RMS Aquitania The Ship Beautiful

Jan 5, 2001
I wanted to thank everyone who has expressed an interest in my work, and the upcoming Aquitania book.

As far as I am aware, we are still on course for a February publication date. It shares the same format as the Majestic book - heavily illustrated with a number of colour images (even more, this time) and a concise account of Aquitania's career with considerable new, original material. A key highlight is a number of colour slides (over 30) of Aquitania, covering 1945-50, many previously unpublished and all of them rare. There is also a lot of original research material which has been relegated to the appendices, and can be ignored or read at the reader's leisure.

I have posted a Bulletin on my website which gives a link to the relevant book page for RMS Aquitania: The 'Ship Beautiful':

http://www.markchirnside.co.uk

The page has an image of the cover, as well as more details about the book itself (including a contents listing, the appendix titles and some personal comments) and the publisher's description.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Mark,

Just as your previous books have been, this one sounds very exciting! What a superb and vibrant image of her for the cover.

All the best with this book and I look forward to purchasing a copy.

Best regards my friend,

Jason
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'll be looking forward to this, Mark.

BTW, I recieved the e-mail notification from your website about the book and the relaunch of the website itself, so the system is working. The redesign of the website is impressive as well, and much easier to use.

Jan 5, 2001
I appreciate your kind comments, Jason. Thanks for your well wishes -- I'll certainly need them!
wink.gif

Best wishes,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Thanks, Michael.

I am glad to hear the e-mailing list is working. One of the glitches (as if there weren't enough already!) involved the confirmation e-mail. Once you've subscribed, it automatically sends a confirmation e-mail to you with a link to click on. This confirms you're willingly subscribing to it. Unfortunately, it seems some of these e-mails have ended up in spam folders. (Often, people mark an e-mail as 'spam' rather than clicking 'unsunscribe' to the relevant mailing list. This mucks up the system.) I am still working on that one!

Best wishes,

Mark.

Sep 2, 2009
Mark:

You know, I am awaiting to see the final completed work. With the rest of the wonderful color images I have not been able to to add for my personnel collection as of yet.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Mark,

As you know, I am also anticipating the appearance of the new color images ;)
Best of luck!

Good wishes,
Eric

Jan 5, 2001
Thanks for your kind comments, Steven.

I am very grateful for your help, especially when you were so busy. Hope the book lives up to expectations; by all means contact me privately when the time comes.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Thanks, Eric!

I am very optimistic that the photos will be printed at a high standard. I just hope that the large colour-coded 1920 first class plans make it for a full page spread.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
What a beauty of a cover! I already know the text is first-rate! ;) Very excited to see that it is almost on my bookshelf.

Feb 14, 2011
Mark, does your book discuss what became of the Aquitania's fittings and paneling once she was scrapped? It would be nice to discover that there are some homes, hotels and/or pubs in Britian fitted with Aquitania paneling and furnature....

Jan 5, 2001
Thanks for your interest, Tarn.

quote:

does your book discuss what became of the Aquitania's fittings and paneling once she was scrapped?
Not really, no. There are some passing remarks. I think I mention her bell ending up on QE2, for instance. In general, it's not covered because there was no room.

The allocated length of the book was the same as that for the Majestic one. Given that Aquitania was around for so much longer, albeit under the same owner and the same name, in that regard the narrative is more concise. However, what I've tried to do is to pack the book with as much new and original material as possible. I've also packed a lot of statistics, reports and other material into the eight appendices, and a few fellow researchers who have seen a preview have enjoyed them. Having said that, I am still very nervous...as I always am when I have a book coming out. I just hope it reaches the level of people's expectations.

Best wishes,

Mark.​

Feb 14, 2011
Mark, I have no doubt your Aquitania book will be stellar, and will be required reading.
You have earned a highly respected reputation in the Titanic community as a dedicated researcher and a published ocean liner historian.
You have my admiration and respect.

Keep up the great work!

Peace

Tarn Stephanos

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>You have a lot of faith in me.<<

Thus far, you've earned it and then some. Your latest work, on the Majestic, was a fine piece of work. I especially enjoyed the photos which went along with the text. Unfortunately Mark, there are few people out there these days doing the kind of writing on the individual histories of liners that you've been writing. The Aquatania edition you're writing is looooooooooooong overdue.

Feb 14, 2011
I am eager to see the colour photos of the Aquitania- Until now, the only published colour photos of Aquitania I have seen were in the book 'Majesty At Sea-The Four Stackers."

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
You have a lot of faith in me.

A lot of us do, Mark, and as Mike said you've earned every bit of it.