Resources for Making Your Own 1912 Fashions

Jun 11, 2000
Hello, Dee.
This sort of thing is loads of fun, but you really have to be a good seamstress. We're so much taller and, as you say, we have to scale up. And do you wear the horrible corsets and take that into account when measuring? And are you going to use authentic materials for that authentic crumpled look, which even first class women had in 1912? I rather gave up on the Edwardian look, even though I'm a stick insect, and went instead (when younger) for reproducing clothes from the 1920 / 30s. So much freer, and more elegant. Though I have to say, trying to reproduce the pleats / creases Fortuny-style, was not a great success. I'm far too old for this sort of thing now, but there are always the daughters-in-law ... though I suspect they won't want my input to their wardrobes.

deegarretson

Apr 4, 2012
I am not a good seamstress at all, so my attempt will only be poor facsimile. It's going to be a summer project for my daughter and me, for her, because she is small enough to make it less difficult. And no to corsets! She's also young enough so that she thinks it's a fun idea. We've tried to make a dress that looked like one in the Narnia movie, and it looked good on the outside (you wouldn't want to look at all the inside seams.) If it turns out not be be a total flop, I'll post a picture.