Renault Love Scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew Neel

I was going to say this is a terrible part of the movie and I was wondering if anything like this really happened on the Titanic.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
People making "whoopee" in a car? No way. Not unless some randy couple figured out a way to pry open the wooden crate that the thing was being shipped in. I suspect anyone who tried it would be too exhausted for anything else by the time they got done doing just that. Also, I would think that people poking around the cargo holds would draw the attention of a crewman who would run them out in short order.

Since some children were known to have been conceived on board, it's obvious that the passengers were hardly celibate, but they found much more comfortable places to get it on.

Jun 8, 2003
lol i think in the film its just meant to represnt teenage love by using a stereotype that u can relate to - still personally i wouldn't mind getting in the back of a renault with Leo...

Jun 12, 2004
Michael, I presume that the car was shipped in a crate as opposed to either being tied to a plank of wood or just being left "open" and tied to the deck? Interesting. Since Marschall and Lynch were providing technical advice, I don't know how they could overlook this. Where did you see/read this? Can you please provide a link for me?

As for whether or not it could have happen, doubtful. Presumably, Cameron wanted to show the rebelliousness of youth who get away with anything they want. The thing about Cameron's Titanic is that he was trying to appeal to the youth, as they comprised a good portion of his target audience. That's why you have a 1st-class passenger and a 3rd-class passenger romantically involved and "outsmarting" the older wealthy (unlikely), not to mention the "young snot" beating the crap out of the "old fart" (also unlikely, considering Lovejoy was professionally trained and had a gun). This can be seen in a few other observations, too: Jack wandering around the first-class area in his suspenders and worn out slacks as if he had total reign of the ship (although he was eventually tossed out), and Jack's "taking control" attitude while the ship was sinking. ("we have to stay on this ship as long as possible," which is foolishly wrong. In ANTR, Andrews tells the young couple to get off as soon as possible, as the suction that existed was most intense at the end. Even so, how would a young snot have the best, or wisest, advice regarding how to survive a sinking liner? It isn't likely). It's amusing, but not surprising, that in a struggle between the youth and the older, the youth would win, especially during this era and on this ship. Remember what Cal said to Jack: "I always win, Jack--one way or another." And, of course, the "young snot" wins (although Jack died, he ultimately gets the last word by taking the girl away from Cal. The youthful Rose gets the last word, too, by breaking free and even taking the diamond, leaving Cal with nothing).

The young people in the real world of today hold onto the ridiculously idealistic notion that "love conquers all--even class restrictions." The typical youthful attitude is one in which one knows best, has ultimate control over everything, and is smarter than his/her elders (the "know-it-all" attitude). Any movie that promotes these kinds of ideas, as unrealistic as they are (in history and in life in general), is bound to draw in and gain support from the younger crowd.

No doubt I will get lambasted by a slew of younger members here, but as someone who's been around (I'm 39), I know better. I have no disrespect for the youth, as they have a lot to offer and have significant things to say. Nor am I second-rating the youth because of their lack of experience in the real world, but I speak my mind and set things straight in accordance to reality: none of this would have, or did, happen on the real Titanic, and that includes Carter's Renault.

Cheers!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Interesting. Since Marschall and Lynch were providing technical advice, I don't know how they could overlook this<<

I don't think they overlooked it. It was simply ignored as dramatic license called for Jack and Rose to "Do the Deed" in a car. This wasn't the first or the last time that such concerns were overlooked or ignored, and shouldn't be surprising as this is a movie we're talking about here, not a documentary. If Ken Marschall or Parks Stephenson take a peek in here, you can ask them about this yourself.

As to my sources, it's been discussed a number of times here on this forum and mentioned in a number of books, and IIRC, it was also stated as a fact in Ghosts of the Abyss (Which was produced as a documentary.) The ROV photos taken in the hold where the car was located tend IMO, to support that as there is a lot of debris there, including what looks like badly decomposed wood. Since I don't have a list handy, I can't offer anything more specific then that.

As to the rest, well revrn'd, yousa preachin' to the choir.

Jun 12, 2004
Sorry, Michael. I was in a bit of an ornery mood earlier, so I may have come off a bit...aggressive. Did my words actually scratch that sharply?

I wasn't disagreeing with you. It was interesting and I was curious, as I never heard that before. I missed GOTA, although I really wanted to see it. Did they find the remains of the Renault? I heard that all that's left is a heap of twisted metal. Anyway, I was just wondering, so I thought I'd ask.

Take care

--Mark

Jun 12, 2004
By the way, I figured that it was a matter of dramatic license. That's why I wondered about Marschall and Lynch. He he, I was curious as to what they may have said about that (having sex in the Renault). It would be interesting to discuss it with them.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Did my words actually scratch that sharply?<<

Nope.

>>Did they find the remains of the Renault? I heard that all that's left is a heap of twisted metal.<<

They weren't really sure. The problem with poking around in a wreck at 12,500 feet is that the lighting is lousy, it's easy to get disoriented, and you just can't be sure at all time that what you think you see is what you actually get.

Bottom line; They found a candidate, but couldn't say anything conclusive.

As the Renault was built of much thinner metal then the ship and has been under salt water for over 92 years, I'd be greatly surprised if anything remained beyond the engine block and a few fragments.

Jul 11, 2001
Hmm, maybe four rubber tires, the leather from the seats, glass windshield, the engine block, Brass lamps and fittings? Whether any of it is buried or not really depends how deep the sediment is in the cargo hold.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The glass, the brass and the engine block I can believe, but I'm not so sure about how well any rubber material would have held up. Perhaps there's somebody out there who's been on an expedition that could shed some light on this?

Jun 12, 2004
I would love to see any pictures that may exist. I can't believe that they wouldn't have taken pictures of the Renault, unless they were unable to for some reason.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
MArk, the Cameron expedition may well have done just that. They had an ROV down in the cargo hold and they got a likely candidate, but the problem is that there was such a tangle of debris covered with sediment, they just couldn't tell.

Par for the course in any wrecked ship, I suppose.

If you get the Ghosts of the Abyss DVD and watch the 90 minute version, you can see for yourself. I'd be interested in hearing what you think.

Mar 18, 2000
Or you can order the Outtakes from "Ghosts of the Abyss" from the THS. 3 issues of the Commutator - great stuff. The last issue, #165, has some photos of the Cargo Hold today.

Jul 11, 2001
Michael, I was thinking that the leather seats would have been dyed and treated much like the shoe leather. Perhaps it too could have been unappetizing to the micro organisms down there?

Jun 12, 2004
Let's try August of 2005. It's already set, Michael. Just need to prepare for it.

I don't know what their focus is going to be, but I hope that the Renault is one of their considerations.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It would be nice if they could find it. What would be even better would be if they could find some way to get into the boiler rooms, but I've a hunch it's not going to happen. The easiest way down short of an opening in the hull would be the spiral staircase leading down to the Fireman's tunnel. I understand it was attempted, but aborted because there was too much silt being stirred up which trashed visibility.

And if the watertight doors are in fact closed, that ROV will go no further even if they can get it down there.

Jun 12, 2004
Well, there is BR #2, which is exposed. Still, the watertight door just forward would hamper any efforts going farther forward.

I am curious about the squash court and swimming pool, too. Have any attempts been made to access them? The pool should be right against the starboard hull on the inside, right around, or just forward of, the first funnel.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I am curious about the squash court and swimming pool, too. Have any attempts been made to access them?<<

IIRC, yes. They just ran out of time. I hope this can be rectified in due course. I don't know if trying to get access to the interior by way of BR#2 is such a swift idea. That area has been gradually collapsing for some time, and is quite a mess, so some safety issues apply. It may be a moot point anyway. If that watertight door is shut, that ROV is going nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.