Responses to ANTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
The topic of responses of survivors, their families, and among the families of those who perished often comes up in conversations about the various movies. Movie producers, for understandable reasons, are often keen to emphasise those who were deeply moved or who vouched for the accuracy of their production. Not all responses are positive, however, and it seems less common for these to be brought to the attention of the general public. There are exceptions - I seem to recall that there was mention of the Ismay family's response to Cameron's movie in the media, and certainly the media wasn't slow to pick up on the extremely adverse reaction the Murdoch family had to his depiction. I've also spoken to one of Lightoller's grandchildren about how the family felt about the Cameron movie - unsurprisingly, there was a distinct lack of enthusiasm (same with the Boxhall and Moody families, for that matter, and Clear Cameron's nephew Ted was decidedly unimpressed...just for a sampling of responses). Lowe's son, however, was somewhat happier with the end product.

ANTR, however, has received a somewhat more mixed response. Even after nearly fifty years, it was still evidently very painful for those who lost loved ones - the response of one of the Moody family bore witness to this. Intriguinging, a recent interview I did with the Lowe family reveals that Harold Lowe's daughter was also not at all happy with the making of ANTR. When those associated with it attempted to contact her she was very distressed, feeling it was a great invasion of privacy. Josie Lowe died in 1996 and so was not subjected to the hype around Cameron's movie, but I imagine that would have left her similarly unimpressed.

D

Drew Adamick

Also, Captain Lord was very upset about the way his character was represented in ANTR.

Mar 28, 2002
Inger, I'd forgotten about this post. I know someone who is very knowledgable about the people involved with the making of ANTR and has interviewed numerous people who starred in it. I'll speak to him and let you know of any stories he may have to tell.

Cheers,

Boz

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
G'day Boz -

That would be superb! I'm currently putting together an article regarding how Boxhall became involved in the making of ANTR, and some anecdotes from his niece. It was she who convinced him to work on the film, and she visited him on set. She was also a friend of Kenneth More's before his film career took off. I'd be very interested in hearing what your contact has to say about the making!

Mar 28, 2002
Afternoon Inger,

No full details yet but I can say that apparently Edith Russell and Lawrence Beesley were great fans of the movie as were the 65 or so survivors who all willingly contributed to Walter Lord's book. Edith became a good friend of Bill MacQuitty's (?) because of the movie. He says that as the movie was faithful to the book, he wonders how anyone (survivors, relatives) could possibly not like the movie. He cannot recall any negative repsonses to the movie from his interviews with the actors at least. Anyway, I've talked him into the Curry Night in Brick Lane next month. I think you two will have a great deal to talk about!

Cheers,

Boz

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Brilliant! Cheers, Boz. He may have already been in contact with the Boxhall family, but I'd be happy to share what I know about that side of it. Certainly Boxhall was caught up in it - contrary to a report that appeared in Titanic Voices, although perhaps he did express some reservations. The reservations of Lowe's daughter, at least as far as I can make out, stem more from what she felt was an invasion of privacy.

Boxhall, ironically, was someone who wasn't keen to become too involved in Lord's research for ANTR - reservations stemming, from what the family told me, from his surname (he suspected a link with Stanley Lord, and had strong feelings on the subject of the Californian). Pitman also answered Walter Lord politely, if somewhat tersely, but privately wrote to friends negatively about the book. Don't know if he had a recorded reaction to the movie, though.

Anyway, looking forward to exhanging info with you and your friend over the Curries'n'Cobras!

Status
Not open for further replies.