1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. More information
    Dismiss Notice

RMS Carpathia Tea Set

Discussion in 'Titanic on ebay' started by Aidan Bowe, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Aidan Bowe

Aidan Bowe Member

2. Saw that too. Did not know Carpathia belonged to the White Star Line! :rolleyes: That guy has more of that silly stuff with RMS Olympic on it and people really bid and pay a lot of money for that garbage!

3. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

Should be reported to E-Bay for selling fake items.

4. Aidan Bowe

Aidan Bowe Member

I have reported it but they don't appear to have done anything. Interestingly there are 2 other Ebay profiles in the same town as him also selling these fakes....

Rob Lawes likes this.
  5. Ebay did not really care, the other items had been reported too, I reported also another fake, nothing was done!

6. Ebay is funny like that. I had a genuine, embossed, white star line fruit bowl made by the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths company and e-bay pulled it. They wanted it listed in the furniture category. The silver plated fruit bowl was genuine and had bids on it when it was taken down. I ended up selling it off of e-bay to a dealer who confirmed it was indeed genuine. I was on the phone for about an hour with the folks at e-bay and they wouldn't budge on the listing as their "experts had decided".

7. Phil baker

Phil baker Member

I posted a listing on another forum about this and you can CLEARLY see how old these items are !! i am happy to have purchased two of them and having received both items the age is something that can’t be denied!! They are genuine memorabilia, exactly as listed!! The guy even refunded me £2.30 postage and has great feedback!! Enough said!! I started collecting in the 1970s. I started with an ebony carved piece from the Olympic. Still got it !!! Been offered £150 but will never sell

8. They might be old but they are neither White Star Line nor from Olympic or Carpathia (which belonged to the Cunard Line). The seller is a swindler, quite simple. Putting a WSL Flag on every silverware and then try to sell them as such.

Rob Lawes likes this.
  9. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

Having a closer look at some of the items previously on offer, I've looked up a couple of the manufacturers marks and date stamps.

Quite why White Star felt the need to commission the purchase of silver plated items for the Olympic in 1916 when she was serving as a troop ship and had been stripped of all of her peace time fittings is anyone's guess??

Here's a handy guide for those who wish to purchase the real items:

White Star Line silver plate, a brief buying guide. Advice for collectors old & new.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  10. Phil baker

Phil baker Member

You must realise what you are saying !!! Which clearly you don’t !! The seller could be ANYONE !!! How can you call them a swindler ?? Especially when the items are clearly VERY VERY OLD!!! Are you implying the person is like a hundred years old or something?? True age is clear on an item and cannot be faked !! I’m perfectly happy with my purchases as are eBay and everyone else that’s bought them. Just read the feedback !! Souvenirs have been around for centuries. Money was scarce in war time aswel !! Have you seen some of the memorabilia from WSL. There’s loads on eBay !! Are you saying it’s all fake ?? All due respects to your opinions but there a bit strong

11. They are fakes because they are NOT original White Star Line silverware. What is the problem to understand that? The seller add the WSL flag on everything selling them as WSL silverware from Olympic and Carpathia (which even did not belonged to the White Star Line it was a Cunard Liner!). So what do you call that?! The seller is a liar and swindler quite simple. If you can not separate original WSL silverware from the "faked" ones, your problem. But don't start to discuss such matters with WSL collectors and people who know the difference.
    And as I stated above, the silverware might be really old but it is not from the White Star Line.

Harland Duzen likes this.
  12. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

To support Ioannis, none of the items listed on e-bay by the seller in question are listed as souvenirs or memorabilia. They are all listed as White Star Line RMS Olympic. This implies they are genuine, Olympic used items.

As has been posted and shown in the collectors article, none of those items conform to the format used by White Star or the items manufacturer.

Finally, as has already been said, even my 7 year old son knows that RMS Carpathia was a Cunard liner. To think someone paid £111 for that is shocking.

A quick search on e-bay shows you can purchase tea sets of the same vintage and better quality (without the added White Star name of course) on a buy it now for less than half that.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  13. Aidan Bowe

Aidan Bowe Member

It makes me so angry that this tat is still be peddled as genuine. All these fraudsters are doing are buying tatty bits of silver pieces from thrift stores or car boots and then faking the White Star flag. Yes the actually items maybe (loosly) of the period but that's where any authenticity ends. I suppose all we can do is highlight these fakes and then leave it up to people to bid as they see fit. The old saying " A fool and their money are easily parted" comes to mind

Ioannis Georgiou likes this.
  14. Phil baker

Phil baker Member

This is utterly ridiculous !! Firstly it is listed as memorabilia!! It doesn’t even have to be made for a white star line ship which it could have been anyway . None of us were around back then to say . Thing is people on here are accusing the seller of faking it himself/herself !! How the hell do you know that ?? Your not stating facts just opinions!! That’s shocking !! The engraving has NATURAL age!! I have bought 2 pieces!! If he did it himself it must have been way back in the last century!! You people are making accusations that are UTTERLY ridiculous.
    1) listing says memorabilia!!!
    2) age is clear as Crystal !!!
    3) how much stuff is out there that’s not made specifically for white star line ??? Answer.. LOADS!!!
    4) we don’t even really know that it wast made specifically for white star line!! I saw pieces like this BACK IN THE 1970s!!! So that definitely shows that it’s not the fakes you say!!
    Problem is you lot don’t really know anything other than what you see on eBay ! It’s not on eBay so it doesn’t exist right ?? WRONG!!
    They found songs by Elvis Presley after he died for God’s sake !!! Get real you lot
    Anyone with any sense would not make these accusations!! And I’ve already sold one of my pieces for more than I paid to a collector from SA

15. Phil baker

Phil baker Member

I meant to put google ! Also I must add that I did take both my pieces to auction. After I saw your posts and they were verified as genuine then so that’s good enough for me !! That’s just their opinion but it’s a fairly educated one

16. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

Ok, good luck to you. I hope you enjoy your pieces.

If you're interested, I can source some genuine period memorabilia. I'll do you a great deal. How about a 1920 RMS Californian silver plated memorabilia dish for starters? It will be a nice, genuinely old item.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Harland Duzen likes this.
  17. Aidan Bowe

Aidan Bowe Member

I've also got a nice dinner plate stamped Noah's Ark if you fancy that??:)

Rob Lawes likes this.
  18. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

Oooh, I fancy that. I'll swap you for my signed Elvis CD as I don't listen to that anymore.

19. Aidan Bowe

Aidan Bowe Member

Rob. That sounds a fair deal!:D

Rob Lawes likes this.
  20. Phil baker

Phil baker Member

Problem here is very simple to ascertain! You people here clearly don’t have any vision past what you can google !! If it’s not on google then you don’t believe it! I have just bought a souvenir originaly from Pratt souvenirs in Southampton! It is a small glass rms Olympic ! I’m 100% sure it’s from Pratt’s because of the paperwork with it. It has full provenance yet it’s the only one I can find. Ie there is not another one on the internet. Does that mean it’s fake then in your eyes ??? You do not know all of the items that were souvenirs or made at the time and what items were used on the ships ect ! There was a coin found recently that they never knew was used at that date. Things are not always as you see on tv you know or read or google !! I was in the armed forces and there have been several documentaries made about the regiment I served with. All of them are crap !! Even down to the day to day things like that what time we get up in the morning !! You can’t just rely on what you read !! These items are clearly very old and just because someone makes money from them should not be critisised by you !! It’s a clear cut case of sour grapes for gods sake ! If your not buying then don’t voice your opinions in this manner ! You haven’t even seen the items in the flesh ! I have !! And I can tell you they are very old etchings aswel !! It’s natural wear and oxidation!! You CANNOT copy that !! It’s like Verdi Gris green colour on lead and copper rooves ! Impossible to reproduce exactly !