Resurfacing Titanic- Good or Bad?

Lily1912

Mar 24, 2020
Hi! I am currently in the process of writing a research paper about whether or not the Titanic should be resurfaced. Should it be left underwater, or should it be brought to the surface? I would love to know how different people feel about this. When you answer, please also include your stakehold in this matter. As in are you a scientist that is professionally interested, a relative of a Titanic passenger, or just interested in the Titanic in general. Thank you!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It's a moot point since it's never going to happen. I'm not trying to be a killjoy, but I am a realist and that's the reality.

The wreck is not a single homogeneous piece, but two huge ones, the stern half of which is a shattered, twisted and mangled ruin, several hundred large ones, and literally hundreds of thousands of chunks of varying sizes from medium to tiny fragments occupying an area the size of London's Hyde Park under 12,500 feet of water.

The sheer costs of scouring all of that up would never be recovered, and never mind the associated costs of conservation and preservation.

Oh, and one other wrinkle, the tooling needed to get it doesn't simply does not exist.

My creds? I'm a retired sailor as well as an amateur historian. I'm not aware of any relatives of mine who were aboard although I count some of their decendants as my friends.

Reactions: 4 users

Lily1912

Mar 24, 2020
Mr. Standart, thank you so much for your information! It was very helpful! One other question though. If it were somehow practicle and possible to resurface it, would you want it to be resurface? Or do you think it would be best to leave it regardless?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2005
Besides all the valid points Mr. Standart raised there would also be the legal problems. I couldn't see permission from any court being granted to do that. The wreck is pretty much gone now and is more valuable as the artificial reef she has become. She's home to lots of various critters that need her more than some exhibit showing rusted out chunks of steel that would have to have a sign on them so you would know what you were looking at. Were lucky to have all the pictures and video that we do have of her. Not to discourage your research paper, you could do it and what it would take but I think it would have to be done from the angle that this why she won't be raised. I guess in the wildest scenario I could come up with is some Elon Musk type mnght cut of 20 feet off her bow and try to get that up..but again the courts. Me? I'm just a history geek that has been interested in Titanic and other ships for a long time. Oh...and Welcome to E.T.

Reactions: 1 user

Lily1912

Mar 24, 2020
Thank you so much Mr. Christian! Due to what you said about the ship now being more of an artificial reef, I'm guessing the answer to my following question is no. However if it were somehow possible, would you want the ship resurfaced? Part of my paper will be discussing how people feel emotionally about resurfacing it if that makes sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
Personaly I think she should be left alone physically from this point on. The wreck has been documented pretty well. Enough artifacts have been brought up in my opinion. Yeah go and take more pictures/video but leave the rest alone. My opinion on this has evolved over the years and I know others disagree. (see recent discussions on retriveing the wireless equipt). But thats fine. If everybody here agreed on all Titanic related stuff this website would be about 2 pages long...:p

Lily1912

Mar 24, 2020
Mr. Christian, thank you again! I hope we will be in contact about Titanic related things again!

Nov 14, 2005
Oh your welcome and no need to thank me. Most of the people here are pretty friendly and would be happy to answer your questions about Titanic and other ships. Not that I count myself among them but there are some really knowledgeable people here on the subject. Sometimes some threads get a little heated but its all good. This site is one of the few surviors from the early days of the web and full of great info on the subject. You should find it usefull.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
There are very few good reasons to raise any wreck from the bottom, and one is if the hulk presents a credible threat to safe navigation. Titanic presents no such threat. The only other possible reasons would be the potential for some sort of economic gain or, the possible instance of some military vessels, the safeguarding of military secrets.

There is no economic advantage to raising the Titanic. None. Contrary to some popular notions, she was not a treasure ship. She carried passenger baggage, the mails and some general cargo of no special value. Certainly not enough to make any attempt at recovery worthwhile. Since Titanic was not a warship, she had nothing aboard which was of any real military value beyond her capability to carry large numbers of troops.

Lily1912

Mar 24, 2020
Thank you for your response Mr. Standart. It was very helpful! If you are familiar with anyone on Encyclopedia Titanica, I would be very grateful if you shared my thread with them! I would just like to gather as many opinions on this topic as I can.