Remembering Marshall Drew on the 15th Year Anniversary

Dec 12, 1999
Shell,

A fine tribute indeed to a very special man. Has it really been 15 years? Thanks to you, I first met Marshall when I was 15 back in 1984. We visited his tiny cottage on Old Post Road, and then zipped off to your house for the Titanic dinner recreation - along with the local TV station. The reporters frustrated him to the point of annoyance and he was so disgusted that we all had to pose and pose for the dinner footage. When Charlie made the toast, Marshall raised his champagne glass and called out, "Hurray!" After the event, he wrote and said that if the local TV station called again next year, he would tell him "to go to hell!"

Marshall was truly a treasure, and he never hesitated to answer a question, sign an autograph or pose for a photograph from even a total stranger. I remember him visiting us at Friendly's Restaurant on a few occasions, but the best of all were the evenings in your living room with Marshall recalling events of his life. He had such a sense of humor. I still have those audio tapes of those evening chats and the time when Marshall saw Aunt Lu's claim for the first time. He poured down that list hoping to recall one of his lost belongings but nothing registered.

Sadly, the last I saw of him was when we visited him in the Westerly Hospital following the 74th anniversary meeting we held in the Westerly Library. He looked well and seemed to be eager to leave the facility. Of course, when he left Westerly in May of 1986 for his routine visit to Greenport, Long Island, who would have ever imagined it was to be his last trip home? You have very special memories of being with him during those last days and I still have your letters detailing the events of what Marshall showed you.

Hard to believe - 15 years. As I look at the calendar I am reminded tomorrow is the 9th anniversary of Marjorie's passing, 9 also for Lou Pope this summer, and next month will be 10 years for Frank Aks. What truly special people...still remembered.....

Thanks for sharing that beautiful tribute....

Mike

Aug 29, 2000
Hi Mike- I was hoping you might be able to help with a page for Marjorie- I have one for her which I would like to expand. I will post tomorrow- hardly seems like 9 years could have gone by so fast. I have the photo from the last time we saw her in the nursing home, Adams House on Highland Avenue in Fall River- she was 102 then-will post that tomorrow. Yes- Marshall had a funny little cottage- grey with yellow trim and bright orange railing.Am trying to scan some of his origami critters. He was a man of many talents. Marshall had a Titanic hat ribbon Uncle Jim bought in the barber shop- hope it is in safekeeping with his grandson. You should transcribe some of those tapes we made so long ago- especially of the one made at Marjorie's house in the snowstorm-she recalled a lot of detail on that tape. I have some more photos of Louise to work on in time for her anniversary this summer- and also Frank. I hope geocities will give me MORE room! If you have some more photos from our adventures- I can make more pages-have finally gotten the hang of it! Those were the days my friend-who thought they'd ever end!

Dec 31, 2000
That is truely incredible Shells, thank you for sharing with us.
I wish that I could have known him like you did, but my heart is thankful for what I know of him through you.

Beverly

Diane Ostrow

May 19, 2001
Shelly~
Being new I haven't had the honor of meeting any survivors, but your beautiful tribute has enabled me to see this special man through your eyes! Many thanks!
Ahoy,
Diane

Aug 29, 2000
Have been finding photos lately and now with his new photoposting thingie for the posting impaired (thanks Phil!) I can DO it! This is 1984, Marshall is reading the claim Aunt Lulu Drew put in to White Star for losses.
10127.jpg

Aug 29, 2000
You know Michael- it was back in 1985 and I shall have to look up Aunt Lu's claim again. In the meantime- the Capt. and I have been cleaning the 23 years worth of clutter out of the basement and I found this one of Marshall at the Westerly Yacht Club from about 1983. I figure, by looking back over the schedule for that year- we visited about 2300 people in various civic organizations ,schools, Yacht Clubs and Power Squadrons. Marshall loved it- especially the schools. Here he is in front of my display table- Those were good times....
10306.jpg