Relatives on board

S

Sarah Ibbotson

Hi, I'm quite sure I remember a relative mentioning another relative sailing on titanic, Ive checked it out and have done things like type my surname and titanic into google, but it hasnt come up with much.
I was wondering if anybody here has heard of a passenger or crew member or just plain anybody to do with tianic by the surname of Ibbotson.
Any help appreiciated.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Are you sure the relative has the same surname as you? Maybe a distant relative has a different surname from yours.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Sarah, I did a check using ET's search function on the index page and came up with nothing. That same index page has links to the most accurate and thoroughly researched listings of passengers and crew you're going to find anywhere short of a professional researcher's notebook. If the name does not appear, then that person either wasn't there or was traveling under an alias and nobody caught it.

E

emma chatonnet-newton

Can you help

One of my relatives was killed when the Titanic sunk and I would like to know how to go about finding who she was. I'm also trying to put together the family tree to identify her. Has anybody got an idea how to go about this ?
She came from my great grandmother's side of the family (pratt - deighton - hawkins) and my great uncle seems to think her name was nelly ?and that she was travelling to America to become a governess ?. I've been through the ET's search function which came up with a passenger called ellen nellie hocking . unfortunately (for me) this lady can't have been my relative because she survived. Any help would be fantastic

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Emma, I'm sorry to be a wet blanket, but if the person is not listed on this site, she wasn't there. We receive frequent inquiries based on family traditions and a great percentage of them turn out to be untrue. There's something about Titanic that does that. There's a section on this site devoted to fictitious passengers and crew.

If you still want to investigate, work backwards from yourself and trace your ancestors. There's plenty available on the public record, depending a bit on where you live. If you can find the person's real name, you will have something to go on.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I'll second everything that Dave has said, especially the need to work backwards from known family history. If you do want to pursue this, bear in mind than 'Nellie' was nearly always a familiar form of the name Ellen.