ReRaise The Titanic Who plays Dirk Pitt

Will C. White

Apr 18, 2007
No actor pops immediately to mind for Dirk, but I'd like to take a try at his sidekick Al-not that Clive will ever let another movie be made from his writings after the 'Sahara' debacle!

Jan 2, 2008
Oh i don't know, perhaps if the script was actually good and closer to the book maybe he'd allow it. I always wonder how brilliant Raise The Titanic could have been and would love to see a more worthy version. Matters very little that we know the ship is broken up, afterall it would only be a movie, a fantasy adventure.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Raise The Titanic... Deal or NO DEAL?<<

Depends. If the cast was good and Hollywood actually made an attempt at what a reasonable person could take as being faithful to the book, I'd go for it. If they do the same hack job which would have even one's youngest kids thinking "Mum, Dad, you've got to be kidding me!" I'll pass!

Jun 12, 2004
Since we know that the real ship is, in fact, broken up, I don't think that a remake of Raise the Titanic would fly. Part of the whole mystique of the story revolved around where the ship was and what kind of state it was in. Now that we know, any deviation from that would likely not be taken seriously.

Just my opinion.

Jan 2, 2008
Well most Titanic movies are not known for their historical accuracy anyway. The great thing about a movie is that you can shun reality. I'd personally love to see Raise The Titanic remade PROPERLY, there is however one thing I'd retain from the original.. That long throaty groaning sound Titanic makes as she breaks the surface, almost like the old lady was protesting in pain for being wrenched from her resting place.

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Imagine Gerry's rousing speech on arrival at the wreck co-ordinates:

"She hasn't gone away, y'know."

happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Well most Titanic movies are not known for their historical accuracy anyway. <<

I don't think anyone here will argue that point. It's that just once, I'd like to see Hollywood do more then just say they'll be faithful to the book a film is based on. I'd like to see them actually do it.

>>there is however one thing I'd retain from the original.. That long throaty groaning sound Titanic makes as she breaks the surface,<<

Keep the music too. That particular score was the real high point of the whole flick.

Jan 2, 2008
The music was great I agree but I have a feeling should the movie ever get a remake Hollywood will "update" the score, and probably end up with something worse than "My Heart Will Go On..and on..and on..and on" *Shudders*

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>something worse than "My Heart Will Go On..and on..and on..and on" <<

I think I'd rather attend a square dance in an active minefield. Not that "My Heart Will Go On" was really all that incredibly bad. It's just that it's been played to death!

It's now a parody of itself...like Eartha Kitt.

I'd love to see a new film based on the book...NOT a remake. But the problem with it is that I don't think that it can based on the Titanic anymore. Everyone knows what the wreck look and there's no way that sucker can be believably floated.

I'd like to see it called "Raise the Gigantic" or "Raise the Goliath" or some fictional ship that would be just like the Titanic in every way but name and specifics. Maybe it collided with another ship in 1915 and sank running into another ship or whatever.

Will C. White

Apr 18, 2007
Jeremy-Funny you should mention 'Goliath'-I seem to remember seeing some really bad TV movie named "Goliath Awaits" about a sunken ocean liner. Michael/Tonya-"Heart" is better (somewhat)when done in Italian by Sarah Brightman, but it still isn't great-it was just designed to be a hit attached to a "big picture". Check out the end credits of any large budget these days and there'll a song, usually also used within the picture, that they hope will be the next big movie hit. I remember the "Raise" score as being one of the good parts of the flick-any idea if the soundtrack is available? WILL