RMS Majestic The Magic Stick

Jan 5, 2001
On another thread, Michael Standart suggested that he would like to be given a 'heads up' as to when my third maritime book, provisionally entitled RMS Majestic - The 'Magic Stick', becomes available for pre-order. As yet I don't know when it will be listed on sites such as Amazon UK, but when pre-orders are being taken I'll post in this thread. (Based on my previous experiences, I would assume it might be listed any time from spring 2006.) Even better, I'll post when it appears on my publisher's website, where it can be ordered direct. Authors tend to make much more money (per book sold) from those sales than through mass-market retailers -- in some cases twice as much.

I posted some information about the book on my website: '[My] third maritime book for Tempus Publishing, provisionally entitled RMS Majestic: ‘The Magic Stick,’ has been completed and is currently under contract with a potential publication date in 2006 or spring 2007. Majestic became the White Star Line’s flagship in 1922 and was among the most successful passenger liners of the time. She was the largest liner in the world for over a decade and had a reputation for luxury, comfort and security that attracted the cream of the North Atlantic passenger traffic. Based on the same successful format as Tempus’ books on Berengaria (authored by Les Streater), and the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth (authored by Janette McCutcheon), the book will provide a detailed summary of the life of this often overlooked liner. Containing a number of new insights into this fascinating ship, including previously unpublished voyage diaries and fresh information on the ship’s operation, this heavily-illustrated volume will also include a number of rare and colourful images of the "Magic Stick."'

Indeed, for a book of this format the emphasis is truly on the illustrations, whereas my previous two maritime books have been much more reliant on the text. Anyway, I'll post any updates in this thread -- if anyone is interested.

Best regards,

Mark.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Mark,

Your book sounds like it will be a terrific read, along with all the photos! I'm looking forward to hearing more about it as time goes by and eventually seeing it published.

All the best with it!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jan 5, 2001
Thanks for all the kind words, and the interest. The Majestic really was a magnificent ship and, like many, hasn't enjoyed the attention that she merited. After all, at around 56,000 gross tons she was the largest ship in the world for more than a decade; she was among the very fastest afloat (her fastest crossing was faster than Leviathan's, and at 25 knots perhaps Mauretania's nearest rival before 1929); her popularity from 1922-32 seems to have been even greater than her sisters', and for a number of years in the 1920s she was the most popular liner afloat. Even for one of the 'Ballin' trio, she won praise for her steadiness, and the way she seemed to cut through the water at 24 knots leaving very little wake for a ship her size was considered remarkable. For such a large ship, as is well known her fuel costs were heavy, yet her popularity ensured she was very profitable indeed in her prime.

I think I've managed to find some new information and facts to put in, while making the text readable and interesting. I've relegated a lot of technical detail to the appendices, so that anyone interested in that sort of thing can read it all there. I'll certainly post with further information when I have it, and I hope that you'll all enjoy it when it does become available.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Apr 22, 2012
This sounds like it'll be a good read, Mark. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the Majestic, so it's high time I get myself a good book on her.

Please, do keep us posted.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I have often searched for images of the Majestic online, but few exist it seems. I cannot wait for this book to come out. If its at least half has enjoyable as your previous two books, then we will all be in for a treat.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Brandon,

Thanks very much for your interest! I'll be sure to let you know.

Hi Steve,

I appreciate your kind words. I hope that the book lives up to expectations! There are a few really cracking, rare images that will be included (on this one, I've got a little more control over the picture selection). These include a large number of unpublished photos, and there are some great colour illustrations and deckplans which will be going into it. Fully half the book may be in colour; it will certainly be close. Although it's a shorter book that my previous two maritime ones, I do feel quite pleased with the text and I think my writing has improved further. I'm really looking forward to seeing the proofs, as my publisher does have some really skilled designers for these books in this highly-illustrated format.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Mar 17, 2010
London
Sounds like it will be a good read! It will definitely be near the top of my multi-page wishlist
happy.gif

Carla

PS. Don't stop writing - you're quite good!

Jan 5, 2001
I thought I'd share the front cover and the blurb/publication details, in the rare event anyone is interested in this book:

your_image.gif

RMS MAJESTIC THE ‘MAGIC-STICK’

MARK CHIRNSIDE

Laid down and constructed for the
German Hamburg-Amerika Line, Majestic
was later ceded to Britain’s White Star Line.
At 56,000 tons, she enjoyed a long reign as
the world’s largest ship. She spent most of
her life on the Southampton—New York run
but cruised to Canada as well as offering
short cruises from Southampton. With sumptuous
interiors as well as luxurious restaurants and
public rooms, she plied her trade until 1936.
Saved from the scrapyard, she was instead converted
into a training ship for naval cadets, and sailed
for Rosyth as HMS Caledonia, surviving until 1939,
when she was burnt out.

With an extensive collection of archive
pictures of the Majestic and other ships,
including photographs of the White Star
vessel’s stately rooms, and striking paintings
of the ship in vibrant colour, as well as
a fascinating and comprehensive narrative
chronicling the life of the vessel,
RMS Majestic: The ‘Magic-Stick’ provides
a complete history of a ship that was once the
pride of the White Star Line.

Mark Chirnside’s previous two works,
The Olympic Class Ships: Olympic, Titanic &
Britannic and RMS Olympic: Titanic’s Sister
(both published by Tempus Publishing), have
become the definitive works on these vessels,
and have twice earned him ‘Book of the Month’
in Ships Monthly. He lives in Leamington Spa.

MARK CHIRNSIDE

RMS MAJESTIC

THE ‘MAGIC-STICK’

£19.99

Tempus Publishing Ltd​

Further information as to the publication date will be posted when it becomes available, and my website page will be updated. For now, suffice to say that it will be this summer.

Best regards,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
I wonder if a moderator can help me add the front cover image to the above post? I have tried many times for the last hour and for the life of me cannot get it to upload; I have the file, at 34.3 kb -- under the 35 kb limit.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Mark---

If it hasn't been done by tonight, NYC time, I'll try to upload the copy you emailed to me last week.

in the rare event anyone is interested in this book

Rare? LOL! You can take your tongue out of your cheek, OM.

;-)

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Carla,

quote:

Sounds like it will be a good read! It will definitely be near the top of my multi-page wishlist
Thanks for the kind words.
smile.gif
Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, I think our posts crossed.

Hi Michael,

quote:

You can see a picture of the book's cover at this link
Thanks very much for posting that link for everyone to view. The cover really does look good on your website. I'm glad the publisher's description was useful. When I have some concrete information as to the precise release date, I'll be sure to let you know ASAP. Your website does a sterling job and I know a large number of people appreciate it.

Hi Mark,

quote:

If it hasn't been done by tonight, NYC time, I'll try to upload the copy you emailed to me last week.
That would be really nice of you, I'd appreciate that.
smile.gif
Thanks for the kind offer. I would say to anyone reading this read that the description above in my first post is different to the blurb on the cover that I sent to you, as some small problems have been addressed.

quote:

You can take your tongue out of your cheek, OM.
OM? Old man? You can't set the bar that low!
wink.gif

I need to keep my tongue in my cheek -- that way, it helps keep my foot out of my mouth!
smile.gif

Best wishes,

Mark.​