Ring

JulioFCampos

JulioFCampos

Hello,

Saw this ring being sold at auction as being from the wreck, removed during the 2005 Caladan Oceanic expedition.
The certificate seems to me as a red flag, as it's form a autograph certifying firm. But I know nothing about that so could be wrong.
So, I'm curious if (for US$100.00) it's a real deal, and if it is it is legal to sell/own this kind of stuff? I thought the, besides coal pieces, any passenger belongings should not be removed from the wreck.

Thank you for any inputs.

Júlio

12819460 3

12819460 2

12819460 1

Gordon Mooneyhan

Gordon Mooneyhan

Caveat Emptor--let the buyer beware.

IIRC, RMS Titanic Inc. owns all salvage rights to the wreck.

The fact that you are asking if this is legit should tell you all you need to know.

JJAstorII

JJAstorII

Unfortunately it is most certainly a fake. No Titanic artifact would ever go for $100

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
IIRC, RMS Titanic Inc. owns all salvage rights to the wreck.
You're correct, Gordon. RMS Titanic Inc., has never been permitted to sell the artifacts as piecemeal. The so called 'Certificate of Authenticity' is dubious - the fact that it simply says 'Ring From Titanic - Woman' reveals a lot. That is not provenance. Plus there was no expedition to the wreck in 2005.

Without question, it is a fake. Just someone who is looking to make a quick buck off a gullible person, who doesn't know any better. I've noticed too many fakes lately on eBay - I hope no one gets taken for a ride on this one.

Last edited:
Gordon Mooneyhan

Gordon Mooneyhan

I'm doing research for a book on the legal responsibilities of Captains Smith, Rostron, and Lord on the night the Titanic sank. A friend who is also an attorney and has a degree in Maritime Law is proofreading the manuscript for me (he also is interested in maritime history). I've been looking for a piece of coal from the Titanic to give him for helping me...there are so many out there. I would only buy direct from RMS Titanic Inc.