Report into the Loss of the SS Titanic [Deleted]

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Hi Douglas,

I'm happy that the book finally arrived, and thank you from all of us who were involved in this project for your kind words.

[Moderator's note: This message and the one above it, originally a separate thread, have been moved to this pre-existing discussion of this terrific book. MAB]

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I am very surprised that this superlative publication has not found its own thread 4 years after its initial publication. It is a brilliantly written book, explaining the sequence of events leading to, during and after the disaster in simple language that anyone can understand. The book deals with controversial issues like the movements of the ship during the collision, the mechanism of flooding, launching of lifeboats, the Californian affair etc in a very unbiased and analytical manner, taking into account all the evidence available and dissecting it thoroughly. Unlike a lot of other books which try to ram their own beliefs down reader's throats as if they were facts, this book approaches every topic in a completely open-minded and professional manner. An absolutely necessary part of anyone's Titanic collection.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I keep thinking I have a copy of this book and I'm shocked that I don't. Sam has been an ET friend for decades and well respected here as an historian. I've got to find a copy---and fast!

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
There are certain subjects in the book that are dealt with so brilliantly that it clears-up a lot of doubts regarding the tragedy.
  • It has the most convincing explanation of the likely sequence of events during the collision, including Murdoch's attempts to avoid it.
  • The pattern of flooding of the ship over time and the related angles of trim.
  • Circumstances dealing with relative positions of the Titanic and the Californian, who saw what etc.
Instead of making blanket statements or standing in judgement like many other books do, this one considers all the evidence available, analyses it and comes-up with the most likely scenario. Where conclusions are drawn, it is clearly explained how and why.

Reactions: 1 user

Ratgirl

Apr 23, 2012
Just finished reading this book and all I can say is WOW! I'm a bit mystified that there has not been any discussion about it on the boards here yet. Has anyone else picked up a copy yet?
Read it, annotated it, learned a great deal from it!

Reactions: 1 user