Researching westbound voyages

Matthew Budd

Dec 26, 2011
Hey everyone! I'm attempting to research the sailing schedules of the major ship lines in 1912 and thanks the wonderful (and free) New york tribune archives I have managed to research sailings from New York. However i don't know how to research european sailings to new york. Any help would be hugely appreciated! Thanks

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, Matthew---

Sorry for the late response, but I only just noticed this message.

The Times of London had shipping columns and ads similar to those in the New York papers, detailing the comings and goings of transatlantic liners; its archive (which is a paid subscription service) is at http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/archive/ .

The Ellis Island passenger records at http://www.ellisisland.org/search/ship_list.asp? are searchable by ship; that would also provide the information you're looking for.

P.S. I've changed the title of this thread so that it accurately describes what you're looking for.

Gary Cooper

Jun 5, 2003
There is also a book that I found to be quite useful the 'Morton Allan Directory of European Passenger Steamship Arrivals'. This details the US arrivals of ships from most of the major Atlantic shipping companies giving the date and the ship's name. The only downside is that there is usually no indication of when the ship set out on its voyage. It covers 1912.}}

You can pick them up cheap off Abebooks, Amazon is a bit pricey, though.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
You're quite right about Morton Allan being very useful, Gary, and its 1912 listings at first glance look OK. There are some curious gaps in it, though, for other years; there are, for example, no 1910 White Star arrivals listed except for the Liverpool-New York and Southampton-New York services.

Gary Cooper

Jun 5, 2003
Mark, yes, I noted a few omissions too. I had no luck tracing the voyages of the White Star Germanic in 1902-03 (I think) its not in the book and had to go and take a look at the papers and sure enough it was there. Still, my 'Morton Allan' certainly saved me some legwork in other respects, so it has my vote.