RMS Britannic

John Keffer

Aug 18, 2005
i'm new to this forum, i came across a letter written on rms britannic stationary the date of the letter was aug. 1899. i'm looking for passenger lists for the britannic for that year. i know the rms britannic 1 was built in 1874 and scrapped in hamburg germany in 1903. any info would be helpful. thanks.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello John,

Welcome aboard. I moved this thread to here where it's more appropriate, since the topic you originally posted it in, is discussing Britannic II.

Are you looking for passenger lists for the US or the UK?

John Keffer

Aug 18, 2005
Thanks, i'm looking for US passenger lists. I know the britannic 1 was put into service as a troop ship in October of 1899, so i'm looking for lists before that date. thanks again.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Unfortunately, the Ellis Island web site doesn't allow searching by ship name. The only way to get to a passenger manifest for a particular sailing, as far as I know, is if you already know the name of at least one passenger.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
It seems as though I forgot to reply to your post, Mark!

You're right, that's the only way you can do a search on their. I was under the assumption that John already knew the passenger's name, from the letter. Perhaps he does.

Todd Custadio

Aug 26, 2005
Hello-
I'm new to the site, and i'm wondering if anyone knows more sources for this boat. My reason is this: I believe that my great grandparents, Maurice and Catherine (Powers) Donovan came to America from Ireland in 1889 on it. Now the problem is, the only ship's register i've seen of this boat for that year is the December trip, and they aren't on that list. So i'm wondering if there's another trip they made that year to America, and if so, how i can find it?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
A quick review of The New York Times' shipping reports for 1889 suggests that Britannic arrived in New York on the following dates (or maybe a day or so earlier or later) in 1889:

13 January
16 February
15 March
12 April
10 May
8 June
5 July
2 August
29 August
27 September
25 October
22 November
20 December

Hope this helps.

Todd Custadio

Aug 26, 2005
Mark-
Doesn't narrow it down, but at least i know that the facts (as I found them) aren't impossible! (The concept of my great-grandfather Maurice fudging his birth date up two years, so that he's only six months younger than his brother instead of a year older...now that's a different story!!) So i have some dates now to start researching....
Thanks!
T.C.