Review of the Queen Mary Long Beach

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Some other thoughts:
Monday night while having a drink in the observation bar, a over-weight married couple walked in wearing beach attire....
Such is life, when ship board customs no longer apply. I'll wager, though, that that couple probably "stood out" even among casually dressed people.
A few times when I was at the Observation Bar, I'd be wearing a sport shirt and shorts, but smart casual, as were most patrons at the Bar.

I also thought of the times I was at the Fairmont Hotels: Lake Louise in October 2001, and the Chateau Laurier in July 2003.

At the Chateau Lake Louise, the atmosphere at breakfast and lunch, at the Poppy Brasserie, was relaxed and casual; yet, at both the Firview Dining Room and the Walliser Stube, everyone got dressed up for dinner.

I was notified that the same dress code was in effect for the Chateau Laurier: what's acceptable for breakfast is not for dinner; fortunately the local Ottawa marketplace had many an alternative dinner choice, for me.

Look forward to your next visit to LA.

Mar 28, 2002
Morning John,

Sorry to have missed you at the Texas Embassy last month. Next time you're in town, eh?

We are planning to spend a night on the Queen Mary on the first first weekend in June and I am very much looking forward to it, obviously!

You mentioned Father Pirrone cutaway models of the Titanic and Lusitania? These are on the Queen Mary now? I have always wanted to see a cutaway model of the Titanic - drawings are one thing but to actually be able to look into the ship and see all that grandeur...Queen Mary and cutaway models of Titanic and Lusitania...yep, really looking forward to the next ciuple of weeks!

Cheers,

Boz

Jul 11, 2001
Hi Guys!

Yes! I did see the models. I walked up to the exterior side and was impressed by the size of them and the details. I hadn't even realized that they were cut aways till I walked around the other side. The time it took to build must have been significant. Very impressive indeed.

A note about the real Queen Mary. A friend traveling with me asked why the hallway had a long inside wall without any stateroom doors. I explained that the boiler uptakes were on the otherside of the wall, thus there were no cabins there. As we ascended the stairs to the Promenade deck, I noticed a gallery displaying art was located aft of the stairs and ahead of the First class lounge right where the boiler uptake should have been blocking. Apparently when the boilers and forward engine room were removed after it was decommissioned, they "reclaimed" some now empty space on the ship. The former boiler rooms are a huge convention hall or gallery too.

Removing all this heavy equipment required extracting them through the funnel openings. This required removing the funnels. It was then noticed that were not held together by much more than their paint at the time. So all the funnels are newer reproductions. The ship then sat too high as it was much lighter now. So they filled the double bottom with sediment and flooded all her ballst tanks with water. Even now she still sits high with 7 or 8 feet of the red hull paint exposed.

I wonder if they ever planned on towing her into a dry dock to check the hull for significant rust? With all the dock connections and stone breakwater surrounding the ship it seems unlikely. Perhaps in another 50 years they will have a flooded engine room tour!

Jul 11, 2001
One more thing. Late Sunday night, two of us were exploring the lower Cabin class decks and found a forward staircase that led up several decks. At the top there was a locked gate! We both looked at each other with wide eyes and said "Are we locked down in Steerage?" I kid you not! It was a scary sight even though we know it was to prevent the tourists from going down to the Hotel guests section at night.

A real treat was going down to R-Deck and seeing the First class main dining room. It was 10 pm Sunday night and the staff had just cleared the room of tables and chairs from the Sunday Brunch earlier. All the lights were still on and a sole employee with a vacuum cleaner was sitting there enjoying his break. He said nothing to us as we snuck into the room to take photographs. We stood in awe of the large mural on the wall showing the Maps and the ships route on it. The large sunburst was illuminated. It was spectacular. The next day we went back and the room was locked. We tried to get into the Pool area (also on R-deck) but every time the door was locked. Grrrr!

David

Tim Brandsoy

Feb 19, 2002
David,

Great Autos of Yesteryear Car Club http://www.greatautos.org/
(note the acronym ;-))SoCal based, usually has a show there every year "Topless at the Queen Mary" or something like that LOL. I'm a member but I've never made that particular show. I'm in San Diego. I've been on QM a few times, it's always being worked on/restored. She's still one of the most beautiful ships around, especially the Art Deco motif.

OT The Pierre Cardin (or was it Cassini too?) interior looked better in the Javelin.

May 8, 2001
David, & Randy. Me too??? Can I go, can I, can I, huh?? PPLLLLEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZEEEEE!
So, you were a naughty boy and snuck around the ship after hours too? Yes, I have to admit, so did Robert and I, but we didn't get brave enough to go below decks and sneak at night. We thought it was wonderful to almost have the ship to ourselves at night. The fog and all, made it easy to imagine that you were walking the decks in her heyday. They had a prom there, and all these people walked out in full regalia.
Downtown LA at the Peterson Auto Museum they have a nice auto collection, including a Tucker. Tons to do. Looking forward to a get together again on QM.

Jul 11, 2001
Hi Tim!

Great Autos! Yes! you guys have much better events than our Lambda Car club ones! Although we do host an invitational in Provincetown every September. Nothing extravagant, but around 100 guys and their cars enjoying the sights of Cape Cod.

I may have to check into the event at the Queen Mary. Being in Connecticut, I would have to take out a second mortgage to finance the fuel required to drive my Eldorado convertible to the event! When ever I fly out to a carshow I feel funny without my car.

Hi Colleen! Ugh! I totally forgot about the Peterson Museum! One day and two nights in LA is just not enough time. After the Queen Mary I drove to Las Vegas for another day and two nights, then DROVE non-stop the nine hours to San Francisco for a two day three night stay. It was a very very busy week!

I sure hope I can get back to Long Beach in October, even if I have to fly out after work on a Friday then return Sunday afternoon. Hmmm, maybe I can find out when Great Autos has their show......kidnap Randy.....ok, heres the plan. Tim, you pick us up at the Airport in the Cougar, John will be in charge of navigating us thru the LA freeway system and Colleen can meet us there and we'll crash the gates and see all the restricted areas of the ship. Ladies and Gentleman, sychronize your watches!

May 12, 2005
Colleen wrote: "David, & Randy. Me too??? Can I go, can I, can I, huh? PPLLLLEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZEEEEE!"

Of course you will be there! I sent you an e-mail about it actually. Hopefully, Mike Herbold can come, if he's not still posing for the cameras of that home improvement show! And we might be able to finesse old Don Lynch out of hiding again. (Colleen, maybe we can even ferret dear George Behe out of the snowdrifts of Michigan for a Queen Mary jaunt)

David said: "Hmmm, maybe I can find out when Great Autos has their show......kidnap Randy..."

That won't be necessary, my friend. I can endure an auto show, though I'll have to brush up on car jargon so I won't embarrass myself too much.

As to Tim and John, I don't know them but as long as they aren't planning to channel Titanic spirits for a seance on the Queen Mary, in repetition of earlier get-togethers I've heard of, I'm all for meeting them!
happy.gif

May 8, 2001
David. Mike Herbold is the ring leader of going into the restricted areas, but I'm game!
smile.gif

I can sympathize with the 2nd mortgage to finance the trip to Cal in a Caddy. If it would make you feel better, ~I~ will gladly lend you Roberts 65 2 door Coup De Ville, and you could pick up the whole LA Phil Harmonics, and instruments while at it.... but she only gets 08 in the city!.
I mean Coup Devil.... I promise you, that beast has a personality and hates ME.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Hi Iain.

Let me know when you will be at the Queen Mary on the 5th and 6th; look forward to meeting you.

I will be in town that weekend, as I received another reminder that I may have to be in Long Beach on June 7th (for an obligation I postponed, to make sure it did not ruin the QM2 Excursion, for me).

Mar 28, 2002
Will do, John. We arrive on 5th June from San Francisco and due to go aboard that day and fly back to London late afternoon of the 6th. It might be an idea to give me your contact details on e-mail.

Cheers,

Boz

Jul 11, 2001
Hi Colleen!

The 65 Cadillac is obviously jealous of you!
happy.gif
Cars do have personalities, good and bad. A tourist that saw my convertible which is Harvest gold and has an avacado green leather interior, exclaimed "it has the colours of a bad seventies kitchen!" A wag standing nearby then said, "Well then we shall name her the Lady Kenmoore" Hence my car has been christened. I suppose that is better than owning a Plymouth named "Christine"! (apologies to Stephen King).

Randy, don't sweat the car jargon. I often use ship jargon to describe them. LOL. These "Land Yachts" float along and the same rules apply. Port, Starboard, fore and aft. When people ask were my car is, I tell them "In her berth".

Hi lain! Have a great time in San Francisco. Now I understand the Tony Bennett song "I left my heart in San Francisco". It is a beautiful City. If I ever win the Lottery I would buy a million dollar flat on Lombard street overlooking the bay!

Definately let us know about your experience on the Queen Mary. It will be interesting to compare notes.

DavidinHartford

Jul 11, 2001
Boz,

If you are going to be there for a few days, buy a "Muni-Pass". A three day pass is only $15 and allows you to use the Cable cars, trolley cars, Subway (underground) and the city buses. You can get a "Muni-Pass" at the booth at the bottom of the Cable car line on Powell Street where it ends at Market Street. It is a real bargain as the Cable cars are $3 each ride with no transfer passes allowed. The Bus, Trolleys and Subway are only $1.25 and will give you a transfer. A full week pass is $20.

David in Hartford

Tim Brandsoy

Feb 19, 2002
Cars do have personalities! I swear they get jealous. I love the name "Lady Kenmore" LOL. A long time ago someone said about my Mark III "it's a work of art" (or was it a piece of work?) so she became "Mona" Mark III (Lisa) MY Land Yacht.
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/7/4/71744274.htm It's for sale but if it doesn't sell I've already found another storage space come July.

In June I'm going to a Cougar show in Louisville KY w/o my Cat "Lili". That will be weird, but she's got her dance card filled for the summer at various shows and it's too far away to drive. At $2.54 a gallon I'm not driving either of them much lately. But Mona needs to stretch her legs too.

There's a Great Auto's Route 66 Cruise Weekend Oct. 9-10. I'm not sure what it's about exactly. It would be fun to stay at the QM again. And NO, I don't do any channeling, past lives or any of that stuff.

Jul 11, 2001
Hi Tim!

The Mark is sweet looking! The color makes it! I once had a 74 Eldorado hardtop that was Persian Lime Green Firemist. I had it painted white after seeing the same Green car used by hookers and pimps on a Kojak re-run! LOL. I wish I had kept it green now.

I have no clue when the Queen Mary get together is going to happen in October. My invitation to meet Randy for a drink in the observation bar has blossomed into a major ET reunion it seems! Which is great, don't get me wrong. There are so many of you guys, and Gals, who I'd like to meet. But the timing seems to be all hanging on when Randy is going to be there. I just need it to be on a weekend so I can fly out from Connecticut. Plus sufficient notice to get an reasonably priced flight. I'm not the Julie McCoy here. LOL. Although I'm tempted to name the gathering something clever. How's "Something about Mary?"

Tim Brandsoy

Feb 19, 2002
David, Very nice Caddy! A friend in the club had a black/black/black one that was a similar vintage. He said it got 10 mpg no matter where, on the road, in town, babied or mashing the gas pedal.

Bucket seats were an option? With cars like ours we should have an optional "lifeboat" Isetta in the trunk LOL. (How's that for a tie-in?)

As for a Titanic get together at the QM I'm all for it. I've never met any of the fine folks here. I don't have much to offer, I'm not an expert, or published, but I'll be content to be a good listener!