Return to the Titanic by Dr Robert Ballard

Feb 14, 2011
I called the local bookstore, and Nov 1 is the release date for the new Ballard book..

I will take the text within and Ballard's conclusions with a grain of salt-
what will interest me are the pictures of the wreck- and if there is an over abundance of forepeak images, ill scream!!
A new wreck mosaic would be nice..
regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jun 12, 2004
Tarn, when it comes to the Titanic wreck, I would say that Ballard is the authority. After all, he is the one who actually found the wreck in 1985 and studied it thoroughly before anyone else had. As for the excess of forepeak images, I do tend to agree, although he has taken some very good photos of other parts of the ship. I would like to see a full wreck mosaic, but I'm not sure if or why he would have a new one constructed, unless newly discovered details warranted it.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Tarn, when it comes to the Titanic wreck, I would say that Ballard is the authority.<<

I wouldn't go that far. The most thorough internal survey of the wreck was accomplished by a team led by James Cameron. I would think that RMSTI has emmassed quite a bit of information too whereas Dr. Ballard's visit was his first in nearly 18 years. Apparently, it wasn't much of a priority with him until recently. Have to agree on taking any conclusions Dr. Ballard comes to with a grain of salt, but then I treat anything with caution these days. I'll buy a copy when it hits the shelves and give him a fair hearing.

Nov 12, 2000
Just received word that this book is now in-print and available for purchase. It was due out in November - beat that deadline by several days! It is showing as available on all the usual new book sites, and is probably at a major bookstore near you now, or will be very shortly.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Feb 14, 2011
next week the book will be in the stores..
poste your impressions here..
Ill bet anything there will be a plethora of forepeak images, just what we need......

Tarn Stephanos

Dec 6, 2000
In history, Michael? I checked "Transportation", where Titanic material usually is - around here anyway. My son works at a different Barnes & Nobles, he's gonna check for me tomorrow.

Dec 6, 2000
Michael - the way they categorize books is somewhat illogical in general. I can see why Titanic could fit under both history and transportation.

Heck, I have a series of fiction books I buy - post nuclear war stuff. Some stores have it under science fiction, some under general fiction. And some under "Men's Adventure"! (you know the kind!) Harder than heck to find!

Feb 14, 2011
What are your views on the book????

Any breathtaking photos of parts of the wreck we might not have seen up close (like the hole above the alcove of the Reading and Writing Room); or is just the same old forepeak footage all over again?
Any new mosaics of the wreck? Truth be told the text will not interest me, as I already know where Ballard is coming from..

Tarn Stephanos

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't think there's going to be much dsispute over what Dr. Ballard's position is and to be very honest, I don't begrudge him that in the least. I may not buy into it in toto but he's as entitled to his opinion as the rest of us. I'll still read over it so I have a good understanding of it however. At least I'll be getting it strieght from the source.

While I can't say that I'm pushing ahead very much save to scope out a few of the pics,there are some interesting photos that have never really been seen befor. The mosiacs are at the very end of the book...bow section only I'm afraid...one from 1986 and one from June of this year. You may be able to dispute claims of cause and effect, but you can't dispute the fact that the condition of the bow section has deteriorated over the years.

I've gotten through the usual summary of the disaster itself and the one disappointment I'd note is the claim that the ship displaced 45,000 tonnes. In fact, that figure is her GRT (Actually 46,328 tons gross and 21,831 net register tons.) The Titanic's full load displacement is 52,310 tonnes at a navigation draft of 34 feet 7 inches as per the information transcribed HERE.

One really bizzaar error I caught was the statement that Bruce Ismay was the managing director of Harland & Wolff...which I haven't seen elsewhere.

Nov 12, 2000
The first error I found in the book was in the fourth sentence, where Ballard states that he led the team that found the Titanic. Sigh. He, of all people, knows very well that he was co-leader with Jean-Louis Michel and that it was a joint American/French expedition that made this famous discovery.

Like Mike S, I have just started to read the book -will post a complete review when I am finished. Since questions have been raised about the photography, I can say that the images are awesome in clarity and definition. On the other hand, there seems to be an awful lot of photos of the crew and submersibles, at the expense of Titanic herself. I also see very few 1986/2004 comparison photographs, which was, I thought, the primary focus of this book.

Tarn, there is a new photo mosaic of the bow, and it is striking in every way, really bringing home more than any other image I have seen yet how the deck at least has been pummelled by 20 years of expeditions landing on it over and over again.

It is not, unfortunately, a fold-out plate, but it is a double-page photograph, and the new one is in color to boot.

The first thing you will notice when you see the book is that the cover photo that has been displayed on Amazon.com up till now was only a mockup. The real cover image is just gorgeous, black with gold lettering and Titanic's bow just appearing out of the darkness. It is a beautiful cover design.

More to come.
Michael (TheManInBlack) T

A

Andrew Williams

To Michael T and Michael S.

I look forward to your independent reviews on what you both think of Ballard and the hard work of his team.

Andrew W.

P. S. I might add this one onto the Xmas list.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>So, can I save my money on this tome? It doesn't come out in the UK until November 26th.<<

Paul, I think you'll find it's worth getting. While it may not be quite the photographic bonanza that we would wish, it's still a description of the expedition itself as well as the soapbox from which Dr. Ballard expresses his views and concerns. (Some of which...in all fairness...may not be entirely misplaced either!) Since you can depend on it being a topic of some debate, you would be well served to be able to refer to it for yourself, that way, you know the whole of what is actually being said rather then parts possibly quoted out of context.

Dec 6, 2000
Yes, it's a nice picture of the bow - but, geez, can't we have a photo of SOMETHING ELSE?

Another error - map page 13. Says the Titanic was *launched* in Southampton on April 10, 1912.

I see Ballard again has a co-author - so it's going to be hard to tell what text is Ballard, what is the other guy.