Restraint shackles on forward anchor chains

Nov 12, 2006
Hi all,
Just wondering if any one can help here, If any one has got a copy of Leo Mariots 'Titanic, There is a photo on page 39 (bottom right) of Olympics Forcastle clearly showing the anchor chains and the smaller restraining chains, behind these there is a loop on the chain guide, was this a fixture on 'titanic' also as I cannot find a good photo of the forcastle on the 'Titanic'
Thanks
Rich

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Don't take this for an authoritative answer, but I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't be. All of that stuff was pretty standard. As to a good photo of the Titanic's forecastle, as far as I know, there aren't any.(But I could be wrong!)

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Mr. Mariots book is part of my vast collection and has several (into the up double digits) worth of mistakes in it. I would take what you read with a grain of salt unless you have another more reliable source to back it up.

Erik

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
There are many excellent photos of Titanic's forcastle if you're content with looking at the wreck. The forcastle is probably the most photographed portion of the wreck. Ballard took many videos of the chain area. Look at the arial mosaic.

David.