dear Margaret,

I have the book "Irish Aboard Titanic". It is very scarce so I got it directly from Senan Molony. I offer you to contact him to get his book.
I would like to get the photo of Catherine McGowan if it is possible. Please, send me their photos. I would be glad.

My email address is: [email protected]
Thank you.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Hello, Annamaria---

Do not be surprised if you don't get a response from Ms. Hansen. The message you are replying to is more than five years old and Ms. Hansen is no longer a registered member of the message board.