Remains of decking in 1985

Sep 22, 2008
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum!

I've noticed some photos of the wreck taken soon after the discovery in which some sort of plank-like sediment appears to exist on the forecastle.

look at image 6 on this slideshow:

http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=7539&tid=201&cid=951&ct=362#

Also the footage in this video between 1:23 and 1:42:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioGWleMdITw

I have also found this picture, but I don't know which site it belongs on..

[Moderator's Note: Edited post to remove image, due to copyright issues. JDT]

if this isn't the remains of, or sediment left by the decaying of the deck planking, then what else could it be?

Apr 3, 2005
My understanding was that what looked like planking was actually the remains of the caulking that was between them. Not sure if i've ever seen any actual remains of the decking itself, but wouldn't mind seeing it if it was there.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
As far as I know, none of the wooden decking survived to 1985. As Richard pointed out, what looked like decking was actually the caulking and the sediment which had fallen in between it. The only wood I know of which has survived is deep inside the wreck.

Shel Cooper

Nov 8, 2013
AZ/LA
Copyrighted Images? Really? Who cares? No one is going to care if you're not selling it. People repost my stuff on hundreds of forums and I really don't have time or care unless it ended up on a billboard somewhere. Many of you are in this community together. Are you going to sue each other too? This kind of thing is the biggest barrier to information growth there is, and it's pointless.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Copyrighted Images? Really? Who cares?
We do. Even if you think it's "pointless," we're very careful about not allowing copyrighted material to appear here without the copyright owner's approval. It avoids any potential problem.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Who cares?
I care. And yes, I would sue, if the person refused to remove the information on request. People have a moral right to control their own work.

People can bring us images of the Titanic, because they can pass the costs of renting ships, submarines, and deep sea probes on to the people who benefit from those images. Just because you can copy and paste it for free does not make it free.