Restaurant cashiers

Delia Mahoney

Oct 10, 2003
Hello, I have a little question. What were restaurant cashiers' duties? And any more info?
I guess that only Ruth Bowker and Margaret Martin were restaurant cashiers. They were rescue in lifeboat#6, weren't they?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Basically the cashiers were accountants who kept the books for the restaurant, working in an office on the port side next to the restaurant scullery. Ruth, who was 27 and more experienced, was First Cashier. Mabel (not Margaret), who was only 20 and had not been to sea before, was Second Cashier. They worked shifts between the restaurant opening hours of 8am and 11pm and for as long afterwards as it took to complete the work for the day. Ruth was still in the office when the iceberg struck, while Mabel was asleep in their cabin. Like the stewardesses, the cashiers were accommodated in a First Class cabin area - in their case on E deck inboard of an ash ejector (next to passenger cabin E24). And yes, they were both saved in lifeboat No 6.

Delia Mahoney

Oct 10, 2003
Thanks for nice info, Bob! I'm interested in women-crew of Titanic so your post is very curious for me.

All the best,

Delia
happy.gif