RMS Aquitania The Ship Beautiful

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>We could examine almost any year and find a horrific storm.<<

Given the often unpredictable and violent nature of the weather on the North Atlantic, it would be truly remarkable if a year went by without a bad storm.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The Amazon date is not correct,<<

I'm not surprised it didn't hold. Amazon is a very useful resource but they always seem to be well behind the power curve with publication dates.

That new article you have on your website is an impressive piece of work.

Jan 5, 2001
I am glad you enjoyed it, Mike. It is interesting to see the changes made over the years. Getting the images down to an acceptable size for the website was difficult but, for the price of a couple of additional weeks' waiting, the full version of those colour-coded plans will be displayed in a nice spread in the middle of the book.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It is interesting to see the changes made over the years.<<

Such changes are quite typical over the operational lifetime of a ship. Whether for a merchent vessel or a warship, markets change, new technologies emerge, and the ships have to change with them.

>>the full version of those colour-coded plans will be displayed in a nice spread in the middle of the book.<<

That, I'll be looking forward to! That and whatever you do next. The Mauritania would make for an interesting study.

Jan 5, 2001
I've got several ideas for projects that I'm working on, but I'm afraid to say that none involve Mauretania. There is quite a lot out there already and, at present, my strengths lie elsewhere.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Amazon's dates should be treated with caution<<

Got that right! They always seem to be waaaaaaayyyyyy behind the power curve. The Naval Firepower book I ordered in Novemeber...which was supposed to have a December release date...didn't get to me until March!

Aug 8, 2007
Canada
Hi Mark, looking forward to it! This already stands to be my favorite book and I haven't even seen it yet! This morning, however, Amazon.ca sent me an email saying that I shouldn't expect shipment until February 2009, so I hope Amazon just has their dates mixed up.

Russell

Jan 5, 2001
Thanks for the kind words!

Russell, you've set a very high standard for me...hope the book meets your expectations.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
quote:

This morning, however, Amazon.ca sent me an email saying that I shouldn't expect shipment until February 2009, so I hope Amazon just has their dates mixed up.
This passed me by earlier, but I had a private e-mail asking about it. Apologies for not addressing it before.

The position is precisely as I have already stated on my website and on here. The book went to the printers in mid July, and will begin to appear over the next few weeks. I don't know how fast or efficient the distribution method will be...I can only judge from experience with the Majestic book.

I have no idea why Amazon are saying otherwise. I do know from past experience - with each of my previous four books - that Amazon often put out notices with inaccurate dates. They usually issue a delay notice as soon as it becomes available.

Maybe their automated computer system is playing tricks. We would probably get more sense if we asked the late Kim il Sung's goiter!

Best wishes,

Mark.​