Replacement Band

J

James William Kyle

Hello. I'm here hoping that a family legend might be answered as either false or true. My Mother has told me over the years of a story that was told to her by my Fathers mother before they divorced. The story goes that my Fathers Grandfather was a Musician and a band leader. His surname was Kyle and his family originally came from Ireland. He lived in Leeds and was quite well known as a musician in the area. Legend has it that he was under contract to serve on the Titanic with members of his band. But due to illness, a bout of flu so the story goes, he and members of his band had to pull out of the voyage. I'm sure that there many such family stories, however my mother says that my Grandmother was very clear on the tale and even claimed that she had the contract and the tickets that were sent to my Great-grandfather before his falling ill. My Gran died many years ago, so of course there is no way of getting a clearer account of the story other than from my mother. I have done some minimal research in the past about the band on the Titanic, mainly books from the Library and the internet but have found no evidence yet that the band that did serve on the Titanic were in fact the last minute replacements that my Grandmother said they were. Maybe someone out there can confirm her story or even debunk it. Either way it would be interesting to find out. Many Thanks for listening.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The point about the tickets suggests that the story might just possibly have some fact. The band travelled as second class passengers, so they would have had tickets.

The players were actually supplied by an agent called C W and F N Black of Liverpool and were technically employed by them. Whether that firm exists I would not know. The band does have the appearance of being something of a pickup band, as they were drawn from several sources. See this site for more. Good hunting!

Reactions: 1 user